Question about risers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about risers

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone with a 98+ Kat has aftermarket risers on. What kind did you buy, and where did you get them?

Are risers made for the Kat specifically, or did you have to use a "universal" type riser or a riser made for another model?

The reason I ask is that I am taking delivery on an '05 750 soon, and I am curious about risers to make the riding position even more upright.

Thanks!
    Macka
    "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

There may be a specific kit from Heli Bars or possibly Gen Mar. I know I have seen people use small spacers, I believe that had about 1.5" spacers machined from aluminum, requiring only longer bolts to accomodate.

One thing to note, it is important to make sure you have long enough clutch, throttle and brake cables when you change this sort of thing.

I have been slowly looking into the possibility of changing to a 'normal' handlebar instead of clip ons. This would allow you to change bars or have a bar made to customize riding position.

I think a real handlebar that was about 2" wider, an inch taller and slightly more rearward would put you more upright and increase the leverage you have on the bars. Add in a bar snake or fill the bar with lead shot and it should be ideal. It would also allow the use of clampsfor accessories.
    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

The only place that i have seen a confirmed handlebar riser kit for a Kat was Convertibar. You may be able to contact a place like GenMar or HeliBar to see if they have something for the Kat, but mothing shows up on their web sites.

Comment

I have Gen mars for the Kawi...great purchase
        Best extra inch I ever bought. Ooops thats sounds funny...but you know what I mean
        Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

Thanks all! I emailed Genmar and they don't make them for the Kat...they were nice enough to point me to Helibars. But, I am not looking for totally new handlebars, just figured a riser would be easy to install and give just a little bit more "up".

Not a big deal as I don't even have the bike yet, but wanted to see if something was readily available just in case.

Macka

PS Yack! I am only a "skid mark" on this board, LOL
          "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

I thought the stock 750 was pretty comfy though? no?
            Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

The stock is pretty good as is. Most peeps change over to Clipons. Those links should do you good. Congrats on the 05 Kat!!!
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

You will not really need a more upright position on the Kat. If you change the ride position you will find that the handling will be affected....try the stock for a couple of hundred clicks before you try to change anything.....you will probably find that you are comfortable the way it is
                Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Batgirl
                  I agree..I think it's quite comfy..but I guess depending on ur likes and dislikes in style..combined w/ different height and weights of others can necessitate the change I suppose. But my 750 kat is beastly comfortable.

Comment

here's another one

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                      Originally posted by Batgirl
                      I agree..I think it's quite comfy..but I guess depending on ur likes and dislikes in style..combined w/ different height and weights of others can necessitate the change I suppose. But my 750 kat is beastly comfortable.
                      Yup. I totally agree--especially in comparison to most other sportbikes.

It's a sport-tourer for sure, but I've gone many hours/miles without pain on the stock setup.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

We had a rider on here try the Converti-bars and he came back saying that the range was far more limited than their press material would indicate because of hitting the windshield, etc., when they were deployed in the upper half of the adjustment range.

Just a warning.

My take on it: try the stock set-up. Odds are you'll like it. If not, relocate your bottom (i.e. - Corbin saddle) first and then retest rather than moving the controls.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

what do you wanna know about me ?

sorry my last name is riser
                          " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

My take on it: try the stock set-up. Odds are you'll like it. If not, relocate your bottom (i.e. - Corbin saddle) first and then retest rather than moving the controls.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Thanks everyone...actually what CP wrote above is exactly what I intend to do.

Comment

Working...
                            X