X

Picking up the new (used) Katana this weekend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking up the new (used) Katana this weekend

So, I’m picking up my new bike on Saturday. $2,100, needs a complete set of new tires and a couple of real minor repairs and I’m good to go. I’m expecting the entire endeavor will cost me $2,500 - $2,750 in total, since I’m going to ask the mechanic at the Suzuki place to give it a quick check for anything really out of place or dangerous. By mid-may, I’ll be out there on my first real bike after too much time in the saddle of a little GZ250 that lost its excitement months ago. I had a couple of questions:

- What are some decent tires? Should I go low-end or high-end? Somewhere in the middle? I don’t see myself hammering the bike around too many tight corners, but I’d like the capability to do so if the mood takes me.

- Is it stupid to ask the mechanic at the dealer to check the bike all over? Will he act like a car dealer and find lots of stuff broken that wasn’t actually broken? I’ve heard good things about this particular dealer, and I hope that his staff will take it easy on me during my first visit.

- What things should I ask the mechanic to do? I’m guessing change the oil, air filter (?), check the brake pads and all the fluids, check and lubricate the chain and the other lubricatable bits, check the spark plugs and check the carbs. Should I get him to check the valves (if that’s even something that needs doing)? The bike has nearly 20K miles on it, and I’d like to nip all safety-related issues and reliability issues in the bud while I can.

Thanks for you help, and looking forward to being a card-carrying Katana rider.

(BTW, did I get ripped off on the purchase? The bike's in decent cosmetic shape, but it certainly looks like a 9 year old bike.)

Re: Picking up the new (used) Katana this weekend

Originally posted by newriderva
    (BTW, did I get ripped off on the purchase? The bike's in decent cosmetic shape, but it certainly looks like a 9 year old bike.)
    A Question - What bike are you getting. I didn't see that in the post anywhere.

A Comment - If you are happy with the price and what you got for it, then you didn't get ripped off. Don't even ask for opinions on that.

(Before you make the purchase is the time for that type of question!)
    -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
    -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

It's a Katana 600. 1998, 20K miles. $2,100. Needs new tires.

I'm happy with the price, but like most purchases I make, I'm left with a nagging feeling that I've been taken for a ride. But for me, a Katana, new tires and the knowledge that it'll last at least this riding season for $2,500 is a bargain - that will work out to be about $10 per hour of excitement including gas and insurance.

I think the worry is from buying a used bike - who knows where it's been? I rode it up and down the street, shifted through the gears, tested the brakes. Engine was smooth (and had a great sound). It's a risk, I know, but from what I've read, the Kats are generally not thrashed around as much as the modern sportbikes and they are solidly built too.

Comment

HOWDY & WELCOME TO KR!! Congrats on the new bike!!!

I'm still a newbie, so you'll get much better answers from some of the pros around here. But just my $.02....

Tires, I'm still on the OEM's but I'm just a few bucks away from Metzeler Z6's or a set of Pirelli Stradas. As far as the GOOD tires, it's gonna be a personal tatse thing, and you'll get all kinds of opions on them in here. Just be sure check the TIRES section so you'll know what NOT to buy.

So you're getting the bike checked over after you pick it up, and you're gonna let a dealer do it? I don't see that being a bad idea, just could be a costly one. Would be great if you could get the bike checked BEFORE you buy, especially with all those miles on it. But I'm sensing it's already a done deal. Oh and yeah, count on the stealership fidning something they wanna fix on it.

If you can work a wrench, save yourself a few bucks and do as much of your own servicing as possible. I mean for $30 I just did an oil change in my back yard. Took all of 40 minutes, most of that time was spent trying to find a damn screw I dropped and my funnel. As easy as it was, I can't imagine paying them $30 plus parts to do it.

Good luck with the new bike. Hopefully the owner took good care of it so servicing should be minimal.
        This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
        BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

see cybers "guide to buying used bikes"

i'll call you a liar if you say it doesnt show up on search! LOL
          97 Katana 600
          [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

If it runs smooth and all it needs is tires, that is an excellent price around here.
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

It's a Katana 600. 1998, 20K miles. $2,100. Needs new tires.
              Metzeler Z6 in a 120/70ZR17 front, 150/70ZR17 rear. Or substitute Pirelli Diablo Stradas in the same size if your area is particularly dry. These tires are almost twins and come out of the same factory, with the only major difference being the tread pattern and spacing (the Z6 has 5 grooves for every four of the Strada).

I'm happy with the price, but like most purchases I make, I'm left with a nagging feeling that I've been taken for a ride. But for me, a Katana, new tires and the knowledge that it'll last at least this riding season for $2,500 is a bargain - that will work out to be about $10 per hour of excitement including gas and insurance.
              Used values can be looked up at www.NADA.com
              IMHO: Price is right if the bike is in reasonable shape and does not have a failed 2nd gear, nor leaking fork/shock seals, nor any serious mechanical damages.

I think the worry is from buying a used bike - who knows where it's been? I rode it up and down the street, shifted through the gears, tested the brakes. Engine was smooth (and had a great sound). It's a risk, I know, but from what I've read, the Kats are generally not thrashed around as much as the modern sportbikes and they are solidly built too.
              CyberPoet's Pre-Purchase Used Bike Inspection Checklist.
              USE IT.

As for making sure everything is 100%:
              Get the bike it's 15k service and a new set of tires. The 15k service will run around $320 and take care of the valves, oil, safety checks, and bunch of other standard maintenance items. Or if you are mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself; the tooling cost if you have zero tools will be under $320

Tires have already been discussed.

Ask the dealer if he will put a 1 month power-train warrantee on it, and that you will pay for such a warrantee, up to 10% of the purchase price, just for the peace of mind. Or an aftermarket 1 year warrantee that will cover the same, and expect to pay up to $400 for that.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the tips, people. For my own peace of mind, I'm going to give the dealer first crack at getting the bike shipshape - I'm lucky in that I can (kind of) afford a proper service right now, and I'd like to have it done by people who work exclusively on Suzukis and know them inside out. I know my own mechanical skills and knowledge are pathetic, and I have been known to cause more $$$ in damage to things than it would have cost to pay someone to do it right the first time.

It'll also give me the opportunity to spend a little while in the dealership and take a good look at some of the new bikes. Not something I have much time to do most days.

One last question - anyone know how long dealers usually take to service bikes for tires and 15K services?

Comment

Tires: half-hour to an hour.
                  15k Service is listed at 2.7 hours, but the engine must be at ambient air temp through-and-through to do it, so it's often a case of dropping the bike off one night and them working on it the next day.

EDIT/ADDED: Also remember that mechanics aren't standing around waiting for you to arrive, so just because you have 3-1/2 hours available doesn't mean they have 3-1/2 hours available at that instant to get cracking on your bike.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

price seems decent.

learn to do all the maintenance, adjustment and lubrication yourself... that's where the stealership can leave your wallet a smoking hole!

the Metzler Z6s aare a popular choice, and that's what i'll probably be running when my Kat gets back on the road... to Cybers info about the Pirellis for dry areas is interesting... doesn't get much dryer than around here!

on my first kat, i HATED the stock Dunlops, and they hated water. cheap tires are no bargian!
                    KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

I have about 300 miles on my Z6's and I LOVE them.
                      Check out Motojour.com.

Red is the fastest color!

Comment

Working...
                      X