X

K&N Air Filter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N Air Filter

I am thinking of putting a k&n air filter on my 03 kat 600. everything on it is stock and i want to put a scorpion oval slip on exhaust and a dyno jet kit on it. does anyone have any advice on whether the air filter will help or hurt my kat? and if it will hurt it how so. thanks.
    What did the hand say to the face?... "Slap!"

I had one, the only thing i noticed was it sounded different. I took it out and put the stock one back in,then installed a Ivans jet kit (he told me to use the stock filter,and there was no gain from the k and n) It made a huge differnce,then added a advancer it made it run even better. Ivans jet kit was super easy.

Comment

I completely agree.
      Not really the best way to spend close to $100.00

Performance is in no way noticably enhanced.
      If anything, with the engine stock, it may not work as well as the OEM filter.
      It is good for One Million Miles, though!

"Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Don't spend the money on the K&N and the dynojet -- go straight for the Ivan's (I've run both on the 98+ Kats, and the Ivan's with the OEM filter wins hands-down for performance over the DynoJet with or without the K&N).
        When good just isn't good enough, we make fast faster! We specialize in sportbike carb kits.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

so you are sayin to get the slip-on and the ivans, damn the K&N right?
          What did the hand say to the face?... "Slap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Reyn
            so you are sayin to get the slip-on and the ivans, damn the K&N right?
            Get the slip on because you want the sound (not for any performance gains).
            Skip the K&N, stick to the OEM filters on the 98+ Katana models (pre-98's may realize a performance benefit from the K&N).
            Get the Ivan's jetkit and ignition advancer because you want performance gain.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

air filter? just take it out, it's worthless.......
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

sold mine on ebay for $20

Comment

CP,

Is the ignition advancer radical enough to require higher grades of fuel?

Also, do Jet Kit and the advancer "hold hands", or do they each give their own performance gain?

That is, if someone wanted to do one at a time, would each one have a noticabe effect on performance?

Also, which one should someone do first?

Okay, that about taps me out of questions for the moment.
                  When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - James Marshall Hendrix

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sixpoint
                    Is the ignition advancer radical enough to require higher grades of fuel?
                    No. Since the advancer doesn't change the actual compression ratio in the cylinder (just changes when the spark occurs compared to the piston movement), there is no call for a higher octane on a healthy engine.
                    The only exception I can fathom is an old engine with a lot of carbon or sulfated ash build-up -- since the ignition advancer causes the cylinders to run hotter (firing the plug earlier and having the combustion product stay in the cylinder longer before venting), the extra heat combined with serious build-ups could pre-ignite low octane fuel. But again, this is an exception and only applies to engines that really need to be cleaned/cleared of their excess deposits anyway.

Also, do Jet Kit and the advancer "hold hands", or do they each give their own performance gain?
                    Each provides it's own performance gain. You can install them separately with no issues.
                    The JetKit will cause the engine to produce a bit more power everywhere and have faster throttle response, because it richens up the mix.
                    The Advancer will move the torque band down the RPM curve some, making the engine produce more power sooner.

That is, if someone wanted to do one at a time, would each one have a noticabe effect on performance?
                    IMHO, yes. Your butt dyno would have to be pretty out of tune to not feel the differences (or you'd have to not be very familiar with the bike in general).

Also, which one should someone do first?
                    If you don't do both at the same time, I'd recommend the jetkit first -- it produces the bigger change and the larger benefit, IMHO.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

not to hijack a good thread but ...... i'm saving for an ignition advancer and ivan jet kit
                      i've read that an advancer will cause the bike to run hotter
                      if so, living in florida, is it an amount that can cause overheating problems during the summer time ?

thanks
                      money can't buy you happiness, it can at least buy you beer !

Comment

Originally posted by stickygreen
                        not to hijack a good thread but ...... i'm saving for an ignition advancer and ivan jet kit
                        i've read that an advancer will cause the bike to run hotter
                        if so, living in florida, is it an amount that can cause overheating problems during the summer time ?
                        I run the advancer here in Tampa, but I also use a good quality oil and have an oil temp sensor (I sell them -- see KR Members Specials - CyberPoet's Offers for details). My general experience is as follows:
                        If you do mostly county roads and highways, no problems.
                        On the other hand, if you get stuck in stop-n-go traffic (esp. traffic jams after cruising on the highway at speed), it will cause it to get to over-heat stage faster (basically 8 minutes vs. 13-14 minutes otherwise).
                        The quality of the oil plays into the effects of overheating very heavily.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks .. i think you mentioned the gauges in an earlier thread i posted
                          i'm definitely gonna be interested in ordering one before next summer rolls around. are they tough to install ?

just to add i'm using Amsoil SAE 10W-40 synthetic now, it's what my mech said to use

appreciate it
                          money can't buy you happiness, it can at least buy you beer !

Comment

Originally posted by stickygreen
                            i'm definitely gonna be interested in ordering one before next summer rolls around. are they tough to install ?
                            Difficult - no. Time consuming - a bit, because of the effort involved in getting the instrument surround off to install the gauge into it (I wouldn't recommend doing it in place on the bike, although it could be done). Figure it's a 3 to 5 hour project for most; I could probably do it in under an hour now.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X