Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Just bought a 2003 Kat 750...noobish question incoming.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a 2003 Kat 750...noobish question incoming.

Well, as the topic states, i just bought a very nice 2003 Katana 750 for a fantastic price.

This is my first street-bike, so im still getting used to things. Having learned on manual tranny cars, making the jump and understanding when to shift really isnt an issue for me - except for first gear. I swear, im having problems determining exactly when the best RPM range is to shift - assuming its open road. I find if the RPMs are low, i tend to 'thunk' more in to second gear.

What RPM range do you guys typically tend to stretch first out to? 4-6k? higher? Im just morbidly curious..... every other gear screams along nicely and shifts smoothly, but i just cant nail 1st to 2nd cleanly.

Any help would me VERY much appreciated!

-brad

The "thunk" you describe may be the normal first to second shift. It is a longer throw because it has to pass through neutral.

As far as shifting, 4 to 6k is fine for normal road riding. Particularly when you don't want to attract any attention (read Johnny Law). If you want to get on it, keep your revs 7k or higher for max torque.

Comment

Yes, the first to second gear takes some getting used to. I used to shift slowly thinking I am babying my transmission like I do my cars, until cyber poet pointed me in the right direction telling me that bikes beg to be shifted fast, precisely and hard. You have to master slamming it into each gear. I used to grind my gears sometimes too, and alot of times I end up in Neutral instead of 2nd, especially when shifting at higher RPMs. I adjusted my shift lever down lower so that I could really drive that puppy home when I am shifting. It made a big difference in my mis-shifts, which is a common reason for 2nd gear transmission failures. It does make a large cluck. Perfectly normal.
      Roops Photography|facebook|
      03 GSXR 1000
      04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
      Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Hmm, good question.. I usually shift by feel and sound.. Always have, even on my MX bike.. I guess I should pay attention to my tach, while shifting. Only time i'm looking at the tach is when in 6th and im around 10.5-12K never wanted to put her into the red, too much.. only once to see how fast she would go.. 05 - 600cc got her to 143'ish.. but speedo's are off, so maybe around 135 or so..

Comment

Seems rough if you don't get out of first by 7k to me .....Usually I'll shift at maybe 5 or 6 in first , wind out second a bit more (maybe 8 or so) . But that's if I'm just looking for a short burst . Getting up to highway speed it's pretty much 5k shift to 2nd , 5 or 6k shift to 3rd , wind out third and I'm up to speed . Then lazily shift up to 6 when I feel like it .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I found this in the Newbie Thread....

Shifting/Gears
            What is the correct procedure to Upshift in a lazy way? (RPM’s)
            All shifts should be made with a very fast, hard snapping action with the clutch pulled in.
            For best longevity, upshifts:
            Clutch in, throttle off, snap-shift, throttle up a little, clutch out.
            1st to 2nd - 5k RPM or below
            2nd to 3rd - 6k RPM or below
            anything above 3rd - wherever you want, just stick to the method above.
            "Don't taze me bro"

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.... I think ive just been babying 1st -> 2nd more than i should have. Ive been making the shift slower and more deliberate than any other shift, so perhaps thats part of my problem.

Ive been viewing it the same as my cars in the past. Ive always been kind to my car transmissions, and figured the bike needed to be shifted just as smoothly....

I will definitely make an effort to shift more decidedly and quickly, and see how that works.

Comment

Car and bike transmissions are radically different -- car transmissions reward slower shifts because of the planetary gears pre-spinning the gear splines up; bike gears get damaged by slow, soft shifting.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Congrats on the new purchase, and thanks for posting this question. Though not something I posted, it's info I needed to know. I may move my shifter down a notch or two this evening as well...
                  EisBlade
                  Raleigh/Wake Forest, NC

In school, majoring in "bikeless".

Comment

Originally posted by AzCyco
                    Hmm, good question.. I usually shift by feel and sound.. Always have....
                    +1

once you're used to the vehicle (whatever it is) a tach is almost pointless.

but then i've had trucks with manual tranny and no tach, and trucks with an auto tranny and a tach... very strange.
                    KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

I offer a shift indent spring kit that will improve your shifting; it replaces the stock spring with a specialty-engineered one that takes a bit more pressure to release the gear you're in, but slams the next gear home much more quickly and cleanly, resulting in no more missed shifts and eliminating the primary cause of shifting-related transmission damages (well, aside from those who shift back down through 2nd to neutral while still moving a high speeds).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        (well, aside from those who shift back down through 2nd to neutral while still moving a high speeds).
                        Seriously, do you know how hard it is not do that? I have to think about stopping at third when coming to a light.
                        Check out Motojour.com.

Red is the fastest color!

Comment

(well, aside from those who shift back down through 2nd to neutral while still moving a high speeds).
                          Originally posted by impalanar
                          Seriously, do you know how hard it is not do that? I have to think about stopping at third when coming to a light.
                          Shifting back into 2nd around a jogging speed and back into first at a walking speed is fine. Putting it back into 2nd at 50mph isn't fine (want an effective neutral at higher speeds -- just pull the clutch in a keep it there).

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Car and bike transmissions are radically different -- car transmissions reward slower shifts because of the planetary gears pre-spinning the gear splines up; bike gears get damaged by slow, soft shifting.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            So slow shifts will actually hurt the bike? Pardon me for my lack of knowledge. I just want to be sure i take care of my nice little investment that i have covetted for a decade .

If you kick that shifter up hard, is there any risk of by-passing the gear and hitting 3rd? Stupid question, perhaps....

Comment

Originally posted by Kat2k3

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              So slow shifts will actually hurt the bike? Pardon me for my lack of knowledge. I just want to be sure i take care of my nice little investment that i have covetted for a decade .

If you kick that shifter up hard, is there any risk of by-passing the gear and hitting 3rd? Stupid question, perhaps....
                              No, you can't skip a gear. If you do, you probably don't have a tranny left

Think "SNAP!" when you shift

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X