No announcement yet.
X

Most common rider mistakes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOT PRACTICING!! (braking, emergency manoevers, etc)

Target fixation

Not understanding countersteering

Not making smooth inputs to the controls

Ridng over their heads

Not learning about MSF-skills and traffic awareness

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Pushing other riders to go your (my) speed, or visa-versa, when riding together. That's the one mistake I make too frequently (I ride rather fast on the interstates), often because I don't realize their physical limitations (such as poor night vision).

Not urinating frequently enough (leads to kidney stones because of the vibrational nature of motorcycles). Once you've had one, you learn that lesson well.

Not drinking enough fluids because riding is a fairly non-taxing event; just breathing robs you of substancial liquids on a motorcycle at speed.

The others covered the traditional ones.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Going fast to early, kinda like running before learning how to walk.
        The rest of the guys have touch base on the most frequent one like Cyber said.

I have a question, what foot do you put down first? I have always put the left foot down first. It could be because I dominate on the left. I dunno!
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
          I have a question, what foot do you put down first? I have always put the left foot down first. It could be because I dominate on the left. I dunno!
          The one closest to the ground...
          It's highly dependent on the slope of the ground.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            The one closest to the ground...
            It's highly dependent on the slope of the ground.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Hmm. Sometimes right, sometimes left, sometimes both. I'm not sure if I favor one or the other.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

I typically put down the left, so as to keep the rear brake covered. Especially if I need to have a hand free to fiddle with something, raise my visor, etc.
                '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Yup, always the left , not sure if its just force of habit..im right handed though, so who knows..i think it really depends on if Im sitting there with it in gear or in neutral.. if its in neutral..my right foot is down so I can put it in gear when the light changes and hit it.

Comment

Being in a higher gear then you should be.
                    Attempting to lose speed after you start a turn.
                    Keeping up with better riders pushing it too far.

Comment

Originally posted by irenekat
                      leaving turn signals on
                      I do that a lot.

Lane postioning, I move around in the lane most all the time. I move to where I can see as far down the road as I can. And, by constantly moving, cagers are always looking at me to see what I am doing or going to do. But that is what is comfortable to me.
                      2000 Kat 600
                      "Fast Blue"
                      Pic in Profile

Comment

something i do a lot that you may concieve as squidly....

when my buds and i all ride, we generally park close to the place we're going. sometimes if we go to the movies, we park front row in the XXXed off sections. sometimes on the sidewalk. but if we park on the sidewalk, i generally run it by the security guard or at least someone who looks important or has access to a tow truck number..
                        if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Originally posted by paperairplane
                          relying on the rear brake
                          Sorry, but I don't get it. Considerring that the rear brake accounts for 30-40% of your stopping power, you most certainly should rely on it. This is not the first time on this and the other forum that someone mentions ..or insinuates that you should not rely on the rear brake. At the gap, I think I will make a challenge. Who can stop in the shortest distance from a set speed without locking the brakes. I think when some of you riders who shy away from using the rear brake see just how much farther it takes for you to stop than someone who is confident in their use of the rear brake, you will make it an intention to work on it.

as for what I think is the most common mistake? there are so many different mistakes that can be made...and that I see made, that it is hard to pick just one. But the one that probably irritates me the most is hearing someone give the wrong advice to someone. I have seen it on forums and in real life way too often. No offense paperairplane, but your answer in my opinion is a good example. Drop your bike some day and snap off the front brake lever and you will know what I am talking about. It can happen, because i did it and had to drive over 200 miles with 3 givi hardcases loaded with gear and a passenger on back with only a rear brake. Right through Montreal in heavy traffic at that.
                          Telling someone not to rely on the rear brake in my opinion is bad advice. Sorry, not trying to be insulting or anything, but that is just how I feel. It is there for a reason.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I am sure we all are or were guilty of all of the above at one time or other!!! I know I am!!!!
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            Who knows what is next?

Comment

Not sure about the MSF course in the US but here in Canada part of the training is to teach you to keep your rear brake covered if at all possible when you are stopped. If you put both feet down or the right foot down it's points against you.

Comment

*cough* not that _I_ ever did this....

but breaking while turning. BAD idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X