X

Bike theft info from a thief.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
    It's like Thriller....... this thread is back from the dead!

It's true, you won't stop a professional thief. Not with any normal means, anyway. I used to tell people that when they were getting alarms in their cars..... if they wanted to make sure that NOBODY could EVER steal their car, I told them it wasn't going to happen. If a pro decides your car is worth that much, they will have it.
    However, most people's cars/bikes are NOT worth it. Here's a joke.....

Two guys walking through the jungle. A lion starts approaching them from a distance. He's crouching, obviously about to run at them. One guy stops, takes off his boots, and puts on some Nike's. The other guy says "do you really think that's going to help you outrun the lion?!" and he responds "I only have to outrun you!"

Not a funny joke, but it illustrates a point. You only need to make your vehicle less attractive to a thief than somebody else's bike. If I wanted a Busa right now, there are probably 10 of them within 5 miles of me. 4-6 of them are likely outside. And 3-5 of them will be completely unlocked and unguarded. So what would you choose to steal? The one with the LED flashing, the chain/lock on it, and the "F**k 911, I dial .357" sign in the yard...... or the one sitting unlocked in an apartment parking lot?
    thats is funny and your point is true A thief wants it nice and simple he does not want to spent a lot of time trying to get your bike the more time the better the chance of getting caught so he looking for a easy mark the difference between car and bike thieves is a car thief can work alone a bike thief has to work with others because most theft of bikes are pick up and carry away so three or four guys is going to attract more attention than one car thief working alone so if you made your bike a challenge its a chance that the thieves will keep it moving
    sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

hmmm i better start taking the key outa mine @ nite
      BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

chain and padlock to an immovable object (lamp post/ground anchor) and another padlock round your drive chain ...

it's not going to stop the determined ones, but your casual thief will move on to easier pickings ...

remote immobiliser/alarm is another benefit but never rely on just the one method, combine them
        it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

While at home, my bike is about as safe from theft as it can get. It has a scorpion alarm, and is inside a garage that is connected to a monitored alarm system. the scorpion sends an alarm message to the key chain and the home alarm sounds the general alarm that goes to the alarm monitoring place as well as letting anyone in the general area know what's going on via an overly-loud alarm sound. -But their biggest worry wouldn't be the cops. I'm well-armed, well-trained, a light sleeper and I was born and raised in Texas.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
            But their biggest worry wouldn't be the cops. I'm well-armed, well-trained, a light sleeper and I was born and raised in Texas.
            and you keep the gimp chained up in your basement.

Last edited by chinto; 07-16-2008, 10:17 AM.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

My bike was stolen off of the porch of my downstairs apartment. I got it back less than 24 hours later with all of the fasteners loose. Almost couldn't ride it home! Ignition lock busted, gas door busted, wires cut, ect. I moved across town and chained it to a tree every night. Left the chain there when I went to work, locked. Came home one day and it was gone! Neighbor said, "Hide the bike! I saw two guys cut the chain today." So I SOLD it. 3 years later get a call from the Sheriff's Office. They said they "recovered my stolen bike. come and pick it up." It wasn't mine, but the guy never registered it! So it was still in my name and yep, it had been stolen again!

My bikes are in a locked garage after all of this crap!

Comment

I keep mine in the garage that my two not very nice 125lb German Shepherds also call home.

I did have someone take the old KZ750 roller that had been sitting outside for about 5yrs running.

Comment

My insurance guy told me, it wasn't worth it to even buy a lock, if they are going to steal it they are just going to back up a truck/van and throw it in there. He said the best thing to do is keep it out of sight, cover it and if you want to slow them down lock it to something.
                  1990 Kat 600

Comment

Friend of mine told me about a You Tube video he had seen, of how to steal a sport bike -with- locked handlebars. Aluminum baseball bat through each wheel, pick up, and walk off. Said most bikes can be carried by two men.

I had a '95 Kat 750 stolen from me last year on Labor Day weekend. Degenerate scum took it right off my front porch. I no longer park there. I park in a much less visible area, have three Kryptonite cables securing it to my balcony support column, covered even on nice nights and have been thinking of cammie netting it for added concealment.

Lowlife a$$hats cant just buy anything...they have to steal.
                    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                    Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                      While at home, my bike is about as safe from theft as it can get. It has a scorpion alarm, and is inside a garage that is connected to a monitored alarm system. the scorpion sends an alarm message to the key chain and the home alarm sounds the general alarm that goes to the alarm monitoring place as well as letting anyone in the general area know what's going on via an overly-loud alarm sound. -But their biggest worry wouldn't be the cops. I'm well-armed, well-trained, a light sleeper and I was born and raised in Texas.
                      I like your style bro
                      2007 Honda CBR600rr
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by katana_j View Post
                        I saw that show last week,Seeing it realy made me appreciate how lucky i am to have a shed and a 100 pound german shepard that loves to bark.
                        I have a beagle mix. In the dark he sounds really big though.
                        All he has to do is wake me up though. Then mr. 45 barks.

Comment

Radio shack has a cool gps tracking system for 99.00.
                          It let's u locate it over the Internet. Assuming it's not found.
                          98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home

http://www.ghall1.com/videos/motorcy...C%20VIDEOS.htm

Comment

While I had two kats stolen from my parking lot (7 Dec 07, Malloc's & mine) and only one (Malloc's) has been recovered, I have learned quite a bit since then...

Item #1: MasterLock Cuff-locks (model 8290DPS) have a $3500 anti-theft guarantee on anything locked down by them. Certain timely restrictions apply (have to register within a short window after purchase of the lock; have to submit the theft report within a short time-window after theft). I'm in the process of becoming a MasterLock dealer specifically to carry this line of products -- well, that and I want two of them keyed the same.

Item #2: Motorcycle LoJack doesn't have good coverage in most states, although Florida was reasonably well covered. When I called the local PD about it though, they said they didn't have the tracking equipment for the bikes yet (apparently some how different than the car trackers). Fat lot of good that does.

Item #3: One of the alternatives to LoJack is Phantom. I was looking at their system with high-hopes, and called my local "authorized dealer" (the same guy who cuts me wholesale deals on the Kat supplies I sell) -- he told me that they could never get through to the company, that they had many disappointed customers and as a result, they stopped selling & doing installs of the system. Another firm of the same sort, called CycleTrack GPS, has closed their doors all-together.

Item #4: I'm still looking at some of the other GPS+cellular-based services. The best deal I've found so far is the GPS-Thief-Track with a three year contract -- $335 including install and 36 months of coverage ($9.30/month), with 1/4 mile geofence and 50 "locates" per year. Haven't talked to them about the physical size & requirements for the unit yet, though.... http://www.gpsonsale.com/vehicletrac...hief-Track.htm

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
                              Instead of killing them, a simple function of Steel pipe + kneecap may be just as satisfying. I, unfortuantely life in an apartment complex and don't have anywhere to keep my bike. Luckily, I live in a small town, So I am not quite as worried. But I do have to get a disc lock sometime soon.
                              Only one problem with your theory.

Dead people don't sue you. Living ones do.

Comment

Sucks that I live in a college town apartment complex.

Ive already had someone hit the kat and knock it five feet. Only to leave it and not say anything to me. (the back tire was hit and knocked her over. they stood her back up, I could tell by the scratches all over the parking spot.) Lucky me....thats when I found out I have a $1k deductible......for my $800 bike lol

Comment

Working...
                                X