No announcement yet.
X

Break it in right or just break it in..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break it in right or just break it in..

Have talked to many people who just ignore the manufacs advisories on breaking in a new motorcycle, and just ride it hard right from the get go..either becuz they dont keep bikes very long or because they just dont care. Then those people are the ones that get their problems bikes passed along to john q rider who buys it a later date from a dealer who just got it in as a trade.

What do you do?
    The hell with it, I ride how i want, when I want
    0%
    Follow manufac. advisory on breaking it in
    0%
    Never had a brand new bike, so I couldnt tell ya
    0%

I would follow Cyber's advice if I got a new bike (and start saving for all the oil!)

Comment

straight from the dealers mouth

ride it like you want to get to somewhere quickly...but your grandmother is on the back.

BE SMOOTH

Engine braking is the BEST thing for your engine...ride in ALL RPM ranges...do not let it get too hot or ride at same speed for long times!

Comment

You can get bikes new ?
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I figure the manufacturer would know best, I follow what they suggest, definately!
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I followed manf specs for the Kat... and plan to do the same with the D6.

Man, I hope the manf specs state "must keep one wheel in the air twice daily until broken in."

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              You can get bikes new ?
              I don't think so, never heard of them.
              - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Katgirl
                I figure the manufacturer would know best, I follow what they suggest, definately!
                Ditto. I figure, if they took the time to write the break-in suggestion, there must be a reason. A little sacrifice in the beginning could save a lot of problems (and money) in the long run.

Comment

I think the most important thing is to change your oil a little sooner then the specs as its going to be those first few miles that most things rub.

Comment

you need to develope a wear pattern for all motrs cars and bikes, they talk about this all the time in school people who dont are gonna ruin the bike by 10 k if that, if you dont develope a wear pattern you will snap rods, and just screw stuff up sooo bad itsnot even funny

Comment

I took the run it redline then engine brake back down as often as possible for the first thirty or forty miles on my busa.. After that, vary throttle posistion almost constant for the first 1k. Threw it on the dyno and made 165.6 bone stock at 2600 miles. This is sposed to be a pretty decent number i guess. So after wrecking that bike, I took the same approach on my VTX. It stopped using oil at about 800 miles. Much sooner than most of them do. That is my reccomendation
                      I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane

Comment

If I ever own a new bike I would follow the manufacture's requested maintainance. I don't see myself buying a new bike in the near future..
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

never had a brand new bike
                          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Bought my current bike new, and followed the recommended break in to the T. I religiously change the oil, and do what I can to keep up with the rest of it. Some have said that if it was built correctly, you should be able to hammer on it from day one.

Comment

I couldn't tell ya...never had a new bike.

but it's a "very controversial" topic!

You got it.
                              Get on it.

www.georgiasportbike.com

Comment

Working...
                              X