X

what numbers do they look for? Ohio salvage inspection

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what numbers do they look for? Ohio salvage inspection

Feb 6 my bike is going in for inspection to get a rebuilt salvage title. I live in ohio and I was wondering what numbers do they look for or what exactly do they do during this inspection.

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/title/sal_veh_inspections.htm

FAQ for the above:
    http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/title/title_faq.htm

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ok it says here
      "The purpose of this inspection is to verify the ownership of all parts and to review all required documentation. The inspection is not intended to certify the vehicle's safety, road worthiness, or the quality of workmanship. Each inspection requires a separate $50 fee."

So does that mean that im going to have to have a receipt for the aftermarket pipe and turn signals etc... I havnt really had to do anything to the bike besides fix the front fender but even that was a free fix. I bought it from a salvage dealer so I dont know if that's going to make a difference or not. I have all the paper work from when I bought it along with the title in my name.

Im just worried that Ill need something I dont have since well that's how my luck is. I been looking forward to getting it on the road legally since I bought it on the 13th of Jan. I dont want to get stuck paying another 50 bucks and waiting another 2 to 3 weeks to get it inspected.

Comment

I don't know anything about Ohio's requirements -- that's just what their own site says. I guess it's primary purpose is to keep you from getting a frame and then swapping everything else from a stolen bike into it...

If in doubt, contact the inspection office with your questions.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have re-built a few wrecks and had them inspected here in this great land of Oz. Be sure to take the bike with you. If you "had" to buy any parts to repair the bike then yes, you will need a receipt for those parts. A few times I was able to say that I had extra parts in my garage stock. This will mosrly depend on what parts those were. You should be ok with and exhaust can and a fender.

What the purpose of the inspection is, is too check all your paper work and to be sure that nothing is stolen. They will run the vin# off the bike against all paper work you have for the bike. Be sure that all your paper work is in order before you go.

Another thing to keep in mind if your not already aware of it. In Ohio, after you pass inspection they will grant a "re-build" title. You will not be able to get full insurance on the bike because the bike was a salvage bike and you "re-built" it to put back to running order.

If you have any questions or need any further help, feel free to PM me or shoot me an e-mail. You can get my addy from my profile...

Comment

Thanks a bunch thats what I wanted to know. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X