Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Ever get caught in the snow on your bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever get caught in the snow on your bike?

Watching outside my window today at work and seeing the snow come down, getting to leave early because of the snow, and sitting in traffic on the way home, in the snow, for 90 minutes, got my thinking...did you ever get caught in the snow on your bike? What did you do?

I got stuck a couple times. One time it was just flurries and i rode home the othe time it was a bad snow storm and I put the bike in a bay at work and left it for a couple days till the snow stopped.
    I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane

Comment

Yes. Several times.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

I ride 35 miles one way to work, so unless the daytime temps are gonna be above 60, I dont ride...

If I rode to work when the temps are below 40,
        I wouldnt be able to feel my fingers for hours!

Comment

Originally posted by OtLa
          I ride 35 miles one way to work, so unless the daytime temps are gonna be above 60, I dont ride...

If I rode to work when the temps are below 40,
          I wouldnt be able to feel my fingers for hours!
          I'm 26 miles to work. I try not to ride when the temps get below 35 degrees F, and my fingers are usually useless for quite a while after I get there.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

Comment

Happened to me a few times. I just take it slow, watch the turns, and try to stay warm

Comment

from the local board - local guys i ride with

"Here's the scoop for inquiring minds.
              We came up on a stretch of pretty much solid snow and ice.It was a downhill section with a slightly banked corner towards the bottom. I made it through first,then Roger, Brian, and Jason made it.Roger walked back up the hill to help Mike and Jake. We waited a little whileand then I decided to go help too. This is where stupidity set in. About 5' back into the snow section, I realized there was probably no way I would be able to turn the bike around without dumping it so I rode back through to the other end to turn around. I was coming back down and about 3/4 of the way through I started sliding towards the drop off side of the bank. All of a sudden the bike slipped out from underneath me. I was still in a sitting position on the bike but my left leg was sticking straight out in a sideways split mode.I slid for bout 20' like that and came to a stop just before going over the edge.Everyone else came running up the hill to help.

You wouldn't believe how hard it is for 5 guys to upright a zx12 when you're standing on snow and ice, but we managed to finally get it standing. No serious damage except my leg.
              I started it up and made it about 5-10' and went down again.
              This time it was even harder to pick up. We finally got it up and got it on dry pavement but the stator cover was punctured and the oil drained out.
              Yagmaster, R1 Ramjet, and Jen rode to Yags house and got the trailer whil;e I coasted down the hill as far as I could.
              We then tried some towing using big zip-ties. It worked for a while but the 12 is a little too heavy for the uphills.
              45-R1, R1 Bastard and I just hung out and paced.After a while 45R1 went into Carlton to get us some sustinence and make phone calls.
              We just hung out on the mountain till Roger, Jake and Jen made it back.We loaded upon Yags trailer and headed for Newberg for some grub.(most had not eaten the entire day) Yag then towed my bike to Salem and they headed back home. I drove home from there and pulled in at 2:00 am.
              By the time I got home I couldn't walk, but after a restless night and finally getting some sleep late, the leg is better. The Doc says pulled hamstring. Apparently my new ACL is still in place and he said to give it a few days to see if the swelling goes down in my knee.
              I would like to publicly apologize for messing up the other guys ride. I'm SORRY.

I tried to get Brian and Jason to leave but they wouldn't!

Thank You.....Yagmaster,R1 Ramjet,45-R1, R1 Bastard,and Jen.

Lesson for the day.....If at first you succeed, don't go back and do it again."

tim
              Attached Files

Comment

man...thats rough. i figured that if he was going to go back up and help, he would have left hte bike at the bottom of the hill. but thats just me.
                if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

I lucked out last summer when a big storm blew across my way home I was about 5 min behind the hail but when i caught up there was a foot of quater sized hail on the road, would have sucked to in it like the poor curiser riders i ran into at the next gas station.

I hit a little snow in washinton laroudn labour day, noting magor just enough to make you slow it down and turn put the warmer / drier gloves on.

Comment

oh man that is rough! glad it worked out ok though in the end, no serious injuries.

Ive gotten caught in flurries many times, but never in any heavy snow. Now riding dirtbikes in snow, yeah, used to do that all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by dark169
                      I lucked out last summer when a big storm blew across my way home I was about 5 min behind the hail but when i caught up there was a foot of quater sized hail on the road, would have sucked to in it like the poor curiser riders i ran into at the next gas station.

I hit a little snow in washinton laroudn labour day, noting magor just enough to make you slow it down and turn put the warmer / drier gloves on.
                      OMG, hail hurts like a BEYOTCH. I thought that freezing rain hurt my neck...hail pummeled me into submission like I was Jerry Cooney.

Comment

holy geez, HAIL !!!!!!!! man that would have sucked !!!! especially that big !!!

any damage to your bike at all bisq ?

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                          holy geez, HAIL !!!!!!!! man that would have sucked !!!! especially that big !!!

any damage to your bike at all bisq ?
                          No. I ran like a frightened mouse under a gas station canopy. I'm sure I looked like quasimodo.

I was actually more concerned about my helmet than the bike after all of that racket. After it was all over, nothing seemed to be worse for the wear.

Comment

I know ive gotten nicks in my lids before from buds or rocks when riding..but man, hail, especially come down from the sky at you had to suck !

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                              I know ive gotten nicks in my lids before from buds or rocks when riding..but man, hail, especially come down from the sky at you had to suck !
                              I've picked up a new rock nick, but other than that, I've been lucky.

Comment

Working...
                              X