X

Clutch need help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch need help!

Hello everyone long time no see. I traveled about 400 miles today and my clutch started slipping. I have about twenty thousand miles on it. is it shot or can I adjust it from the bottom? Also how much is it to replace it if I do it my self?
    joe
    sigpic

for a clutch kit from dennis kirk its bout 60-75 bux for the kit, but you gotta ad in shipping and assuming you didnt screw it up, and i think you need some fluid in there too if im not mistaking

Comment

Originally posted by Duff
      and i think you need some fluid in there too if im not mistaking
      How is your kat cooled? Does your kats use prestone or oil cooled? Is it a wet clutch or a dry clutch? Mine is a wet clutch....uses engine oil. I am just curious what your is.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Well..if it's a Kat..it's gonna be oil/air cooled w/ a wet clutch system...

So, if I were you, I would first do an oil change (cheap and easy). Are you using a synthetic? If not, try one (like Mobil 1 MX4T). If you're still having problems, then maybe you probably have a legitamit Clutch problem.

You could take it in, but its gonna be $$$! and it's not really an easy job (I've never replaced one, but I know its harder than a lot of the stuff I've done...it seems pretty dauntin to me)

Sorry if that's not very much help, good luck.

Comment

You go Mojoe!!!!

First off, Kat6, have you ever adjusted the clutch or had it adjusted?
          20,000 miles IMHO is alot of miles for a bikes clutches. It is possible to get alot of mileage on clutches. I don't reccomend it though.
          I would reccomend adjusting the clutch and changing oil in the bike and see what happens from there. when was the last time you changed oil in the bike? I change mine about 2,000 miles but I am hard on my bike.
          400 miles on a bike that has worn clutch plates and the oil hasn't been changed for more than 3 months can cause a problem but maybe not enough of a problem that it means changing clutches.
          Change your oil
          clean the clutch cable
          adjust the clutch
          then we go from there!
          Thom
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZ
            20,000 miles IMHO is alot of miles for a bikes clutches. It is possible to get alot of mileage on clutches. I don't reccomend it though.
            I am almost afraid to tell you how many miles I have on my clutches for fear you will say I am full of shit. But I kid you not...I bought my 92 in 93 with 6k kilometers on it. It now has 220k kilometers on it. I swear on my mom's head....the clutches are the same ones that were in it when I bought it. No slipping at all. However my rings are shot and it smokes.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

but do you change the oil regularly Mojoe?
              And you are how hard on it, I think I saw a thread of yours about going faster and faster j/k
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Call me up, bring it over, we'll take a look at it.

20k miles is about average for a city rider (light-to-light) or someone who slams the clutch a lot, but you can get far more than that out of the clutch if you do mostly highway miles and are good about matching RPM's.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have a 2000 katana 600 I change the oil every 2k I put car synthetic oil in about 3 changes ago and ran it for 1k before switching back I will talk to Thanks
                  Joe
                  sigpic

Comment

I fixed it! I took the kat apart and found the lower adjustment and made a tweak. Just like new.
                    Joe
                    sigpic

Comment

Sweet dude, so happy that it wasn't a major fix. I have had my bike for 1 1/2 years and I have adjusted my clutch twice but I am picky. Good job there Kat6, try not to be a stranger!
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      Who knows what is next?

Comment

Working...
                      X