No announcement yet.
X

I hate this!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Mom doesn't like it, but accepts it and knows I am responsible. She also knows I have been licensed to ride a bike for 4 years or so, and did it often growing up. She sees the gear and the care I take, and that helps. But she doesn't like it.

My wife worries too, but she likes to ride with me, and understands how important it is to me.
    AMA member # 224227

Comment

I was lucky that I grew up in a motorcycle family. Well, my dad rode, and he was the one that rasied me. My mom was just worried about me making sure to always have a helemt on, but that was her only really big thing. My dad sat on the Kat when I first got it, but could not touch flat foot, it was pretty funny.

Just like Cyber siad, your mom is just thinking with her heart, and doesn't want to see anything abd happen to one of her kids.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

I wasnt even riding yesterday, and my dad came over to watch our son for a bit so we could go out..and he saw my helmet on the couch since I just cleaned it again..and he told me the whole always wear ur helmet routine again !

Comment

Need, I'm surprised you can fit a helmet on the fat head of yours!
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

I'm going to speak from the other side for a sec.

My 14 year old can't wait to ride. I can't wait to have my Bud riding with me, but "father-instinct" is a feeling that just won't go away easily. I will fear for him and i'll get a tinge of worry everytime he's on the road. But knowing that I taught him right and knowing that he's a smart kid will keep me sane. (That, and the fact that he has 500+ fellow riders drilling the same concepts into his head on this forum reinforces that.) He'll ride with my "crew" and learn from the examples we set. That knowledge is what parents and loved ones who wring their hands and rant don't have. Now, when he gets 16 we both will have to deal with his mother. I've got two years to gear up for that brouhaha. Speaking as a parent, we will never NOT worry. Sign of love.

Don't ever stop pushing gear to your brother. My brother-in-law rides a Gix1100 and was a charter member of the "shorts&t-shirt" crew. He layed it down once (low speed) but thankfully he was wearing jeans and a leather letterman's jacket. Not the best but it was something. I would always mention something everytime I'd see him on the bike. Christmas day he saw me in them at my son's house wearing my two-piece leathers. First thing out of his mouth was "man, I gotta get me some leathers". Two weeks later called and wanted me to see his new Icon leather jacket and Technic boots. After years of t-shirts and Nikes it was a good sight to see.

You may feel like a nag, but don't stop mentioning it. He is your brother and you want him around for a long time.

BTW: That Harley helmet with the flames is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!
            sigpic

Comment

tdrcomm i will not let my son ride and have a street bike until after he is out of college i think maturity comes with age and sorry for you younger guys i think that younger sometimes take unnecessary risks because they are "indestructble" i know i thought i was until my car accident. then i got wiser.
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

see my rents were cool with it my mom was 100% agains bikes but once it got in the house she was like ok, lol but my dad only got pissed when he found out that i drag race so oh well he doesnt care now i was gonna put some money in to a camaro to buy, and now hes like save the money duff, make your bike faster ..im like hell ya pop

Comment

...........AND NEVER 4GET THOSE GLOVES !!! EVEN ON A 90 DEG SUNNY SUMMER DAY. THE ROAD RASH BURNS MORE THAN THE HOT GLOVE. JUST IMAGINE HOW MANY TIMES A DAY YOU USE YOUR HANDS!!! WEAR YOUR GLOVES (PERIOID)
                  (((((((RIDE HARD OR GO HOME)))))))

Comment

I guess I'm fortunate. Both my parents ride and my dad went with me to get my kat. He did own a suzuki dealership in the 80s. I've always been around them in one form or another. Good luck with your brother. Hope he gets the idea!
                    2005 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

Comment

I think everyone has gone through that stag with are parents I know. I have as well after 14 yrs on and off bikes my parents have came to the Conclusion they have to live with it. I still remember telling my dad when i was 17 after a big argument before i can be old and wise first i have to be young and stupid.
                      it would not be any fun if it was easy! but does it have to be this much fun!!
                      Give A Person Expetations To Live Up To Not to A Reputition To Live Down !!

Comment

My parents are cool with it. My mom was a bit worried at first, but since I've been independent from them more than six years, she knows that it's pointless to try to talk me out it... she eventually gave me some cash to get more gear.

+1 for Cyber's comment, don't talk accident statistics or gear effectiveness... If you feel it's necessary to share about your biking then show pictures of nice places you've visited, talk about nice people you've met because of the bike etc. That might help her understand why you are "putting yourself at risk".
                        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

It's not the parents for me (my Dad rides)...it's the wife. She is dead set against motorcycles, specifically me having one.

I have a deposit down on a new '05 Kat 750 and she is freaked because "it looks dangerous" compared to my current bike ('96 Vulcan 500). I think she's afraid that I will be doing top speed runs and wheelie competitions all day long on the thing, which could not be farther from the truth. I am actually a very conservative rider.

As posted above I just keep "fighting the good fight" and try to be sensitive about it without making too many concessions. She especially hates when I commute to work on a motorcycle, too many cages / rush hour.

But I just can't see not riding at all. You only live once.
                          "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

Working...
                          X