X

Woes of owning a used bike...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woes of owning a used bike...

Well I'm riding along and all of a sudden the bike shuts off ...I know what the issue is...so I lean forward and wiggle the ignition wires the electricity returns, hit the start button, and I continue on my way....no problem ...Yeah right...so now I realize I have to rewire my entire ignition...why?? ...well evidently some moron decided to cut the wires out of the ignition...possible attempt to steal the bike..well they were unsuccessful..well I bought this bike about 3 to 4 years ago and she has had a few issues...started with the carbs, coil and now the ignition...I'm not really complaining because I figure shes an '89 and it temperamental just like the wife......only with the bike I know how to fix her problems and they are mostly logical...anyways for all those out there starting out riding and you decide to buy a used bike, which I do recommend because your likely to trash it learning, be prepared for "undocumented" problems...it can be a real pain but on the bright side you'll get to know your bike and what makes it tick...I like to tinker with my bike but sometimes just finding the time to work on her can be a bear...
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Ohhhhh kay..
    Feel better now?!

Comment

LOL.. When I first purchased my bike I didn't have gear 2, the bike had sat outside for a winter, teh ignition switch was screwed up, and it had some piss poor perm marker graphix.. Well after cleaning the crabs, and rebuildin gthe bike from a kan of tuna to a sleeper I have created a list of purchases. 10 and 15 bucks add up quick..I should be aroubt 5grand by now.. but I only paid 500 for th ebike
      Some people grow big and tall and some stay the same... My 600 grew 527cc's by high school and stayed the same size. He use to get bullied by a few people:

Jigzer and Shrad were brothers
      Charlie Brown Rodjers also known as CBR
      Kall Asaki from Japan

I'm not a racer but at a stop light Jigzer pulled up and so did Shrad. They reved their engines....
      The light changes to green light so we ride...
      Then they read my license plate and it says
      " KATchup "

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
        Ohhhhh kay..
        Feel better now?!

Yep....just gotta let it out sometimes...also a learning experience for anyone else buying a used bike...If you see electrical tape in that area...please ask why there is that tape there..
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084

Comment

Doesn't venting feel great!
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

I know the feeling... which is why I never tend to buy used bikes over five years old, and when I do buy used, I go over it with a fine-toothed comb and restore everything to factory quality (is this part debatable/worn/etc? screw it, I'll replace it with a new one). I never want to end up with a bike I can't get parts for on-demand -- that's the scariest thought to me.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by DDMGraphix
              10 and 15 bucks add up quick..
              Tell me about it. I paid $650 for a bike that was listed as "In good condition". I had no illusions (or delusions) about how much it would cost me, but every time I find something else that needs replaced my wallet groans... along with the wife

Comment

Well now it gets better...got a call from the wife and she locked herself out of the house..go to open the house for her and again my electrical goes out...but now it won't come back on ...I think this ignition has finally had it...oh well..towed the bike back home...luckly I have a friend that had the day off and a truck...now I have to figure out how to take the bottom plate off the ignition...looks like i need to drill it...oh boy what fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                  Well now it gets better...got a call from the wife and she locked herself out of the house..go to open the house for her and again my electrical goes out...but now it won't come back on ...I think this ignition has finally had it...oh well..towed the bike back home...luckly I have a friend that had the day off and a truck...now I have to figure out how to take the bottom plate off the ignition...looks like i need to drill it...oh boy what fun...
                  are you talking about the part that mounts to the top triple tree? if so don't drill it. What I did was took off the upper triple tree and used a small socket on it. I had to use a slightly smaller socket and tap it on with a hammer to make it work for me. I wouldn't recomend re-using the bolts, but they come off pretty easy that way.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Thanks for the advise...evidently someone already took it off at one point..well removed the entire ignition...drilled out the bottom plate...well drilled the screws out that the factory covers with solder then used a small screw driver to remove the two bottom screws...took the thing apart...re-soldered 4 new wires to the plate inside and re-assembled everything...made it a bit longer for flex purposes and attached the original clip...now I have to go to Hilco Fasteners and get 2 new bolts for the plate and 2 new ones for the tripple..hopefully with some luck and lot's of praying this thing will work and she'll be on the street by tomorrow night....

Comment

I bought my bike 4 or 5 years ago , and I'm STILL finding stuff that's missing or was "done wrong" .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                        I bought my bike 4 or 5 years ago , and I'm STILL finding stuff that's missing or was "done wrong" .
                        I hear ya md, That 110 watt light bulb that the yahoo put in my bike before me still has me paranoid about the wires going up in flames, or that darn'd fuse blowing. I guess it's better to check the light everytime before I ride.

I'm still trying to figure out why the previous owner used duct tape on the throttle cable...

ahh.. gotta loved used bikes.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

It is so funny..in a sick way...how people think they are "repairing" their vehicles and then when it blows up or they get hurt they blame the vehicle...now I have had my problems with my bike and believe me I never blame the bike...it usually has to do with the previous owner(s)...stuff like the duct taped stuff...I mean it doesn't even blend in with the color of the bike...I mean use either black duct tape or electrical tape...I have a mess of wires that I need to sort out under the passenger seat..It's going to take a while to get this thing "perfect"....

Comment

Raff, I feel ya.

First thing I suggest when buying a used bike that's been sitting for a while is replacing all the hoses and lines.

I bought my bike ('99) with 2900 miles on it. Couldn't believe the luck. Had no problems until about 5000 miles later. Started dieing and restarting while riding (die for about 4 seconds then kick right back in). Take it to Ed and he said it may look like a new bike with no miles but it's been sitting for a long time. Had to order new fuel lines and replaced the rest of the hoses.
                            sigpic

Comment

The dumbshiat that owned my bike before me......was not allowed to ride the bike because of his parents.....so he trys to hot wire the thing...after that he bores out the gas cap key with a screw driver.......so my bike now has a brand new ignition......but i have to carry a screw driver with me to open my gas cap....and + since i got new keys my seat latch wont work...so i have to reach beneath it and pull cords to get it off......if anyone knows where i can get a gas cap + kaey for less than the OEM price of $97 let me know

Comment

Working...
                              X