X

Loading and Hauling your bike ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loading and Hauling your bike ?

Whats the best way to do it.. trailer or just put it right in the back of a pickup? Anybody use a canyon dancer to tie it down ? Any tips or tricks that you've come across over the years for easier loads/unloads?

Since many of us will be at the gap, info. like this could come in handy

Anybody know how much it costs to rent a motorcycle trailer,say from uhaul or something? or is it just as easy to rent a small regular open trailer, and tie it down.

Uhaul cycle trailer is 15 bux a day. This is what I did my last trip to the gap, just a regular flat bed trailer. For one bike, I just find a store with a handicap ramp and stairs on the other side, drive the bike up the handicap ramp, back the truck up over the steps and open the tailgate. I have library by my house that is like that. It puts the tailgate with in an inch of the same height as the concrete at the top of the handicap ramp.. Works perfect
    Attached Files
    I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane

Comment

That's what I'll probably do as well..not sure if I'll have someone else coming down w/ me or not, but either way, a trailer that size would do well. thanks!

Comment

Oh crap, where's me writeup from KP? I found a really good way to haul the Kat, and put very little stress on the forks too. I'll see if I can find my writeup on it.

As far as the Canyone Dancers go, I've used them and like 'em.

Comment

I put my bike right in the back of my pickup. Soft straps around the triple tree on both sides, ratchet straps off of both of those.

Additionally, soft straps on the grab bar, ratchet straps off of those, and stabilizing straps off of the rear subframe.

All ratchet straps--crank 'em down so that the suspension is compressed, and that baby isn't going to go ANYWHERE.

Go easy of the subframe straps--they're more for insurance.

Works great. I've done multiple long-distance trips with this setup. Let me know if you need more details. I'll help out with whatever you need.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Ok this may be a stupid question but what is a canyon dancer?
            PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
            The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by cgstrong2002
              Ok this may be a stupid question but what is a canyon dancer?

Comment

Nick and I got 2 sets at the last bike show for $20! Can't wait to use them!
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

AHF hit it right on and don't forget the trailer. lol
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I got a canyon dancer from a friend of mine, but have yet to use it. I tried once before on a motorcycle trailer, but it was an older one, and their was too much length to really tighten them down. So i'll give it a shot this year and see.

Comment

Right on the back of my truck, unless I'm taking more than one bike. The I'll have a trailer to borrow.

I guess that I'm fortunate. My bike has attachment points made especially for the straps. Not sure what bikes they come on. I can take pics if needed.

She'd be smiling if she had 996 cc's of thumping twin power between her legs

Comment

ok speaking from experience...

I have trailer now so i will not experience this again.

Make sure your ramp is long enough to have a an even slope up to the truck bed. A steep ramp will prevent you from being able to ride the bike up the ramp. Generally it will bottom out as you get half way into the truck. I tie down with soft straps around the tree and then ratchet straps to the truck. the reatcht straps work better as they lock into place and can't work their way out later one during travel. I also lock them down so that the suspension is down some.

Most or rather some will say all you need are front straps.. well I strap the back down as well using the holes in therear foot pegs area or the baggage bars. have not used the trailer yet but that shoudl be much much easier to use.
                        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Canyon Dancers, 4 tie downs per bike. Find a hill or incline to help, then throw it in the back with a ramp.
                          I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan
                            Canyon Dancers, 4 tie downs per bike. Find a hill or incline to help, then throw it in the back with a ramp.
                            Ditto, except for the canyon dancers. I'm pretty sure that we had six ties per bike on this trip:

Worked great--bikes didn't move a millimeter over the next 800 miles or so, and even through the Gap.. I don't know what Keith was rooting around for in the back of my truck, though.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Now that is the way to haul to bike guys!!
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                              Who knows what is next?
                              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                              X