X

CyberPoet, I've found the magic performanace enhancer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CyberPoet, I've found the magic performanace enhancer

Piggy backing on the post pertaining to the chic/woman who made the claim she could reprogram the Kat's ROM to enhance performance.

Well, my buddy just hipped me to a project they are working on with his SV650, he's into endurance racing. He's attempting to convert his bike fuel system to EFI.

His exact quote:
    We are working on a EFI for my SV650 endurance bike:

look up Megasquirt.

The goal is to make the same or better power with 10% better fuel mileage for under $500.

Endurance racing is a war of millimeters. :>)
    Round Rock, TX

Yep, I know a thing or two about the megasquirt. I followed along when it was in development a few years ago. For cheaper, you could make a GM ECM ( mid late 80's to mid 90's) run fuel injection on a bike if ya wanted.
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I ran a Megasquirt on the twin turbo mustang I built.

I'll give you guys any help if need be.

I also setup a Megasqurt 2 on a supercharged mustang.

Comment

The cost of the megasquirt may be low, but by the time you add in (for a currently carb'd bike) the injectors, the modified velocity stacks, the tuning, you're way over $500. For an SV, it would probably be simpler and cheaper to simply find a totalled 04 or later model (which already came injected from the factory) and swap controllers/injectors/etc.

We do (did?) have an Aussie here on the board who is (was?) using the megasquirt to control the fueling through a single passage that fed all four cylinders because he found it was much more controllable after his turbo-install that trying to tune the carbs to match -- but the whole project was a couple grand between the custom made headers, the injectors, the megasquirt, etc.

As for getting more power out of the Kat -- switching to fuel injection would net you the ability to get better fuel mileage easily while also letting you max your torque in certain ranges. BUT, at least for the 98+ Kats, it very unlikely to net you any power gains over a well-tuned jetkit (like Ivan's) that already is hitting that maximum-torque fueling of 13.2:1 almost perfectly, unless you do something to alter the compression ratios (such as a turbo or over-boring).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

We are using the Megasquirt for my tC, however Cyberpoet is right, converting it would be money. They're actually coming out with the MicroSquirt for FI bikes, jetski's, ect.. however I haven't heard about them making any progress in the development recently.

Comment

Working...
          X