X

Blue Guages

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Guages

I was bored today so I pulled all of my guages out and replaced the regular bulbs with blue LED's. It didnt turn out as well as I had hoped but the LED's do look a lot better than the yellowish color the bulbs had. I am dissapointed that they turned out a little duller than i hoped because the LED's are 5mm 6000mcd (pretty dang bright). I also changed the neutral light out with a blue one. My picture is kinda shotty, sorry.
    I was also thinking of trying to stick two LED's in each spot instead of one.

PS I may just buy the white and blue guages online and save myself the trouble, What do you think of the guages?
    Attached Files
    Bikes don't kill people, People kill bikes.

Good idea but I dont think i would drive at night like that.
    I would go ahead and buy the guages online too.

Comment

Yeah, just doesn't look bright enough. Maybe amber or red????
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

I done something like that to mine, I replaced the stock bulbs with some colored ones(not leds), I ended up putting the white ones back in because I couldn't really see the gauges/needles very well while sitting on the Kat in the garage with all the lights off except the ones from the Kat.

I would like to find some new gauge faces for my Kat, would like some white ones but have them show green or blue or red at night.
        I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

I'd say they for sure need to be brighter, but the blue does look pretty cool.

Comment

I like your blue one's too, but agree that brighter would be better. I think the reverse-glow gauges are neat and all, but I haven't taken to the white faces (just don't think I would like them on my bike). I'd rather find a way to do it like yours, to keep the black face and still get the blue at night.

Comment

Nice idea. I like the look but they are right they need to be brighter. Is there a way to use a white and blue LED? My salt tank hsas 2 blue lights and 1 white light. It is very bright and definitely has a blueish tint.

Comment

I did that with red led and I had the same problem as you, but I added 2 more led (bigger one with alternative power) and that turn out pretty good. I will post a pic when my bike is back together.(mod time)

Comment

im going to get me these soon.

" The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
                    good choice, thats what most of us have gone with..and they look sweet !!

Comment

If they are LED's that light up the face plates :-m ...I have some UV ones that I bought off of ebay a while ago...wonder if you put UV refective paint on the numbers how would it look ...maybe a little project I can work on....
                      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                        If they are LED's that light up the face plates :-m ...I have some UV ones that I bought off of ebay a while ago...wonder if you put UV refective paint on the numbers how would it look ...maybe a little project I can work on....
                        Thats interesting, let us know how that works out if you do it. On the back of my guages there are only four places for bulbs to plug into. I actually soldered my leds into the bulb socket so they would be removable. My other idea was just to solder two or three LED's to the actual place that the bulb socket plugs into. There are some pretty long strips of metal there. So it would be about three times brighter.
                        I was curious about power consumption but LED's use next to nothing. If it wokrs out ill keep it, otherwise it has to go, its just not bright enough.

EDIT: One extra thought here. I have some small 3mm LEDs. I could just take the board off of the back of the guages and solder a bunch of em on....that would be bright enough. Ill have to trace some stuff down with the multimeter though. This will work!
                        Bikes don't kill people, People kill bikes.

Comment

I put blues in and then lined the interior of the gauges with aluminum tape to reflect the light instead of absorb. It worked and I'm happy with the results...the light is scattered better. I especially made sure the areas around the LEDs were coated in refection, including screw posts.
                          Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

So am I doing 50 mph or 150
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I assume you used a digital camera. if so I knwo they are brighter than the pic shows. my leds on my bike underneath do not show up on a digital camera.
                              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Working...
                              X