X

You are what you ride...says progressive

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are what you ride...says progressive

You Are What You Ride: Progressive Survey Finds Differences Between Harley and Sport Bike Riders Go Beyond Bike Type
    What can you tell about a person by the kind of motorcycle they ride? Plenty, according to a recent countrywide online survey conducted by The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies, the number one seller of motorcycle insurance in the U.S. The survey finds interesting differences - and similarities - between Harley-Davidson riders and those who ride sport bikes.

For example, everyone knows that Harley riders wear their passion for biking on their sleeve... literally. The survey finds Harley riders are three times more likely than those who ride sport bikes to own clothing or artwork that displays the brand of motorcycle they ride (93 percent versus 30 percent, respectively). Harley riders are also more likely to have body art such as tattoos and piercings (52 percent versus 40 percent).

The survey also finds that Harley riders are more likely than those who ride sport bikes to plan rides around where they'll eat (32 percent versus 23 percent). Sport bike riders are three times more likely to eat at fast-food restaurants (18 percent versus six percent), while riders of Harleys are nearly four times more likely to pick restaurants with the nicest looking waiters/waitresses (11 percent versus three percent).

"At Progressive, many of us involved in our motorcycle business are riders, too, and this survey was a fun, tongue-in-cheek way of getting to know more about our fellow bikers," says Rick Stern, a rider for more than 15 years and one of Progressive's motorcycle product managers. "Motorcycle insurance is a very specialized product, and you never know what bit of information may lead to the next insurance innovation."

The survey confirms that both rider groups have much in common, too. For example, both say "freedom" is the number one reason they ride. And though sport bikes are commonly known as "crotch-rockets" or "road-rippers," only six percent of those who ride them say they do so for "speed" while fewer than one percent of Harley riders say the same. Both groups listed the same top excuses for justifying a quick ride: running errands, testing the engine and visiting friends.

Progressive's survey also finds that ninety-five (95) percent of all riders acknowledge their fellow bikers while riding. Waving is the preferred method of acknowledgement (37 percent), although Harley riders are nearly twice as likely to acknowledge other riders by pointing two fingers down (29 percent versus 16 percent). Harley riders are six times more likely to only acknowledge those riding the same style bike (18 percent versus three percent).

Additional survey results include:

-- An overwhelming majority of riders (88 percent) donate time or money to charities. Two-thirds of Harley riders (67 percent) and one-third of those who ride sport bikes (33 percent) participate in at least one charity ride each year.

-- Sixty-nine (69) percent of all riders daydream at work each day about riding their bike.

-- Eighteen (18) percent of all riders call in sick to work at least once a year to go riding.

-- Women prefer to ride with their significant other (58 percent), while men choose to ride with their friends (63 percent).

-- Adding custom parts that enhance the look of their bikes was the number one choice for Harley riders (73 percent), while adding performance equipment was the top choice for those who ride sport bikes (44 percent).

wow thats interesting information.

Comment

Very kewl.
      Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

Its nice to read this stuff....although most of it would be known to most of us anyways. Especially the daydreaming about riding the bike.....everyday now. Taking off a day to work....hell I have taken so many late days in summer just so that i could ride my bike....I dont even remember (my workplace isnt like others I might add). Great find. I like the one where sport bike riders will eat fast food while the harley hogs will go eat at a fancy place with nice waiters and waitressess.....what a bunch of sissies

Comment

Resturaunts serve booze, McDonalds doesn't.

I think the sportbikers were lying too..... only 6% for speed.....ha....
          Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

"Harley riders are six times more likely to only acknowledge those riding the same style bike (18 percent versus three percent"

So very true. I guess when you spend 40k on a bunch of chrome your better then me so you dont have to wave back :P

Interesting. In the end we deal with most of the same problems out on the road (see: cager) Although our machines look and perform differntly its the same enjoyment of being out have a good ride with friends.

Comment

Harley riders are also more likely to have body art such as tattoos and piercings
              crap, does this mean I have to go get more piercings and some tattoos now??

and as for the

while riders of Harleys are nearly four times more likely to pick restaurants with the nicest looking waiters/waitresses
              .... I guess that's why I usually see a bunch of cruisers in front of hooters during the summer.
              - It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

- Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Comment

Tattoos and piercings,HMMMMM dose that mean Katgirl has to get a Harley now???

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Awesome numbers, some are a shock but not that bad. Matt is right, most Harley riders would much rather stop at a pub instead of a McDonald's! There are a few that they missed but I will leave that one alone, no Offense Slim
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Re: You are what you ride...says progressive

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                    ...And though sport bikes are commonly known as "crotch-rockets" or "road-rippers," only six percent of those who ride them say they do so for "speed" while fewer than one percent of Harley riders say the same. Both groups listed the same top excuses for justifying a quick ride: running errands, testing the engine and visiting friends.
                    And as we all know, testing the engine is just another euphamism for "SPEED" (all in caps). 6% -- ja, right!

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      ...And though sport bikes are commonly known as "crotch-rockets" or "road-rippers," only six percent of those who ride them say they do so for "speed" while fewer than one percent of Harley riders say the same. Both groups listed the same top excuses for justifying a quick ride: running errands, testing the engine and visiting friends.
                      And as we all know, testing the engine is just another euphamism for "SPEED" (all in caps). 6% -- ja, right!

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      I think that is primarily the Cruiser riders seeing if the last piece of chrome they installed over the weekend makes their bikes rattle less...but thats just a guess

Comment

Originally posted by OtLa
                        Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        I think that is primarily the Cruiser riders seeing if the last piece of chrome they installed over the weekend makes their bikes rattle less...but thats just a guess
                        WOW, Otla is on a roll
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Progressive's survey also finds that ninety-five (95) percent of all riders acknowledge their fellow bikers while riding. Waving is the preferred method of acknowledgement (37 percent), although Harley riders are nearly twice as likely to acknowledge other riders by pointing two fingers down (29 percent versus 16 percent).

I always acknowledge other bikes, from moped to gold wing, I dont care, wind in your hair is all the same to me. Some dont wave back, but most do. Always throw the peace sign.
                          2000 Kat 600
                          "Fast Blue"
                          Pic in Profile

Comment

Originally posted by 1BlueKat
                            Progressive's survey also finds that ninety-five (95) percent of all riders acknowledge their fellow bikers while riding. Waving is the preferred method of acknowledgement (37 percent), although Harley riders are nearly twice as likely to acknowledge other riders by pointing two fingers down (29 percent versus 16 percent).

I always acknowledge other bikes, from moped to gold wing, I dont care, wind in your hair is all the same to me. Some dont wave back, but most do. Always throw the peace sign.
                            and the occasional bicycle
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            Who knows what is next?

Comment

and scooter !

Comment

Working...
                              X