Wind Stability

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind Stability

Hello all,

Well I took my new Kat for a 300 mile ride this weekend and I really loved it. It cornered well, comfort was excellent. I had one observation though.

I rode with an 06 R1 and 06 CBR 1000. We rode out to west texas and the wind was gusting quite a bit out there. I really felt the bike move over a lot when it gusted, 40mph + . What really got me was the cbr and r1 had no movement at all and they did ride very fast. What is lacking on the kat that is on my friends that makes them so much more stable?

I noticed the same thing on a recent trip. My friend was on a gsxr 1000 and he seemed to be alot less affected by the wind than I was. The only thing I could think of was a) It felt worse than it looked so I just didn't notice him being pushed around as much. b) He is a more expirenced rider and mabey to him it just didn't seem that bad.

Comment

I'm thinking that maybe they might be doing a better job of counter steering.

I, unfortunately watched my cousin go down this past Friday because he didn't understand the concept... he felt that just leaning into the wind would keep him from being blown off the road.
      Needless to say he'll be signed up for the MSF course, paid for by me.

I have both a 98 kat and an R1 and can't really tell a difference.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by allblackkat
        Definite possibility, I don’t have much experience when it comes to riding with heavy cross winds like we had that day. Like I said my friend is most certianly a better rider than I am.

Comment

just remember - until you get accustomed to it - just ride the center of the lane so you have lots of room in either direction - then you can play with different techniques to get used to it and not have to worry - keep ur distance from everything and just relax - worst thing is to tense up.
          97 Katana 600
          [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Originally posted by Wade-Kat600
            just remember - until you get accustomed to it - just ride the center of the lane so you have lots of room in either direction - then you can play with different techniques to get used to it and not have to worry - keep ur distance from everything and just relax - worst thing is to tense up.
            I agree big time. Counter steer, lean, knees in and relaxed hands make for a much easier ride.

Comment

The size of the Kat will make a difference over a typical super-sport bike that's 70% as long. On the other hand, the Kat's extra weight will also make it more stable on the ground (as will running the same speed as the other bikes -- the slower you go, the more the wind can knock you around). It's a kind of zen thing: the more you relax and go with it, the less a problem the wind becomes -- the more you tighten down and try to clamp on the handlebars, the more of a fight it's going to be.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I agree with Cyber. Kat is a lot bigger than any super sport. Learn to go with it.
                www.photobucket.com/albums/y152/rotary13b/

Comment

I have heard people say that stiffening the suspension a bit may help with wind buffeting.

I found that my tire pressures were a bit low and it seemed too carrect the issue a bit for me.

Comment

Originally posted by allblackkat

I, unfortunately watched my cousin go down this past Friday because he didn't understand the concept... he felt that just leaning into the wind would keep him from being blown off the road.
                    Needless to say he'll be signed up for the MSF course, paid for by me.

I have both a 98 kat and an R1 and can't really tell a difference.
                    You might wanna fix your avatar. Just put Rossi in the gravel LOL!!
                    Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

After riding in gusty situations on a new Kat 600, I about took it home and parked it. I never had that much trouble with wind on other bikes. THEN! I adjusted the front pistons to make them ride softer, and that completely solved the problem for me. I backed them off about 3 clicks each.
                        MikeG
                        Central Oregon
                        2006 Suzuki GSX600F
                        (That's a Katana for non-insurance-agent people!)

Comment

Working...
                        X