X

Riding Position

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding Position

I'm thinking of doing some commuting on this bike and I just want to know if this is something you could sit on for half an hour or forty-five minutes and not go nuts from back pain or sore hands. Specifically, I'm talking about the pre-98 design.

Dang that's a sweet bike.
    Nobody looks back on his or her life and wishes they had spent more time at work.

my 98+ bike is comfy I have been on it for 2 hours at a time with no issue hence the reason it is classified as a sport touring bike.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I have a 2000 model and don't have any problems with comuting long distance. I travel about 45 minuts to work without a problem.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

My 1990 was pretty comfy. Just gotta stretch before you ride...that seems to help.
        Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

Re: Riding Position

Originally posted by Nomad
          I'm thinking of doing some commuting on this bike and I just want to know if this is something you could sit on for half an hour or forty-five minutes and not go nuts from back pain or sore hands. Specifically, I'm talking about the pre-98 design.

Dang that's a sweet bike.
          I used to ride my 94 600 up to Mackinaw Bridge and back on my days off almost once a week. Fourteen hours in the saddle was no problem for me.
          I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane

Comment

I am not sure what the difference in Ergos are between the pre 98's and the post 98's. I can tell you this though.

I have a bad knee, that usually prevents me from sitting in one position for to long of a time. I can easily ride teh Kat for about 6 or 7 hours (with a little stop every hour or two) before my knee really starts to get sore. I also do a lot of 8 and 9 hour rides, and never really have a issue.

At first you will get a little sore. Your muscles will be in a position that they are not used to, but you will break them in soon enough. Even for me, at each start of the riding season after our long winters, I have to re-break myself in.

The Kat is a great bike comfort wise, and once you get used to the bike, you will find you can ride her all day.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Okay, I dig what I'm hearing. I wouldn't mind taking her to Las Vegas (5/12 hours), but I just don't want to get to a point where I'm halfway there and find out that my hands are dying.
              Nobody looks back on his or her life and wishes they had spent more time at work.

Comment

I rode that long to Ottawa on a ninja so suck it up boyyyyyyy
                (just doggin ya)

Stretch, stop, take a break...you'll be fine

OH! and I'm a girlie girl.
                Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

Hey girlie girl! Yeah, I usually take breaks when I'm on a long haul. With some bikes it can really take it outta ya. Thank god for gel grips.

Comment

Lots of breaks. Get some water, eat a little snack, and you will be good to go.

A 5and a half hour trip is nothing on the bike. Just make sure you are broke into it first. You will be a little tense and tight at first until you learn how to sit, and learn how to relax on it.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

kats are great for long rides, Ive ridden literally from sun up to sun down, and felt 100 times better than I have on most sport bikes after long rides. The seating position is very desirable for long rides, and the stock seat aint half bad either compared to most other sportbikes.

Comment

True about the stock seat, but the Gel seat is so much more comfy. I have not had a chance to try a Corbin or other brand, but I can vouch for the Gel seat
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

After having my torture device, I miss how riding a Kat feels.
                          sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                          MSF Rider Coach 27028
                          MoPowerSports.com
                          Torco
                          SoCalTrackDays

Comment

My first ride that was longer than 20 minutes was a 4 hour trip. I was a little sore, but like everyone else said, you get broken in, and it's almost like sitting on the couch at home... going 90+mph... on twisties... alright, so not so much like sitting on your couch at home. But comfortable non the less

Comment

Black Falcon's '99 is way comfortable. Been riding it inbetween showers while the Busa's in the shop (yes, im going through riding withdrawals). I had forgotten just how comfortable it was. Just as comfy as the Busa if not more so.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X