X

How do I Pop a Wheely?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I Pop a Wheely?

Hi, my name is Sweet Lou, and I was wondering, how do I get my front tire to come up? I have been trying to pop a wheely, but have only managed in dropping my bike 3 times now. Any help we be really nice.

Thanks.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Ah you :P

Comment

Re: How do I Pop a Wheely?

Originally posted by SweetLou
      Hi, my name is Sweet Lou, and I was wondering, how do I get my front tire to come up?
      Like this!!

Comment

SQUID!!!!!!!
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Dropped it 3 times huh, bet your bike is really wishing you would just give up..

But if you wanna get some pointers on it, I put this up over on my other site I post at, Two Wheel Forum. so give it a read and see if it helps at all.

Hey guys, found this on the net for all you wheelie wannabe's

The basics, or can I wheelie my bike?

If your bike doesn't have a side car, or a trailer, it can probably be wheelied. I've shifted into 2nd on one wheel on YSR's. I've wheelied dirt bikes, street bikes, and a couple of standards. I've seen Harleys, Goldwings, Katanas, and 125's all pawing at the sky. Yes, your bike can wheelie. Wheelies are made up of three parts. The launch, getting the front wheel off the ground. The balancing portion, riding the wheelie as long as you safely can, clicking gears along the way. This is the most difficult part of wheeling to master. And lastly, set down phase, placing the front wheel back on the ground as safely as possible, trying to place as little wear and tear as possible on your bike.

The Launch
          The launch isn't the most difficult part of doing a wheelie. But I'll spend the most time on this section, because this is where there is the most variation. The less power you have, the fewer your options are. I'm going to divide the launch into three sections. Rolling it on, suspension help, and clutch help.

Rolling it on
          This is probably the safest way, to launch a wheelie, but it doesn't work on an EX-500, or many older 600's. Simply put, just gradually increase your throttle while in first gear, until you are wide open. If your bike has enough power, your front wheel will just come up. I've found this to work very easily on a Suzuki TL1000s, and a Yamaha R1. Didn't work on my 93 900rr, sometimes works on my Kawaski ZX-11. Never works on my YSR. If you have a 600 that you want to do this with, just lower the gearing. With the race gearing I have on my GSXR600 this technique also works. With the stock gearing, no way in hell. So exactly how do you roll it on. Go to about 1/3 of your tach range in 1st gear, then in the amount of time it takes you to say one-thousand-one, have the throttle at full.

Using Suspensions to help
          Ok, so your bike won't roll it on, but you don't want to abuse your clutch. I'm going to talk here about things you can do, that basically assist the roll-on wheelie. These may take practice to work well, but understanding the concepts will apply to any bike. If your bike doesn't do a roll on wheelie, find yourself a steep road, and see if you can wheelie uphill. Is it easier? It should be. The reason why, is that your center of gravity, has already been moved back, lightening your front end. Once you get the wheel off the ground, it takes less power to get it higher.

Those first two inches are the hardest part. Before you ride your bike next time, put both feet on the ground, and push as hard as you can on the front end. Then let it come back up. Practice bouncing the front end up and down. Push hard, and let it come back up. While riding your bike, you can get a similar behavior, by using the throttle. If you whack the throttle open, the front end will come up. At its peak, if you shut the throttle down, engine braking, in combination with the weight of your front end will cause it to go back down. When it's at the bottom of its stroke, if you whack the throttle back open again, you can use the expansion of your front springs, along with your acceleration, to help lift the front wheel. In fact, it doesn't take much at all, to do this.

I'll use my GSXR with stock gearing as an example. I would get going in first gear, so the tach was at about 8500 rpm. Then I would shut the throttle down, then whack it back on. Tugging at the bars a little also helps. This snapping of the throttle is a much quicker movement then rolling your throttle on. Not as quick as you can do it, but I guess that the entire movement should take about 1/2 or less of a second. Basically, go from steady state, shut down, then full open. After some practice you will learn how to time it with your suspension.

Using the Clutch
          So you still can't get the front wheel to come up? I actually find that clutching it up, gives me the most predictable wheelies than any other method. Why? Its much easier to do exactly the same thing over, and over. Basically get rolling in 1st gear to an RPM of about 1/3 to 1/2 of your maximum hp. This is what worked well on my GSXR-600, when it had stock gearing. I would go to about 5000 rpm in 1st gear. Pull in the clutch, rev the engine a time or two, to time it so that the throttle would be wide open and the clutch releasing as the tach swept 9-10k. The next thing you know, your front wheel is way up in the air, and your RPM's are at about 8,000 with the throttle full on. At this point, I would have to roll off some, to find the balance point of the bike. As you learn to do this on your own bike, start out conservatively on your clutch release point, and gradually increase the RPM's each time you try it, until the wheel comes up so high you have to roll off the throttle a tad. You may want to cover your rear brake while you are learning this as well, in case you go too high. Standing up fast, will also help put the front end back down if you over do it. Remember these things!

Shifting
          Ok, so now you have the front wheel up. How do you keep it up? Shift! It's actually much easier then it seems. When you can ride a long ways in first gear without being full-throttle, you are more than ready to shift. My favorite way to shift, is without the clutch. If you haven't done clutchless shifts before, practice on two wheels first. To do a clutchless shift, apply upward pressure to the shift lever, while you are full on the gas, then just briefly snap the throttle, off an on again. This is the fastest way to shift. When on one wheel, you have to get the front wheel really high, to the point where you need to let off the gas from tipping over. At this point, shift! Balance and practice are both important steps here. Practice those clutchless shifts.

Bringing it Down
          So now your front wheel is going down. Either because you got scared and let off the gas, or you just don't have the power to keep it up. Make sure that your front wheel is pointing straight ahead, and keep the throttle open Wide! You want to set the front wheel down as easy as possible. If you chop the throttle, your landing will be very hard, so stay on the gas! Or if you need to come down, just briefly roll off the gas, then get right back on it again, until the front wheel sets down. Expect a chirping noise, and sometimes at higher speeds a bit of a wobble, but as long as the wheel is straight, it's not a big deal.

Body Position
          Where you place your body during where wheelie can have some interesting effects. If you completely weight your footpegs, and sorta stand up, I've found it easiest to get really close to the balance point this way, but It's more difficult to shift while in that position. My reasoning for why balancing is easier standing, is that I've noticed you don't have to spend so much effort holding your body in place, which is frequently done by your hands pulling back on the handlebars. Another reason, could be that your legs are better balance sensors than your butt. In any event, it's definitely worth a try. Hanging off to the side, was something I really started doing without noticing and I was always veering off to one side. You might do this, so that you can see where you are going. When your front end gets way up in the air, you can't see over it very well. So you might have a tendency to lean over one side to get a glimpse around. What I found out, is that you can steer this way. To keep yourself, in the center of your lane, just hang off, the same as you would if you were riding with no hands.

Does this hurt my Bike?
          When you are first learning you will probably do more damage to your bike then during any other time. This is mainly because of missed shifts, or rear brake stomping, or anything that slams your front end down. You may bust a fork seal. You will probably wear out your steering stem bearings faster than normal, and you will definitely need to tighten your steering head down more frequently. You may also wear your rear tire slightly flat, as hard wheelie acceleration wears out the centers more quickly than normal. You will stretch your chain out, if you use the clutch method. Another detriment to the clutch method, aren't clutch wear, but clutch basket wear. The sudden force of the clutch plates against the ears of the basket can notch the basket. This will prevent you from pulling in the clutch, any time there is load on the engine. Of course, all sorts of fasteners may come loose a little faster than normal, I've noticed mirrors and other front end body fasteners in particular want to fall off. So check out em out frequently. -D-mann

Comment

geesh!!!!
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

do u have any pics of your poor kats situation after your wheelie tries ?

Comment

I say keep buying different cycles till you find the one that doesn't make you crash after trying. LOL. Honestly, i've tried and can't do it. Probally deep inside I don't really want to. Just please be safe if not for yourself there is probally someone out there that cares if you get hurt or even killed.
                Who's your dog?

Comment

Lou, just give it up. Go pick up a dirt bike at a garage sale in your area and use that for the wheelies...

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Damn...caught in the act....I had nothing to do with this......honest!!!!
                    Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

By the way Sweetness of Lou, that's one wacky webpage ya got. Love the Kitty. I'll check in on that from time to time. PEACE
                      Who's your dog?

Comment

When I was in high school (~26 yrs ago) i rode a 750 Honda that was worked over motor wise as well as gearing. Wheelies were no problem at all throttle, clutch or just fast shifting into 2nd would elevate the front end up into the air. I changed steering head bearings several times a summer as it would speed wobble at 80 + mph when the bearings would let go. Today I wouldn't even try such a feat as I like to keep my undies fresh. But I'm not going to preach to you about the merits of sky riding as I did my share of stupendous feats in my youth but if your going to master the art of up on one you better get good at wrenching. This type of riding costs a lot in time, parts, money and tickets (I bought my share of the enforcement lottery kind) . You might what to find a stretch of asphalt that doesn't fall under police jurisdiction to practice. We have a race track an hour away that for a fee and of course you must sign a waiver that will let you stunt your heart out.

Comment

For all of those who don't know me, I was kidding about the wheelie thing, I just wanted to be the first to post something of the such, we all know it would happen sooner or later. I have only dropped my bike once (Knock on wood), and that was at a 2mph turn, with Nurse Becky, I am sure some of you remember the story. There is no Squidlyness in me..... (Ha, yeah right), but wheelies are not part of why I ride. For all the noobies out there, good luck, and may the Lord have mercy on you when you crash your new Gixxer trying to be cool!!!

Cheers! :mrgreen:
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

there's squidlyness in everybody..just depends on how often it comes out and how..

Comment

I am not saying I am innocent, by any means!!! Just, wheelies are not my squidly side.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X