X

removing the fairing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing the fairing

when I take of the fairing do I need to take off the mirrors and wind screen, and turn lights? I'm going to do a mesh mod but I dont want to take all that off just for some mesh,maybe I'll do it all at once when I get some smoke lenses.
    2003 gsx600f (the yellow one)
    vortex sprockets,D&D slip on,c/f led lights
    JIM's cowl, mesh, clearalt's ds signal, zero gravity ds screen

I know you have to take the mirrors off, and the lights come off with the fairing. You will have to unhook the bulbs though. Not sure about the screen though

Comment

if ur just doing a mesh mod and nothing else with the front front fairings, you wont have to actually remove the headlights, just unplug the parking lite from the front fairing covering the headlight, and ur good to go. It all fits together like a puzzle, so its pretty easy to take apart and put back together, but it is time consuming alittle. You dont have to actually pull off the entire windscreen, but the upper bolts that you can see at the top of the windscreen on the outside, would need to come off though.

and yep like crackshot says, the mirrors will need to come off too.

word to the wise.. keep track of all the allen bolts..theres a few different sizes...i kept them separated on little pieces of paper, and marked the paper where they came off of...makes it easier so u dont forget one when putting it back together.

and dont forget to put up the pics too as you go along!

Comment

What they said.

ALso, I have these little plastic tubes, one for each side of the bike ( for you math majors, that would be two) that I put the bolts into as I am removing the fairings. That way right and left are seperated and nothing disappears. I know where each bolt goes by sight now. Sad but true.
        AMA member # 224227

Comment

Watch those two little plung anchors on the underside of the front, above the fender. They can be a pain to get out.

Comment

yeah good call, those little buggers are a pain in the arse..nearly impossible to get off, unless u just snap them off and buy new ones. I tried to pry the little arms away and reuse them, but ended just getting irriated and they snapped anyways. 1.50 a piece at any local dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by AHF
              Watch those two little plung anchors on the underside of the front, above the fender. They can be a pain to get out.
              Don't you just push the center of it in with a screw driver or something? Then when you reinstall them, push the center pole to the outside of the anchor, put in place and push the pole in flush locking it? Or are you talking about a different part?
              Common sense is great, it's just not all that common.

Comment

the little plastic clips are easy to remove...take a small screwdriver and push the middle of the clip inwards..you will then be able to remove the clip without breaking it...once removed push the middle part back up from underneath so you are ready to reinstall
                Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Yes, you guys are both right...but it doesn't always push up through the anchor. At least, that was the case for me.

Comment

thats what I ran into AHF..in theory it sounded good, and was indeed supposed to work that way, but didnt happen for me, so I just ended up buying 2 new ones.

Comment

dang, well I got some work then thaks for the pointers. I had that problem with my tail I broke a couple of those locks off cause they wouldnt cooperate.
                      2003 gsx600f (the yellow one)
                      vortex sprockets,D&D slip on,c/f led lights
                      JIM's cowl, mesh, clearalt's ds signal, zero gravity ds screen

Comment

I like to set things on fire.

Oh wait, wrong thread
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                        X