• Show
Clear All

Good luck mojoe!
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Remember Mojoe if we are both in Austin (or St Paul for that matter) I need to buy you at least one beer!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        (A) Test drive the puppy before you buy it. Or at least test drive the same model elsewhere. You may find that you love it, or you may find that you hate it, but whatever decision you make, it should be a first-hand experience making the call. I've never met a BMW MC dealer that didn't have test rides for everything they carried, both new and used. You might find the K1200 series actually tickles your fancy more in the end (based on your Kat 1100 experiences & preferences).

(B) Trailer to the Gap? What kind of twisty insanity is this? If you're going to make it, ride down! It's not like your work will miss you... Stop at members' places on the way if you want to break it up into pieces, or just do it as a straight shot like a number of the other Canadians have... After all, you're looking at buying a globe-spanning any-obstical bike.
        EDIT: just saw the entry about vacationing with the GF & her son afterwards, so I guess riding around in a car makes more sense for that, although you could still ride down & back after driving around with her for x number of days... (I also realize a GF with a son must be a different GF than the one last year with a daughter -- you sure this one will still be around come June/July?)

I won't even comment on the car-purchasing choices beyond saying that maybe you should also consider cars that are powerful enough to do the tow-jobs and do better the rest of the time than a large pick-up...

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        One of the guys I ride with is actually a BMW salesman. katman05 met him I believe....he rides an R1. I am going to sit down and have a pow-wow with him and see what he has to offer before making any big decisions. we sort of discussed it last summer, but not much cuz I wasn't really ready to invest just yet. he might also be tagging along to the gap this summer.

as for the gf with the daughter, you are thinking of the crazy jealous possessive psycho that wouldn't let me breathe. she has been gone since way last summer.
        this one with the son....been with her since then end of august. going on 8 months now. I am positive she will be around by july.

I have considered a car....but deep down, I am a pick-up kinda guy. I like the height to see ahead, and the box just to chuck my junk in. I am too hard on a car. with the "construction" projects in the near future that I have planned, a truck would just be way more practical for me.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          Remember Mojoe if we are both in Austin (or St Paul for that matter) I need to buy you at least one beer!
          you're not going to the gap this year, bud?

Comment

I should mention something that sort of has to do with the big change. I have not purchased anything on credit since 1989. After the drunk driver hit me in 1990, and the insurance screwed me over to the point of losing my house and everything by 93, I just dropped out of the system. I haven't even filed taxes since 2000. and when I did, they had to go back to 93.
            Now I just figure I would become "mainstream" again and aquire some debt.....lol.
            being debt free was sweet for sure, but it sort of limits you. it is not financially wise to go dump $20k cash on a vehicle. that is why I was always "cash and carry" on vehicles around the $5k price. Now I figure wtf.....take on a little debt...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
              I have considered a car....but deep down, I am a pick-up kinda guy. I like the height to see ahead, and the box just to chuck my junk in. I am too hard on a car. with the "construction" projects in the near future that I have planned, a truck would just be way more practical for me.
              Maybe you should look into the Mercedes Sprinter (they are sold as Dodge products in the US, but are designed/built by Mercedes truck division in reality)... Enough space for three bikes and tools, or 15 sheets of plywood, and none of it has to see the weather nor the potential damages of being on a trailer/bed. Pretty damn cheap here too ($22k new?) and they get very good fuel mileage (averaging around 20 mpg in Florida's heat with the A/C blasting artic-frigid at 65 mph).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                Maybe you should look into the Mercedes Sprinter (they are sold as Dodge products in the US, but are designed/built by Mercedes truck division in reality)... Enough space for three bikes and tools, or 15 sheets of plywood, and none of it has to see the weather nor the potential damages of being on a trailer/bed. Pretty damn cheap here too ($22k new?) and they get very good fuel mileage (averaging around 20 mpg in Florida's heat with the A/C blasting artic-frigid at 65 mph).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                ummm....how do I say this? YUK!!
                although I agree with you that they are very practical rigs, they totally lack any "coolness". I would like to be able to go out for dinner on a special occassion with my vehicle, and not have the valet tell me "deliveries are in the rear" when I pull up.

Comment

ummm....how do I say this? YUK!!
                  although I agree with you that they are very practical rigs, they totally lack any "coolness". I would like to be able to go out for dinner on a special occassion with my vehicle, and not have the valet tell me "deliveries are in the rear" when I pull up.
                  Well, that's my German side peaking out: functionality before beauty.

Then again, you're talking about getting a BMW GS-series... Often referred to as one of the ugliest production cycles on the planet, with a design that only a Teutonic invader's offspring could love.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well, sometimes I find "ugly" can be beautiful.....like the GS series bikes. They are designed to do "ugly things", which makes them look kinda sext for what they do.
                    but the sprinter......well, unless you are delivering milk or something, they just look plain ugly...lol.

Comment

well, sometimes I find "ugly" can be beautiful.....like the GS series bikes. They are designed to do "ugly things", which makes them look kinda sext for what they do.
                      but the sprinter......well, unless you are delivering milk or something, they just look plain ugly...lol.
                      The secret to making a Sprinter look cool is the custom-config option (for you, I'd set 4 captain's style seats in two rows, extra set of exterior windows & sliding door for the rear passengers, then a solid-divider and behind that a fold-up work table/bed (without/with mattress) on the left wall, plus tool-bin on the divider wall (give you both a mobil workshop & hauling-space for the bikes, plus triple-duty as a camper if desired). Then take it to a signage place and have them make full-vehicle-size decals to suit -- for you, a direct shot of a close 1-2-3 MotoGP finish put lifesize on the vehicle might suit you, I'd think (if I'm wrong, pick your favorite scenic or action picture), and maybe Secret Mojoe Team HQ or Mojoe MC Enterprises on the back doors... It'll never be sexy, but it can at least look cool

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X