No announcement yet.
X

Heads Up: ABS is coming to a bike near you

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if I would like that pounding while on the kat. Might catch be by suprise, then things woudl get hairy

Comment

I remember the first time I had a car w/ ABS equipped brakes..I was so used to pumpin my brakes manually,since that is how I was taught ever since I started driving...the salesman had to keep telling me, dont pump ur brakes, its being down automatically for you now!

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot
        I don't know if I would like that pounding while on the kat. Might catch be by suprise, then things woudl get hairy
        I think the most recent motorcycle systems are significantly better than what you would expect; they don't jump in until the last possible second, and even then with the larger wheel, the modulation isn't as abrupt as you might expect. Remember, the system only kicks in if the tire isn't turning any more (unlike cars, where they compare speeds at various tires; MC systems normally only take single wheel readings because of tendencies for mismatches between the wheels under certain conditions).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

+1

also...on very nice performance car/braking systems (such as an rs6 or M3/M5), the ABS is VERY advance and do not feel the same as say my car's ABS (which is very rough)

and I'm sure track tires help it smooth out as well.

Comment

I would think it would be cool to have the ABS, but I am not a big fan of the linked braking system like Honda has on the Blackbirds.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Abs good, linked braking bad.

Comment

and they are just NOW testing this on motorcycles??? hmm alittle slow on R&D arent we guys.
                " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Badkitty
                  and they are just NOW testing this on motorcycles??? hmm alittle slow on R&D arent we guys.
                  Actually, no, they're not just testing them. BMW has had it's ABS system for many years, as had Honda -- but you'd normally find them only on heavier, larger bikes. In Honda's case, they've managed to tweak it well enough to be non-obtrusive, portable to smaller bikes without penalty, reduce the rotational mass expense and drive the total cost down far enough to make it make sense for everything they make on two wheels.

Kind of like the lag time between the first introductions of airbags and them becoming "standard" equipment across the car industry.

INTERESTING TIDBIT:
                  BMW also uses servo-activated brakes on most or all of their current product line -- that's right, power brakes. Be careful the first time you ride a BMW, because the braking may be substancially heavier/faster than you expect.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

All my bikes have ABS. Bodywork...
                    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Slip...you have too many bikes.. Give me one (w/ ABS braking of course)

Comment

The Honda SST has had ABS for a while if I am not mistaken.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by dark169
                          Abs good, linked braking bad.
                          Exactly. Maybe on my dress tour bike, but keep linkers off my sportbike.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Working...
                          X