X

Low beams not working, but high beams do

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low beams not working, but high beams do

Any ideas on how to correct this? High beams work just fine, but the low beams don't work at all. Is this a simple fuse issue? Sorry - I'm retarded when it comes to maintenance and technical stuff. (And if it is a fuse issue, where are the fuses?)

Oh, and just for my information, when you drop a bike in the garage, what should you check once you get it up again? The lights seem to work fine, nothing snapped, and the bike started. Will laying the bike on its side for, say, ten minutes while I strugge to pick it up do any lasting damage?

First off do search on how to pick up your bike.
    There is a great website with video.. Great technique..
    (98 pound woman lifting a bmw)

Next check your oil for gas. If the oil level is high or it smells of gas, change it right away!!!

Lastly, there are two element inside the one bulb.
    (While I'm not sure about 98+) So the low can burn out and high is fine. In fact chances are the high lasts longer as some people don't use it as much.

Comment

what year is it?it could be the bulb/bulbs.it could be a fuse or it could be a ground issue.i had a problem with my low beams(it was a loose wire in the controls)

Comment

The bike is a 1998. I might start by changing the bulbs.

Comment

sounds like a good place to start

Comment

Ah, I see how to pick up a heavy bike now (facing away from it and pushing it up with the legs). I was standing facing towards it, left hand on the left hand grip and right hand under the seat, trying to haul the monster up with brute strength. (Actually, first I tried to wedge a shovel handle under it and lever it up because it was so heavy. Didn't work too well and luckily I didn't crack the plastic). I'm just glad I didn't tear something in my back - it was the most I've exerted my back and leg muscles that I can remember.

Comment

Originally posted by newriderva
              Ah, I see how to pick up a heavy bike now (facing away from it and pushing it up with the legs). .
              Good you found it!! Works really well. I had the Kat fall over (second time) and had read this first! Lucky me!!

Comment

Ah, I see how to pick up a heavy bike now (facing away from it and pushing it up with the legs). I was standing facing towards it, left hand on the left hand grip and right hand under the seat, trying to haul the monster up with brute strength. (Actually, first I tried to wedge a shovel handle under it and lever it up because it was so heavy. Didn't work too well and luckily I didn't crack the plastic). I'm just glad I didn't tear something in my back - it was the most I've exerted my back and leg muscles that I can remember.
                how heavy your bike is depends on how much you love it. when I first got my 1100 back years ago, and it fell over, I snapped that sucker up in a flash and never even broke a sweat. 10 years later it weighed a ton and I was ready to just walk away and say, "fuck it, it can stay where it lies"....lol.

your problem is definately not a fuse. at least I don't believe so cuz on all of my bikes, there is just one fuse, and if it was burnt, you would have no lights at all....meaning no high beam. I am guessing the shock of falling over severed the low beam filament.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                  your problem is definately not a fuse. at least I don't believe so cuz on all of my bikes, there is just one fuse, and if it was burnt, you would have no lights at all....meaning no high beam. I am guessing the shock of falling over severed the low beam filament.
                  +1, no headlight would come on. Short of it being a bad bulb (most likely) You could have a bad wire. Mine had many wire issues because the yahoo that had it before put too high of a wattage bulb in and it fried all the wires. Just make sure you put in the correct wattage (55/60, or something close to that).

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

If you have the 98+ Kat (dual headlights), the problem almost assuredly lies in the high-/low-beam switch. Disassemble the switch pod and spray it out with electrical cleaner, then take an electrical meter and test the continuity through the switch in both switch positions. It's also not unheard of for one of the leads to come unsoldered.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      If you have the 98+ Kat (dual headlights), the problem almost assuredly lies in the high-/low-beam switch. Disassemble the switch pod and spray it out with electrical cleaner, then take an electrical meter and test the continuity through the switch in both switch positions. It's also not unheard of for one of the leads to come unsoldered.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      forgot you had a dual bulb set-up......but I would still check the bulb before anything. common knowledge.....start with the little things first cuz they are usually the culprit. if the bulb is fine, then start tearing things apart.
                      whether you have one bulb or two, knocking a bike over can cause a filament to break. I know cuz I have had it happen. I had to change the headlight plus a flasher bulb the last time. it could be a wire come unsoldered.....I am not arguing that. It's just that I think you will feel a bit more annoyed (and stupid) if you spend time tearing things apart, only to find the bulb is toast.

anyway, dude.....not to be a dick or anything, but when a light stops working, checking the bulb is the very first thing you should do before ANYTHING.....which includes posting on a forum and asking for help. personally, I would kinda feel like an idiot asking for advice, only to discover the bulb was burnt. and seeing as you did not mention anything about checking the bulb, I have to assume you haven't done this yet.....or have you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                        anyway, dude.....not to be a stub or anything, but when a light stops working, checking the bulb is the very first thing you should do before ANYTHING.....which includes posting on a forum and asking for help. personally, I would kinda feel like an idiot asking for advice, only to discover the bulb was burnt. and seeing as you did not mention anything about checking the bulb, I have to assume you haven't done this yet.....or have you?
                        You are sounding like a stub here Mojoe...he did state in the initial post:

I'm retarded when it comes to maintenance and technical stuff. (And if it is a fuse issue, where are the fuses?)
                        He apologized in advance and explained his situation...can't really hack on him for that....
                        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

I am not trying to hack him, Jax. but I stand my ground......mechanically inclined or not, one's first instinct when the bulb doesn't light up should be to check the bulb itself. if it isn't....well.....

maybe if he had of added, "I tried to remove the bulb to check it, but don't know how", I would have seen he at least made an effort. and imho, if he doesn't even attempt to do that, what is he going to do with the 1000 and 1 other things that has to be done on a bike?
                          if he can't even verify the bulb, how do you expect him to even attempt what CP suggested?

so, sorry for being the "bad guy" on this, but maybe it will motivate him to go out and buy a repair manual so he will know how to maintain these simple things that have to be done.....unless he wants to go dish out the cash for the dealer to do it for him.

and newriderva, I really am not trying to bash you here. I realize that even the simplest of repairs can be intimidating if you are not mechanically inclined. so do yourself a favor and go buy a repair manual. I am sure you will find that alot of the maintenance is not all that difficult.........and it will eliminate alot of smartass comment from dicks like myself

Comment

Note to self:

1 - Buy repair manual
                            2 - Check bulbs
                            3 - Don't ask for technical advice

Comment

your problem is definately not a fuse. at least I don't believe so cuz on all of my bikes, there is just one fuse, and if it was burnt, you would have no lights at all....meaning no high beam.

After a little research (here - http://771doug.netfirms.com/electrical2.html), it looks like there are separate fuses for the hi and lo beams (which makes sense from a safety standpoint since it reduces the chance that you're ever left with no headlights because of a single blown fuse). Therefore, I believe it would make more sense to check the fuse ($0.50?) before running off and buying a set of new bulbs ($25.00?).

Comment

Working...
                              X