X

Bike into truck bed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AHF
    But, like Bisq, I have the ramps cranked down...
    It only takes one time forgettin' to make you a long time rememberin' !

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Originally posted by BISQ
      Originally posted by AHF
      But, like Bisq, I have the ramps cranked down...
      It only takes one time forgettin' to make you a long time rememberin' !

You've got that right!

Comment

I just use a set of ramps that I bought fron Menards. they come as a kit with the tops and bottoms and you just use some 2x12's. I think that they only cost about $30.
        PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
        The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by UFO8MyCow
          I just use a set of ramps that I bought fron Menards. they come as a kit with the tops and bottoms and you just use some 2x12's. I think that they only cost about $30.
          that is what I have right now.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

i stole some sewer grates from behind my work then weled on a peice of 6 inch ride steal for a lip. haha they work great for my 4 wheeler

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone, I know of a loading dock here in duluth where that will work how BISQ said, but I do'nt know about down in the cities. I might run down to menards today and see if I cna find some cheap ramps that will hold up.

Comment

You may want to check out Harbor Freight. I used a set of ramps from them to load my bike.

Originally I had borrowed the ramps, but recently I bought my own ramps. I plan on covering them with expanded metal. Expanded metal is cheap, light weight and has good traction.

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Comment

I recently transported my Kat in a Budget truck. The truck had its own ramp so I decided (DUH) to ride the ramp up. Half way up I got cold feet and the bike would not budge and there wasnt enuf space to put my feet down. As some of you are imagining I was too what was going to happen once I was down with 450 pounds on top of me. Luckily one of the guys who was helping me ran up the ramp and gave a huge heave from behind and I gunned the engine almost crashing into the other end (i hit the mattress that was already there so no problems). Lesson NEVER DRIVE UP A RAMP THAT IS CRANKED UP TOO HIGH. The strapping and securing part is the easiest and there a dozen ways to do it. I just used crankable straps and tied the bike to one wall of the truck. Piled up boxes under the wheels so they would not move....laid a heavy mattress set over the other end so it would be cusioned if it ever fell. Drove the truck 350 miles and not a scratch on the baby. Here is my experience.....hope it will give you some insight.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                    You may want to check out Harbor Freight. I used a set of ramps from them to load my bike.

Originally I had borrowed the ramps, but recently I bought my own ramps. I plan on covering them with expanded metal. Expanded metal is cheap, light weight and has good traction.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90018
                    Be careful with that Nick...at 1500 lb total capacity, that's 500 per section, and you know that Kat will only be on one section so it's at it's limit.

Comment

Originally posted by AHF
                      Be careful with that Nick...at 1500 lb total capacity, that's 500 per section, and you know that Kat will only be on one section so it's at it's limit.
                      You bring up a good point. It has concerned me, but right now the budget is tight. I will keep an eye on it and add bracing if I need it. It is not something that I will be using on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                        Originally posted by AHF
                        You bring up a good point. It has concerned me, but right now the budget is tight. I will keep an eye on it and add bracing if I need it. It is not something that I will be using on a regular basis.
                        Just wanted to put that out there...hate to see that thing fold up on your Kat.

Comment

where u going to down in the citys thats where im from

Comment

I use one ramp for the bike and a 2 by 10 board for me to walk on next to the bike as I load it. To load it, I start the bike and clutch it up in 1st gear. Much safer this way than to try to run up the ramp as you'd need to to push a 500 pound bike up! Now if I'm around a loading dock then I'll use that for sure. These newer trucks like mine are such a pain with their super high ride heights. Makes using a long ramp necessary when you're on level ground.

MIke
                            '01 Bandit 1200
                            '82 Yamaha XT250

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                              Originally posted by AHF
                              Thaz, once you use some aluminum ramps that weigh nothing, you'll never touch wood again.

That sooo didn't sound right!

Too funny, I had to have the lumber because the aluminum wouldn't hold up with the snowmobile
                              Thaz, what are you doing with a snowmobile in Phoenix?
                              Common sense is great, it's just not all that common.

Comment

Originally posted by medieval
                                Originally posted by THAZKAT
                                Originally posted by AHF
                                Thaz, once you use some aluminum ramps that weigh nothing, you'll never touch wood again.

That sooo didn't sound right!

Too funny, I had to have the lumber because the aluminum wouldn't hold up with the snowmobile
                                Thaz, what are you doing with a snowmobile in Phoenix?

I had it in Ohio, it was a lake runner. Awesome machine, 130 top speed and great for snowcross!
                                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                                Who knows what is next?
                                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                                X