No announcement yet.
X

Start and go? or warm up ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start it full choke, RPMS spike and drop to around 2000, reduce choke as it climbs until it is at chokeless idle (Probably around a minute or so) Gotta let it warm up, else it just feels sluggish. Once warm, smooth as silk.

Comment

Re: Start and go? or warm up ?

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
      So some of us may have found out the hard way about letting bikes, especially Kats; sit and warm up at an idle for too long, as this can foul out your plugs...
      Actually, sitting at idle with a properly carb-tuned set-up won't foul plugs; it's excessive choke use that causes them to foul by making the mix artificially rich.

As for me:
      Choke on as little as required (far less required since I installed Ivan's JetKit) to get it to start, and then choke off within 30 seconds (usually within 10 seconds unless it's below 40 degrees), and let it idle for at least a minute or two, with throttle input if needed to keep it from stalling out. Easy on it for the first couple miles, until the temp climbs... speaking of which, bastids at JCWhitney still have my oil temp sender on back-order!

Originally posted by Mojoe
      How are the fuel injected bikes? Do they do that? Or do they run smoothly from the start? I am trying to compare against carburated cars....remember those?
      Most fuel injected bikes do OK, using some form of enrichment when cold, but there are a few new models on the market which don't pay any attention to their engine temp and thus always use the enricher for the first 30 - 60 seconds (one Triumph model and one Honda model come to mind).
      You have to think of injected bikes as coming in a couple classes; those with full sensor packages (most of the current crop) that include temp and exhaust sensors, and those which simply have injection as an alternative to carbuerators (most of the first crops of injected bikes for any make & model). Those with exhaust sensors will auto-tune themselves to correct for too rich/too lean, those with temp sensors the CPU can access will usually handle the enrichment (choke-replacement) feature fine.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'll usually start it up, have a cigarette and put on my helmet and gloves before taking off. I like to let the engine get to at least 100-130 degrees.
        I miss my Gixxer

Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Originally posted by 1BlueKat
          I let her warm up until the choke runs the idle up and I gradually reduce choke until it is at a regular idle, then away I go. I dont like to ride with her cutting out and sputtering, like when it is not warmed up.
          +1

www.vwvortex.com
          I have nothing to say, I have no opinion. That's what I learned from 9 1/2 years of marriage.
          Thanks to all who are serving in our GREAT ARMED FORCES from an old Navy Squid

Comment

Choke for about 15 seconds, put my gear on and go. Like Mojoe said, you need good oil flow. My Kat is sluggish if I don't let her warm up about 5 minutes.

Comment

Working...
            X