X

Using GPS with the Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using GPS with the Kat

I was wondering if any of you have used a GPS system with your two wheeler? I have a Garmin Hand held iQue 3600 that I use with my car and found this site that makes hand mounts for it to be put on bikes:

before I go ahead and buy it....just wanted to know if anyone rides with a GPS.....I like cruising the back roads and am new to this place so needed a lil guidance. Are the vibrations too bad and does it kinda fall off? etc etc

Thanks

I just use a map on my tank bag.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

i had a Garmin on mine for a while and had problems with it shutting down because of vibration.

Comment

I had a Garmin GPS V on my VFR. I LOVED it. Never had ANY problems at all. I had it wired to a relay along with my heated grips...

Mounted with a RAM mount.
        -Steve

Comment

I'm a woman, I stop and ask for directions
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by KatDan2
            i had a Garmin on mine for a while and had problems with it shutting down because of vibration.
            My Magellan did the same thing, so I got a 12v power cord and that kept it on... until it died. I'm not keen on trying that again.
            Matt

If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't.

Comment

I ride with a GPS all the time have no problem.

I ussaly just leave it in my tank bag or I rigged up a magnetic holder. but i will be picking up a mount for the bars this spring.

Comment

I have seen new GPS units that jogger wear. They are small, compact, and would look pretty good on a bike if all you are wanting to monitor is speed and what not. The only problem is, I am not sure if they give you a speed in the double or triple didgets, and if it is in MPH. Anyone know?

Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

i think i would want something that had mapping on it already..
                  Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I use an etrex vista. It has never given me a problem except for getting so hot sitting in the sun after a whole day of riding the display is black. I got some industrial velcro from Radio Shack and put it on top of the triples, then put the other side on the E trex. Not fancy but it did the job. It has held up to a verified 167.2 mph!
                    I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane

Comment

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 76 with a RAM mount system that is similar to the one at Cyco Active. The cantilevered mass does vibrate more than I had anticipated but I haven't had any problem.

Comment

I'm a woman, I stop and ask for directions
                        LMAO

I have a Vitsa also that I use for desert riding. The Ram
                        mounts are very good. I will be looking to get one for the Kat.
                        Answer to your yes go with the Ram. I have yet to hear anyone complain about them.
                        'Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains" !

Comment

Thanks a ton guys......this helps a lot....am gonna give it a try. Cycoactive also sells some power options to connect to the Garmin. Hopefully it works.

Ride aown babyah........!

Comment

I use my male instincts, so I dont need no stinkin map..then when all else fails, I'll get lost some more, and then stop and ask directions.

Comment

GPS mount.

I use a garmen on my bike (1998) and I made a mount that mounts under the triple tree. Here is a pic. I am thinking of making some of these mounts and selling them to our members if they want one. It is out of the way and is easy to see. Also keeps some of the direct sun off of it. Is very sturdy and has hardly any vibration.
                              Rain or Shine, Onward I ride..........

Comment

Working...
                              X