Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Do you wish that more people had sportbikes or less people?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you wish that more people had sportbikes or less people?

Here's an interesting question. Would you prefer that more people had sportbikes then there are currently or would you prefer that there were less? Perhaps you wish there were more because you could have more riding buddies and people to talk bikes with. Maybe you would prefer that there were less because sportbikes would be more rare, would draw less attention from the police and media, or insurance and bike prices would be cheaper?

Less, because there is a certain percentage that just have to be squids and less sportbikers mean less squids.
    Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

More, less cagers there are the better.
      2000 Kat 600
      "Fast Blue"
      Pic in Profile

Comment

How about more educated riders? *grin*

Comment

i go to a college for the automotive field. and all the kids there that want bikes think just because they rode dirtbikes and maybe raced them when they were 12 they think they can go out and get a cbr 1000rr or R1 orsomthing like that, that is whats wrong with people, they think just because they rode an 80 or something like that they are gods gift to the 2 wheeled machine, and they all want the r1's and junk so they can do wheelies and stuff, i hate people like that nad it pisses me off cuz i get in to these huge debates about it in the middle of class and i end up flipping out at them, and most of the people know im right, they all say i want a 1000 im like you jack@$$ if you get a cbr 600rr youll have basicly the same speed. the new rr's run 10.38 in the quarter, so i dont see anything wrong with that maybe its just me but damn some kids are stupid as $h!T

Comment

crackshot makes a good point..more educated riders, would definately be a good thing, but like they say, u can lead a horse to water, but u cant make them drink. We have tools available for todays rider to learn, ride responsibly, and ride more intelligently, but too many just do not take advantage of the resources.

Comment

Originally posted by duff
              i go to a college for the automotive field. and all the kids there that want bikes think just because they rode dirtbikes and maybe raced them when they were 12 they think they can go out and get a cbr 1000rr or R1 orsomthing like that, that is whats wrong with people, they think just because they rode an 80 or something like that they are gods gift to the 2 wheeled machine, and they all want the r1's and junk so they can do wheelies and stuff, i hate people like that nad it pisses me off cuz i get in to these huge debates about it in the middle of class and i end up flipping out at them, and most of the people know im right, they all say i want a 1000 im like you jack@$$ if you get a cbr 600rr youll have basicly the same speed. the new rr's run 10.38 in the quarter, so i dont see anything wrong with that maybe its just me but damn some kids are stupid as $h!T
              Well....nothing personal duff, but I don't agree 100% with you. You yourself are still a young pup, and I have no idea what riding you did before getting your bike. I have to say, I know quite a few kids of my buddies who ride dirtbikes, and some of them are amazing. When they see me on my bike, I can see the eagerness in thier eyes to move up to the big bikes. These kids are from 7 to 15 yrs old. The 7 year old...he has no fear. So in the long run, they are way ahead of anyone who never rode anything at all...like you maybe? Just because they are a bit "cowboy" on the dirt bikes doesn't mean they will be on the street bikes. For the most part, these are smart kids that I know. It kind of sounds that just because these kids would like to do a wheelie....just because they did it on dirt bikes....that you hold that against them. You can do wheelies and still be responsible. I know one kid in particular who has been riding since a little boy....dirt bike. He is 18 or 19 now and has a gixxer750. I watched him do a wheelie the whole 1/4 mile last summer at San-Air. Because he did all those wheelies on dirtbikes, he in familiar with man and machine becoming one and actually "driving" the bike, and not just riding it like 99% of riders do. There is a distinct difference between being a rider and a driver. Yet on the road he respects the machine and is a responsible rider. So in my opinion, you are generalizing too much.
              Being a 40 yr old I could easily sit here and flip out on you for being a young pup yourself who thinks he has enough experience to be able to flip out and call these younger and eager future riders stupid....but that is not what I wish to do. I do want to say, however, that I really don't think you have the right to flip out on these kids. You can't tell me that when you were younger and dreaming of a streetbike, that doing a wheelie was not part of it. We all visioned this at one time or another. But then you get the bike and realize it is not just something you easily jump on and do. It has real power and weight to it....so it just naturally demands respect. Let them dream...let them learn. Cuz with your flipping out at them, chances are all you accomplish is them sitting around and laughing at you behind your back and calling you a know-it-all ass. That is what overconfident 15-16 yr olds do....it is part of being a teenager. Part of that being that you are not mature (I mean old...as in maybe just being a couple or few years older than them) enough yourself to flip out at them. What would you have thought at 16 if a 20yr old flipped on you like that?

I just think you are generalizing too much. Cut them some slack. Let them dream and fantisize. It is part of being young. The smart ones will learn....the stupid will perish. Let the street sort them out. Until they actually own the bike, it is all talk for now. Give them the benefit of the doubt my young friend.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

as far as my answer to the question....it doesn't matter to me. At 40, I just ride to ride. I own a sport bike, but will own a cruiser soon as well. I will ride with customs, harley's or sportbikes.
                It is for the ride....not what you ride. So why should it matter?
                There are idiots on all types of bikes. Take away an idiot's sport bike and give him a custom....and he is still an idiot.

Comment

Duff has the luxury of hanging around experienced riders like us too ..so he's seen more ends of the spectrum than maybe SOME of his classmates have, so he feels he should lead them in the right direction. Just dont show them your video of you laying down on your corona duffy !

Comment

Originally posted by N4S740
                    Duff has the luxury of hanging around experienced riders like us too
                    Ya...but this is virtual. Who is to say that those kids are not hanging around riders in the real world?
                    I am just pointing out that "flipping out" like he said he did is not generally the best way to get a messege across to a teenager. Teenagers tend to rebel against such an approach.

Comment

More, I think the quids are a % of total riders so more or less riders wont change things. Doesnt have to be sport bikes any bike is better then most cars.

Comment

Less. Just get rid of the squids. Then the cops might not follow me like I'm some sorta criminal.

Comment

Less.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

More quality riders.... Less furred bikes!
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                              Originally posted by N4S740
                              Duff has the luxury of hanging around experienced riders like us too
                              Ya...but this is virtual. Who is to say that those kids are not hanging around riders in the real world?
                              I am just pointing out that "flipping out" like he said he did is not generally the best way to get a messege across to a teenager. Teenagers tend to rebel against such an approach.
                              Oh I agree..shooting your mouth off isnt the way to get thru to young riders..most of the time, they are just like we were back then. hard headed, stubborn, and they're gonna do it whether you tell them to or not.

I'll give him kudos though for atleast trying to help the responsible rider cause. Even if he may come off like he's had 1 too many corona's

Comment

Working...
                              X