X

Almost bit it Saturday night...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost bit it Saturday night...

Was heading down into a turn lane for a local bridge, slowing down, when I suddenly found out the turn lane had an oil slick about 50 feet long and the width of the turn lane. Straightened it out and hauled it down, overshooting the turn and coming to a stop about 5 feet before the curbstone on the on-ramp to from the other direction. The riders behind me saw my back end fishtailing and came in at very, very slow speeds (walking speeds). I wasn't even phased (I would have been if I had gotten much closer to that curbstone or tried to make the corner)... practice, training and pre-envisioning of possible scenarios came in. so that I didn't have to think about the right course of actions, just had to carry them out.
    Unfortunately, a kid on a new Kawi had hit it about 90 seconds before I did (he was out of my view at the time) and went down hard -- crankcase broken, mirror & upper fairing broken away; he had only been doing 25 going in and went down about 15 mph. The good news is that he was fully geared and suffered no injuries. We stopped & checked on him, the bike, then I called fire-rescue to come spread some cat litter and the cops to mark out the lane; fire-rescue was there in about 90 seconds (wow!), but during the meantime, car after car was coming through the turn and losing the back end -- looked like one of the sliding videos you see on the net sometimes. Fire-rescue said it happens at that particular turn of the intersection all the time...

The worst part: several riders tried to tell me the best way to handle it would be to power-slide through on full-throttle. I don't like to argue with the mentally incompetent...

Be safe out there. Wear your gear. Think ahead. Practice your worst possible scenario solutions.

PS - I'm really glad I was in front of malloc by a 150 to 200 feet -- I suspect he would have bitten it otherwise.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Now you gotta clean the junk off the tires ! Yeah , I hate when that happens .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Oil just appears on the corner

Glad to hear that all were okay, even the Kawi rider.
      I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by md86
        I rode another 45 miles that night... tires are good. But thanks for thinking of me!

Originally posted by GSX1100FL
        I suspect they must have a leaking used-cooking-oil pumper/transporter that comes through there all the time, based on the fact that the fire-rescue guy said it happens at that particular part of that intersection all the time.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          Originally posted by md86
          I rode another 45 miles that night... tires are good. But thanks for thinking of me!

Originally posted by GSX1100FL
          I suspect they must have a leaking used-cooking-oil pumper/transporter that comes through there all the time, based on the fact that the fire-rescue guy said it happens at that particular part of that intersection all the time.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Sounds to me that when whomever is spilling this there is caught, there is going to be a nice lawsuit.
          I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Glad your Ok Cyber, that really sucks. We ride as safe as we can, but those little close calls remind us of how quickly a nice ride can go bad. Way to stay on your toes!
            2000 Kat 600
            "Fast Blue"
            Pic in Profile

Comment

Nice control and good thinking!!
              Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Glad to hear all came out alright.

I can't believe thought, that this "Happens all the time", and nothing has been done about it!
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Glad you are alright.
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
                  X