My first accident

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first accident

Hi,

Yep... I had an off. And it was a highside. I was only going pretty slow though (about 50-60km/h through a hairpin).

Bike has a stuffed right fairing, scratches on the pipe, busted right front indicator, scratch on the front mudguard, bent rear brake lever and a loose front brake lever.

My jacket, helmet and gloves all need replacing. My draggin jeans are fine, as are my boots.

I have a small graze on my right forearm where my jacket wore through (textile jacket) right near the armour, a banged up left knee and a sore right shoulder from the impact.

It is interesting sliding up the road on your face. The detail in the rocks you can see from 1 inch away is amazing

Overall everything went pretty good. Couldn't have had a better crash while moving.

I just went a tried on a leather jacket (they are good at hiding your gut, but unzipping them can be quite depressing) and a new helmet. Hopefully I'll be back and riding next week. The only non-roadworthy thing at the moment is the busted indicator. We just spoke to the insurance company and the bike is all covered, but not my gear. Oh well.

Anyway, lessons for people to learn from my mistake:
    1) wear your gear - my gloves were worn through (leather and carbon fibre), jacket torn and face of helmet scratched. I'd hate to have been without them.
    2) don't target fixate, even for a second. I realised that I had andmade myself look around the corner. What I'd fixated on was leaves in the middle of the road. It was too late though, I hit the leaves, the back slid, then gripped, then I was up close and personal with the road.

Just to confuse you people who drive on the wrong side of the road, I was on a left hand hairpin (which means inside track here), that is why the right was stuffed in the highside. Just think opposites to that and you'll understand.
    fulcrum (aka David)
    Blue 2004 GSX750F
    Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
    If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Sorry for the crash and busted stuff, but glad to see your
    not the worst for ware. As they say about a crash. If you
    can walk away.
    'Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains" !

Comment

Re: My first accident

Glad you were able to walk away from it, like the saying goes Gear and bikes are replaceable you aren't.

Originally posted by fulcrum
      It is interesting sliding up the road on your face. The detail in the rocks you can see from 1 inch away is amazing
      It statements like this that really point out the problem with those shortie half helmets. Not something I'd want to be sliding face first down the road in, FF all the way.
      Kyle

Comment

Glad to hear you are ok. Man does gear save lives. Sounds like the bike won't be to major to fix, which is always a good thing. I have always wondered how one of the Full Face helmets would hold up on a face slide. I like them, but I am afraid they would pop open if to much pressure were to be applied on a face slide.

Could you maybe post a pic of your gloves. I am interested in seeing where they wore through to help me decided on what type I should by next.

Again, glad to hear that you faired well. Look at this as a excuse to get new better custom stuff for your bike!
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

OMG Fulcrum glad you are alright!!!

Sorry about your bike, you'll have her fixed up in no time. It helps when people share their falls, and others learn something from it. Thank you.

I bet your wife was freaking! Has she calmed down?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

That really sucks Fulcrum. I'm glad you're OK though. Your off sounds alot like the one I had last year. I went down at about that speed and gear saved me from more serious injuries. I got back on as soon as the bike was fixed. Happy to hear that you will do the same.

Ride safe.

Comment

Re: My first accident

Went highside and slid on your face and ....
              Originally posted by fulcrum
              Hopefully I'll be back and riding next week. The only non-roadworthy thing at the moment is the busted indicator.
              Man if that isn't a testimonial to why you wear gear I don't know what is!

Very very glad to hear you weren't hurt, just a little banged around. I also would like to see some pics of your gear when you feel up to it. The helmet especially would be good to post in the beginners forum.
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Thanks for the support everyone. Much appreciated.

I was in a group ride when it happened, but on my own. We'd stopped to regroup and most poeple thought everyone was there and took off up the mountain. I knew we were 1 short and waited along with the missing guys friend. After a minute he said to head on up and he'd wait. As such I was alone for the off.

I got up the top, parked and nobody new anything was wrong. I motioned to my wife that I'd crashed, but she didn't understand. When she came over I said "I binned it" and she said later she though I was kidding. The left side of my bike is perfect. Then she saw the right side. And yep... Katgirl was right... she freaked. Didn't take her long to calm down though.

The worst bit was riding home as I was starting to stiffen up in my injured joints. Quite painful. And I keep banging my knee into stuff.

As for jackets, the textile ones work, but only for 1 crash. I now have a leather one (picked it up about 15 minutes ago).

And don't get anything except a full face helmet. I landed on the chin and slid along with the chin and visor on the ground (which I why I got to examine the road in such detail). It doesn't look too bad, but I'm not wearing it again anyway. I doubt the chin could take another hit.

One reason I'm getting another Shoei is that this one worked. There are a lot of people here that talk about them all passing the same standards, but as I figure it, if a racer wears one then it is good enough for me. If not, there must be a reason.

Standards over here consist of whacking a weight into it just above ear level. No testing of the chin or other areas. Mine took impact in the chin. That is something to think about. Most of the high end helmets well exceed the standards. Which of the cheaper ones just scrape through? Nobody knows except the testers.

Anyway, enough lecturing. I'll take some piccies of the gear when I get home and post them up.
                fulcrum (aka David)
                Blue 2004 GSX750F
                Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
                If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Comment

oh man that really blows fulcrum...but it's good to see you in good spirits about it, and yes, thank goodness for gear..as it sounds like u'd have a helluva lot worse off.

Good information about the lid and how it held up !

Comment

Glad to hear you are OK, that totally sucks. Like most of us, I always wear my gear. May think a little harder on the leather though, all of my gear is textile.
                    2000 Kat 600
                    "Fast Blue"
                    Pic in Profile

Comment

Wow buddy....glad you're (mostly) ok!
                      Sounds like you squeeked through a lucky one....

Comment

I just realised that if my frame is bent I can annoy Range and the other Triumph crate owners.

If it is bent then insurance will write the bike off. I can then go and buy a Daytona 650 and be riding it before they have their 600's out of the crates.

And I now realise why Range bought a Triumph. Because www.triumph.com is a lingere site, not a bike site. He got all confused. Maybe he now owns a big crate full of red panties and not a new bike.
                        fulcrum (aka David)
                        Blue 2004 GSX750F

Comment

Awesome to hear you are OK and the gear definitely worked like it should!!! Keep us informed on the pics, Your crash makes me want to get rid of the textiles and get leather though.
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

sorry to hear fulcrum

glad to hear your going to be ok tho, thats all that really matters in the end.

your right textile jackets are only good for one acko, i found that out the hard way too LOL

i still use textile ones for comuting to work and back in traffic (rjays jetstream.. oh so cool haha) but like you i have bought a leather item as well, for when im playing silly buggers..

looks like we wont get to go for that ride up nebo anytime soon eh?
                            BUGGER!

good luck and hope you and your wheels have a quick recovery

cheers.joe.

NB. you know if your still keen to keep the kat, theres a place in brissie that re-aligns frames and wotnot if your frame is bent and you want it straightend.. pm me, i'll pass on the details to you.

Comment

just be glad that you were able to walk away. as for the bike and gear sorry to hear that
                              Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

Working...
                              X