X

Ever run race fuel in ur Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever run race fuel in ur Kat

Ever run anything like turbo blue, or some equivilant to race fuel in your current bike? This can actually damage your engine after prolonged use, correct

I never have, but in my old yamaha, the previous owner ran a tank thru every once in awhile..and dizamn!! talk about smokin !!

i ran 100 in it over the summer, ran great and smelled awesome i loved teh smell of race fuel

Comment

I would have to say race fuel is hard on the valve train of a stock bike.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Ummm... yep. I use it all the time actually. Every 4th tank of fuel I used to mix Turbo Blue with my fuel. However, i had someone once tell me not to do that due to the water content in it...

So, now I usually mix with VP Racing fuels. 108 Octane. Every 4th tank I mix at 60/40 (fuel/VP) or some where in that range give or take a little bit.

I also mix it on my track bike as well as my Ysr racers.

Comment

There's race fuels and then there's race fuels... if the fuel contains an oxygenator (traditionally mandatory for fuels above 100 octane), it's as if you've increased your compression levels a bit, but you are also raising the cylinder temperature significantly in the process, which may induce damages to the aluminum parts. If it's 100 octane or lower, it should make no difference what so ever, and actually net you less power than 87 or 88 octane does (since lower octane ratings actually contain more power per volume, part of the reason they are less stable).

KNOW THIS:
          Many "Race" fuels contain lead, which is not compatible with the catalytic converters found on the '04 & '05 California models, and isn't recommended for the Kat engines in general (but shouldn't do serious damage from just the occasional tankful other than minor plug fouling).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

so does it actually "help" at all to put a tank in from time to time?

Comment

I have put some in my tank every once in a while. The key is to only put about a 1:2 ratio in. Meaning only about a gallon of of the say Turbo Blue and the rest regular fuel. It can damage your engine after prolonged use if it is not set up to burn the higher octane fuels correctly.
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                so does it actually "help" at all to put a tank in from time to time?
                Not IMHO, but hey, what do I know? I've never tried "Turbo Blue" (or even looked at the ingredients). I guess, like many things that can be done, the real question is whether you want extra power or extra longevity.

A good detergent package on the other hand can definitely help occasionally (either good name brand fuel or an additive like Techron fuel system cleaner).

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  ...it should make no difference what so ever, and actually net you less power than 87 or 88 octane does (since lower octane ratings actually contain more power per volume, part of the reason they are less stable).

KNOW THIS:
                  Many "Race" fuels contain lead, which is not compatible with the catalytic converters found on the '04 & '05 California models, and isn't recommended for the Kat engines in general (but shouldn't do serious damage from just the occasional tankful other than minor plug fouling).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  I also know that the very small combustion area (squish area) means that the volubility of the lower octane fuel (low octane=fast burn while high octane=slow burn) will not cause pinging, so the fuel gets a better burn. So I guess that the higher octane renders less of an effect. Maybe just burns out any carbon in the chamber
                  My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

I will stick with the Chevron Techron. Ran it last year and noticed a pretty significant difference.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I run 100 octane in mine all the time. I would say that I can tell a difference and the smell is great. When regular gas is almost $2.00 a gallon here and 100 is only $4.00 why not run the good stuff.
                      sigpic93 Katana
                      98+ Rear Wheel 170/60/17 47 tooth Rear Sprocket
                      Vance and Hines SS2R Custom Airbrushing

03 Alstare 600
                      Salvaged title (lol)

Comment

Is there a difference in the older kats verses the new? IE catalitic converter?

Comment

Originally posted by blacksheep
                          Is there a difference in the older kats verses the new? IE catalitic converter?
                          There are year by year changes for virtually every year, most minor, a few more major, and then the whole-enchillada revamp for the '98 model year.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X