X

Can I work on my own Bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I work on my own Bike?

I know this sounds like such a dumb question, but I am afraid to tinker with it too much because I know very little about motorcycles. On the other hand I was an Automotive technician for about 6-7 years total. I have the service manual, so I would imagin I could pull it off. These machines fairly easy to work on? Or should I just not bother with it? I am pretty mechanically inclined, but for some reason I am afraid of messing this thing up.

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

No worries! Just pay attention and do what I do sometimes: Use a digital camera to take pics for reference purposes.
    Ron
    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Do you do your own routine maintenance like oil changes or spark plug changes? If not, start off with that. Then maybe take the rear wheel off to inspect the bearings. I'm guessing if you start off slow you'll get confidant in your skills like you are with cars.
      1994 Naked Katana 600
      Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

You can do it! Just take your time and research here first. You will save some serious cash. If you run into a brick wall, KR is always there. I know Cyber got me out of a bind once or twice!
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

I might be working on my bike for the first time this weekend, been having stalling / rough running problems, going to talk to the dealership in the morning and see if they can look at it (they just did a tune up monday before I took it home after buying friday)

Comment

I had to drop the frame on my bike before I even got to ride it cause of a oil leak. First time working on real bike. Pretty easy thanks to the help I got from here.

Comment

Working on Katana's is fairly easy for the normal stuff. BUT it helps to have the following

The service manual (that you have)
              Some basic tools
              a digital camera (take pics as you take it apart so you know what goes where putting it back together)

A garage, or covered work area - I know a few members here don't have anything of the sort and it makes things much more difficult.

And finally Net access, so if you get stumped you can post here for help.
              Kyle

Comment

When I first started riding , I didn't know a THING about bikes (or much else besides guitars , and that not much ) . I was labeled "mechanically inept" by my uncle , the professional mechanic . I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild right now . Scary , but getting done (one day ) . I've done an engine swap , took the head off to clean , carbs TOTALLY apart , lots of other stuff over the years .
                Hell , you already know which end of the hammer to hold on to and which end smashes things , so have at it .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                X