X

Frame Sliders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Sliders

I've heard a lot of opinions on frame sliders, none of whom I have really trusted. So, I pose a query to all you fine ladies and gents: Are frame sliders a good idea? More specifically, are they easy to install on a 2000 kat 600?

Are the good.... YES!!!

They can save your fairings from having to get redone in a low speed drop, or a standstill drop. They are not ment to protect at highspeed drops though.

Are they easy to install... That depends.

As of right now, there is no brand bracket you can buy to mount them. You can drill a hole through your frame. There is a lot of talk saying that this can weaken your frame. A remedy for that would be to maybe weld a nut on the back of the frame to screw the slider into. You could always fabricate a bracket as well. I guess it really depends on how good you are with building stuff, and if you have the tools and materials.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I definately wish I'd had them..would have saved some of my plastics last summer. Not meant to be a save all, but hey, every less scratch or ding u get on ur plastics is a few dollars less u'll have to spend getting them repaired at some point.

Comment

awhile ago there was something on here about someone making framesliders for the kat. I havent heard anything else but I want them.
        It's a bike saver and they look cool, would have been nice when mine fell over on me.
        2003 gsx600f (the yellow one)
        vortex sprockets,D&D slip on,c/f led lights
        JIM's cowl, mesh, clearalt's ds signal, zero gravity ds screen

Comment

spedee has them on his kat. im not sure if i ever asked him or not whether he drilled.
          " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Spedee drilled his frame....they are a great idea but you may want to fabricate something to prevent the drilling of the frame...they will save you money on a light drop but anything at speed they will not be much use
            Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

A while back Special$K$ mentioned that he had several crashed Kats that had to be written off because the sliders bent the frame. Something to consider, in a slow or no speed drop they'd be great(get Katanapilot to post his crash/runover pic) but what if you went down at 40 or 50 and the bike slid for a while on one?

There was several posts about a company making a bracket, hopefully they'll be a update soon.
              Kyle

Comment

A while back Special$K$ mentioned that he had several crashed Kats that had to be written off because the sliders bent the frame.
                This is true, and this will happen if you're dumb enough to hang a 4" bolt out of your frame-rail. Luckily, Katana's come with frame sliders built-in. They're called the fairings, and they will protect your frame in a crash! Seriously though, replacing a fairing is small potatoes compared to trashing your frame. There's a reason slider manufacturers don't make a kit for the Katana, and that's it.
                '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Can't we get someone on here that has a machine shop? There are a ton of little metal projects that someone with skills and equipment I do not posses could make in no time...

Bar ends - cut bar of al to right length, drill hole, done

Fork brace - ()=() make it from aluminum, drill holes so outside pieces can be screwed into inside piece, )=( would be one solid piece

Grab bar - same mounts/size as stock, but extended vertically about 4 inches and tapped so you could mount a pad on it and make a passenger back rest - this could be made from flat stock, aluminum, whatever
                  I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

hmm. good to know. I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to make the sliders (with proper design of course) that would snap off if too much force was place on them. That way, at higher speeds that would warp the frame, they'' break off and let the road have at the farings. But what do I know? I'm a computer geek.

Comment

I used a set of Vortex sliders meant for a Honda F4i. I drilled a 3/4" hole in my frame when I had the engine out and had a local machine shop make me a 7/8" steel cylinder drilled and tapped to accept a bolt. I then welded the metal slug in the 3/4" hole and mounted up the sliders. Click on my ride profile to see the left side slider.

Comment

the frame being bent will cause the insurance co. to right it off but the part that you drill & mount the slider is the engine cradle - i see no way in hell that it's going to pull the steering head out of alignment with the swingarm bolt. in a really bad crash the whole motor cradle can get out of alignment ( which would put the countersprocket & rear sprocket out of alignment ).

just use a small enough ( diameter ) bolt & all will be fine. imo

i have a picture of the frame with all the plastic off @ home if i remember i'll post it.

tim

Comment

In a really bad crash, where the slider might damage the frame, isn't there a likelyhood the bike will be a total no matter what?
                          Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

Did it, love it, wished I did it sooner, would do it again.
                            Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

ya but beekman have you dropped your bike on it??

ALso slipkid said " Luckily, Katana's come with frame sliders built-in. They're called the fairings, and they will protect your frame in a crash! Seriously though, replacing a fairing is small potatoes compared to trashing your frame. There's a reason slider manufacturers don't make a kit for the Katana, and that's it."

Well if thats true what about all the other bikes with full fairings and mounts for sliders?? or is it the katana is just a POS and not worth adding alittle extra protection too, since we didnt spend as much to buy it as other bikes. Thats BS right there. but ohw well
                              " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Working...
                              X