X

I am 14 but what bike should i get?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 14 but what bike should i get?

Hello my name is chris. I love the katana, but i keep talking to people and i hope to be able to do wheelies and stuff on a motorcycle. But i would love to get a gixer 600 but the insurance is 6000$ CDN... so i looked at a katana and its 2800$ a year for insurance... plus i can get the bike for cheaper. So i think i want a 2004 katana with a tuned pipe and a braada seat cover. but people always say that the sv650s is better. What is you opinion and why?

Sorry everyone that was not the exact question i wanted to ask. THose were technically "side questions" ... i really want to know what is the better bike. Which bike will i be able to enjoy and keep for quite a few years and still have alot of fun with friends and my father.
    Thanks alot
    SV650
    0.00%
    SV650S
    0.00%
    Katana
    100.00%

sit on each bike and pick which is more comfy to you
    Hello World.

Comment

well, get whatever bike you want. like people say, its not what you ride its that you ride. either, in my opinion are nice. and if you get a kat, you can still wheelie, just change the gearing on it (sprockets).
      if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

If you think insurance cost now, Wait till you get busted pullin wheelies. Then check the cost.

I agree with the advice of the first two post. Check them all out then get the one you like best. If others don't like your choice don't worry they don't have to ride it, you do!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I call troll

Comment

Bump!!! lol
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

14 and ur lookin for a bike ? ..something sounds alittle off in mudville..

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                wtf bud... everyone should be excited that kids like me are lookin at bikes and want to ride and wanna grow up to enjoy themselves on a bike!

Comment

BAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAA
                  I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by prep_it_up
                      Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                      wtf bud... everyone should be excited that kids like me are lookin at bikes and want to ride and wanna grow up to enjoy themselves on a bike!

Heyyyyyyy Youngster, watch your language!

I have a 14 year old and I wouldn't let him near a Kat, or SV, or any streetbike over 500cc now. Heck, if I could score a grey market NSR50 that would be the only streetbike he'd ride till he was 17, and most likely that would be track use only. I'd stick to dirt for a while (which is where Black Falcon is leaning). Get the basics under your belt on a 125 or 250. Fall a few times..... ok, a LOT of times. See how it feels. Then imagine that at 50 mph on asphalt after a wheelie-gone-bad. Nothing against stunting, but you have to respect the bike first.

Then look at a Ninja 250 or GS500. I don't deny you may have experience and mad skills now, it's just that wheelies and stoppies don't translate to the real world of riding very well. Real world riding experience is what keeps you from becoming a skidmark.

I would say look into MSF but I don't think you're old enough yet.
                      (Not my rules, CHP's)
                      sigpic

Comment

All I can say is that if you are 14 do not get caught in the stunting phase of motorcycles. It think it is great that you want to get a bike and learn to enjoy the sport like everyone else. Yes you will get flamed for asking about wheelies. We take motorcycling serious to a point on here. Doing wheelies just because is no reason to get a bike. The general public hate sportbikes and it is mainly for people acting stupid in public with them.

Now with that said. If this is your first bike I do not recommend the SV650 just because of the torque of a v-twin. It will get you into trouble faster than you know it. Go with a Katana 600, Ninja 250, 500. These are great learing bikes and you can always sell them and get back most of your money. You can upgrade any bike to give it more power and better handling. I hope this helps you out a little.

Just FYI anytime you visit a motorcycle forum and ask about popping wheelies and saying that you are new to riding you will tend to get some slack for it. So just be aware of the board you are on. There are boreds out there that talk about the right way to do stunting. Just make sure if you get into that part not to do it out on public roads. Do not feel pressure from friends that tell you to get a Gixxer, CBR, etc... I have owned a CBR and if you are new to riding you will go down with in the first month of riding. Not saying this to be mean it is just a fact.

Welcome to KR and try not take things to much to heart. We just like to look out for the new riders and help them down the right path so not to get hurt or killed on a motorcycle.
                        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Oh dear, is this for real, who's messing around and passing themself off as a Canadian again!
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

How do I say this nicely? Your 14 years old and you would love to buy a gixxer to do wheelies on. Then you complain about the cost of insurance.

DUDE!!!!! YOU ARE THE REASON MY INSURANE IS SO HIGH!!!
                            I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

Ok, lets go on the assumption that you are not a troll,and that you have a legitmate question and you really wanna know about bikes and getting into street riding. Regardless of whether you have any current riding experience on dirtbikes, etc. or not. You're first LEGAL & Legitimate riding experiences on the streets in the real world traffic, should have nothing to do with wheelies and stunts. If you aspire to be a stunter someday, thats great..but it should be the fartherest thing from your mind starting out on the streets, and I guarantee IF, you take the MSF, and even mention wheelies or stoppies? They'll toss u out on ur ear after they make a spectical of you. And I'd highly advised that you do indeed take that course. You'd do well to heed the advice given to you here on KR.

Ok,now the diplomatic part of the reply..

That being said, that kat is a great bike for beginners and vets alike, and u'd do well with it. The SV would be a second choice, and a gixxer a far far distant 3rd.

The SV is a great bike, and like the Kat is good all around. Dont listen to what people tell you about the Kat. you'll get all kinds of negative feedback, just from public perception alone, which normally doesnt include much legit information.

But you still have atleast a couple years yet till u can get ur license so you have time to figure it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X