X

OLD AND NEW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLD AND NEW

I see that the older 750s' have 100hp.....torque 54.2 lbs and the new ones' let say 2004 has 92hp....49.2 lbs dos this mean that the older 750 are faster then the new ones or what the 2004 is 5lbs heaver i was just wondering
    http://www.putfile.com/omegajireh AKA ONYOUR6 ......If you think education is expensive, wait till you see the price of ignorance!

Supposedly the older ones do/did have a little bit more power stock . Aren't you glad you got an older Kat ? And as a bonus , they look nicer , too !
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
      Supposedly the older ones do/did have a little bit more power stock . Aren't you glad you got an older Kat ? And as a bonus , they look nicer , too !

+1!!!!
      sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
      MSF Rider Coach 27028
      MoPowerSports.com
      Torco
      SoCalTrackDays

Comment

The first generation Katanas the 89 and up. Got the engine from the 88 GSXR 750's. The 600's also benefited from this as well. Detuned for the 600 but the new katanas got the first generation GSXR motors. So does that explain it to you. I got this information from my repair book which talked about some history about some of suzuki's bikes.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Thank goodness for performance mods, so we can boost that HP up a notch or 2

Comment

Or just throw in a 1127 Gixxer motor and see what gets tossed at ya!
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

ah for once im gonna have to take bear's side on this one, not only do we have more stock hp, we are better looking, and in my own oppinion after stting on a new 750 kat, the 89's are sooooo much more comfortable

Comment

the lbs. you are reading is not weight but foot lbs. of torque.

Comment

They were about .25 quicker the quarter 11.2s instead of a 11.50 for the new kat 750
                  Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
                    ah for once im gonna have to take bear's side on this one, not only do we have more stock hp, we are better looking, and in my own oppinion after stting on a new 750 kat, the 89's are sooooo much more comfortable
                    My side? I haven't posted here yet. But yes you are agreeing with me.
                    1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
                    2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
                    Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Ah, but power is only part of the story. What about that revised fairing and the wider (TPS-controlled) powerband in the midrange? Oddly enough, the newer one is often the faster on in utter top speed because of the aerodynamics. It's a trade-off. If you're in love with acceleration, the older one is definitely the better. If you just cruise, or want to demolish miles at super high speeds, the newer one triumphs it.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

One thing the new Kats have that I wish for...adjustable valve clearances, no more discs.
                        My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Originally posted by katrider
                          One thing the new Kats have that I wish for...adjustable valve clearances, no more discs.
                          Is your Kat a 750? Track down a 88-89 sling shot GSXR head with the cams.

Comment

Yup the older ones have a couple more ponies but it takes more to beat the wind compared to the newer models. Tuned evenly with equal riders pre98 will take it off the line but 98+ will get it in the end.
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by katrider
                              another reason to go really old, they did put screws in the 88-91 600's...
                              - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X