X

2up Riding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2up Riding

How much do u really enjoy it? Is it more of a chore, do you cringe when you're significant other or the occasional visiting relative says, "Let's go for a ride" ? or Do you really enjoy it? The challenge of riding w/ a partner, or just the quality time you get to spend with them?

I really enjoy it, my GF really enjoys it, I get enough alone time, so when I get her on the back, I always have fun.
    2000 Kat 600
    "Fast Blue"
    Pic in Profile

Comment

thus why i got a cowl"

Comment

I tried for the first time with a guy on the bike, and much prefer riding on my own. Luckly being a female, it happens quite often.
        Don't like riding passenger either, I want to ride!
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

If I owned a bike like most (pretty much all) of you, I would cringe at the idea. The bikes are just to small for my 6'1 frame to have a passenger. Even though your kats are considered sport tourers, you still are bent over more than I am on my 1100. With my stock seat, it sucks. But with the travelcade and backrest on, the passenger is able to sit up more and feel more confident...which means they are not stuck against me.
          I enjoy having a passenger on the back if they know how to ride...or at least learn fast. Some just don't get it and I always find an excuse to say no to those.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

sometimes i enjoy it. if my passenger is a good rider, its alright, but if she sucks at being a passenger, then i hate it. once i gave this one girl a ride and she was horrible. she tried to lean for me around turns. i was like "WTF are you doing?" I tell people what i want them to do, and if they follow that, then everythings ok, if not, they walk home.
            if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Originally posted by steve
              sometimes i enjoy it. if my passenger is a good rider, its alright, but if she sucks at being a passenger, then i hate it. once i gave this one girl a ride and she was horrible. she tried to lean for me around turns. i was like "WTF are you doing?" I tell people what i want them to do, and if they follow that, then everythings ok, if not, they walk home.
              I had a girl once who did the opposite. She was afraid we would fall over when the lean came, so she leaned the oother way. I was in a pretty good lean in a long curve when she did it. Because she was a good size girl, it took alot of control away from me and wanted to straighten me up and send me into the oncoming lane. It freaked the crap outta me. But she learned eventually. Some just take a little time to overcome the fear.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

is it sexist to say that it doesnt look right with a MALE riding on the back of a bike with a female driver?? I love riding my my woman on the back and within a few months she will be getting her own, but i dont think i'd like being on the back with her driving at least because she is 5' 2'' and can barely touch the ground as it is

As far as riding alone i prefer it only cause with a passenger my um ,, "BOYS" take their toll against the gas tank. And with our seats providing way more comfort as opposed to gixxers that have none, its better than nothing
                " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
                  is it sexist to say that it doesnt look right with a MALE riding on the back of a bike with a female driver?? I love riding my my woman on the back and within a few months she will be getting her own, but i dont think i'd like being on the back with her driving at least because she is 5' 2'' and can barely touch the ground as it is

As far as riding alone i prefer it only cause with a passenger my um ,, "BOYS" take their toll against the gas tank. And with our seats providing way more comfort as opposed to gixxers that have none, its better than nothing

I think most guys think the same as you, I wouldn't consider it sexist at all. Nick wouldn't be caught riding biatch on my bike ever

The guy I did have on my bike was a fellow rider, and we just went around the neighbourhood for me to get a "feel" for it.
                  Nick and I weren't together then

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
                    That depends on the passenger. I have no problem riding 2-up with the wife on the back. I could ask for a better passenger. She keeps her hands on the tank and her butt slightly scooted back so I hardly know she's there. She does have to tighten down in the hard turns, but it isn't bad. Most of the time I have none of her weight on me. She tells me that she hooks her feet under the rear fairing which helps too.

You can see in this pic how she's back from me slightly and has her hands on the tank...

Here is a really good writeup that Kim did over on GCR about the subject...

Ladies, this was something I originally posted on KP, that Meg asked I move here. While I do realize that this site is based on riding your own bike, there are alot of women out there that love bikes but only ride pillion, and will look for womens' sites to answer their questions.

*This was originally posted in reply to budhakat750, it wasn't written as a stand alone post, so some parts may sound a bit odd*

If you don't have some type of communication system like a chatterbox, you definitely need to have some type of signals worked out. At the very least, you need an "Oh CHIT, pull the bike over NOW" signal.

As for scaring her....you're going to have to talk to her. That's the long and short of it. She may NEVER be ok with fast speed or railing.....she MAY grow to love it with time. Either way, you need to know exactly what her comfort level is before you ever take off on a ride. If she says no speed, listen to her....NO speed. It gives her some control back, instead of her feeling like she's helpless and at your mercy. Greg and I talk before EVERY ride....I will flat out tell him "NO highways today, I don't feel good", or "Hey, keep the speed down today, I'm tired and my nerves are shot". If he forgets, after we take off, he immediately gets reminded by a slow pinch in his side that grows HARDER gradually, until he finally remembers. It's very important that you talk before each ride and get her take on things. Then listen, and do as she has requested. If she says "no speed today", you either keep the speed down, or go out for a jaunt by yourself....don't get her on the bike, then do as you please....you won't get her on the bike again.

The key is to make her feel comfortable, and let her know that she does have some control also. Some little things that have made a difference to Greg and I....

1. Talking before each ride about what the pace will be.

2. Signals. Different taps etc....like when I climb on the back of the bike, Greg does NOT take off until I have gotten situated, feel comfortable, and signal him to do so! When I am set up, I simply slap him twice on the side, he then knows it is safe to take off. Things like this keep the suprises to a minimum for the passenger. If Greg is getting ready to hit the gas unexpectedly, he slaps me on the leg quickly, at which point I immediately tighten my grip on the bike, lean forward, and redistribute my weight to make sure I'm not going to come off the bike. The biggest key is NO SUPRISES! She can't see very well where she is sitting....you have to make sure she doesn't get taken by suprise. The flipside being that she is also going to have to learn to watch and read the bike, because there are some things that you simply won't have time to warn her about....but those times should be the exception to the rule (like swerving to miss a car that has suddenly pulled out).

3. A small thing that made a huge difference to Greg and I....a gel seat! Before Greg put the gel seat on the bike, I was forever sliding around! Not a good feeling to have almost no grip on the bike, when you can't see what is going on in the first place! It really did make a HUGE difference for me...I stick to the bike much better, which really increases my confidence, allowing me to enjoy the ride....instead of worrying about getting thrown off the bike.

4. Make sure she feels safe and comfortable in her gear. While she needs to trust you, she also needs to know that if something goes wrong (that you can't control) she has the best gear on possible. Talk to her about her gear. Ask her if she feels safe with what she's wearing. If she doesn't feel safe, spend the money to get her the gear that will ease her mind. It's expensive, but it will make a difference in her confidence, and allows her to have some control when it comes to her safety. Greg did not pick out my gear....not ANY of it. I researched it all myself, and chose what would make me feel the safest. I have confidence that if we do go down, I have taken all the precaution I can. I choose which gear I will wear based on what type of ride we will be doing....which goes right back to talking to her before each ride.

5. Let her be involved in "her" bike. Greg bought his bike before we were married. By all rights, it is "his" bike. Over the past couple of years it has become "our" bike. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time and money on that Katana. I have spent HOURS researching and buying parts for it myself. I have a ridiculous amount of time and money tied up in that bike. I have a vested interest in that bike, so to speak. If it's also "her" bike, it will make a big difference.

6. She is going to have days that she feels "off", just like you do. It's always her choice whether or not she wants to get on the bike. Accept her decision without arguing. There are days that I do not ride with Greg for various reasons. I tell him to go out without me when I do not want to ride. I don't feel bad about it, he doesn't feel bad about it.

I hope this helps you out a little. Just trying to share what Greg and I have experienced. I'm not "just the pillion".....I will not climb graciously onto the back, cross my fingers, pray to God, and kiss my a$$ goodbye. I have input on that bike, I KNOW it is safe....after all, I've been there through every part addition, oil change, and modification. I KNOW that I have good gear on. I have confidence in my husband's ability, and I have a voice. I'm a very active pillion....because it's my ride, my life, and my enjoyment.
                    ___
                    2nd post on subject:

Something else I just thought of for your wife to try, that has helped me....

Greg always wanted me to hang onto his waist. It made me feel very uncomfortable holding onto him instead of the bike. On stops I always slid forward hard, on turns I didn't feel stable. I also couldn't feel the bike very well, and my weight felt like it was up too high. I now brace my ankles against/under the fairing for stability, and I put my arms around Greg....but I put both hands on the tank right in front of Greg and use the tank to brace myself and hold on. I can feel what the bike is doing better, my weight is lower, I stick to the bike better, and I don't slam into Greg on the stops. It is hard on my wrists for long periods, as my wrists are supporting most of my weight.....but it also braces me better and I feel so much more stable. Then when we slow down to a reasonable speed, I will hold onto the grab bar on the back and sit up for a bit, giving my wrists a break. If Greg decides he needs to speed up for whatever reason, and I'm leaned back holding onto the grab bar, he taps me quickly a couple of times on my leg, and I immediately fall forward and brace against the tank, in anticipation of him hitting the gas. I've really found that hanging onto the bike like this keeps me firmly planted...no sliding around at all.

Also when you're riding and there are lots of bumps (bumps throw the passenger around like a rag doll) if she can learn to anticipate the bumps, it'll make life alot better. If you're riding in a group, she can watch the person ahead. For bumps, she needs to brace with her ankles, and bring her butt up off the seat a little, holding on to the tank. It keeps her from getting dislodged.

With more time, your wife will get her own method down to a science! She will know what to expect from the bike, what to expect from you, and what she needs to do in each situation. Give her time to learn how to ride her own ride in the back, give her time to learn the bike.....what to listen for, and how it moves. Keep the speed down until she has learned what makes her comfortable, what makes her feel safe. Once she has confidence in the bike's movements, and confidence in how to react, then maybe you can pick up the speed. Until then, nice easy enjoyable jaunts. The best way I can put it, is just like you had to learn how to ride the bike, and had to learn how the bike would react....it's the same for her. Can't just throw her on the back and it be all good. For me it was definitely time, and learning what I needed to do back there to make myself feel safe.

***I wrote the above based on my experiences, being on the back of a Katana750 w/a gel seat. It took a couple of years for Greg and I to get to the point we are at riding together. Hopefully what I learned will help out somebody new.

Comment

I cringe at anyone other than my wife riding with me and usually try to gently tell them no. Kelly and I have good communication and she knows me so she knows what to expect me to do. Anyone else just screws me up bad.
                      Last year we railed the snot out of the Dragon 2 up and outside of the occaisional smack in the helmet for doing something stupid (like scraping bodywork trying to keep up with K on the Kabana) I barely even knew she was on there.

Comment

I prefer not to ride 2 up. Just my personal preference.

Comment

I love to ride 2 up, but I have the ebst time riding 2 up with Nurse Becky. She really is a natural at riding passanger. She knows how to work with me, and I can even hit the twisties a bit with her. I also like the feel of having someone on the back. For some reason, to me the bike just seems more stable with someone on the back.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

I have removed the rear passenger pegs from my Kat, therefore no passengers, just the way I like it, I use to give rides but got tired of having such a direct responsibilty for having another person's life in my hands.
                            I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Oh yeah, Nurse Becky looks good on the back too!
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X