X

The 2003 Katana transplant project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2003 Katana transplant project

OK as some of you know I'm working on my 2002 771 project. What others of you don't know is my roommate has a 2003 600 that we put a 98+ 750 motor in this winter. Well today was finally nice enough to get it out and thrash it a little on the interstate. This is a totally different bike now. I am amazed at the difference. The #1 thing I recommend anyone who has a late model 750 to do is change your rear sprocket to a 47 tooth like the 600. The stock 750 rear is a 45. I can't wait to finish my bike next month to see the difference a 1mm overbore with the 88/89 cams is going to make.

sounds like a real beast! how long did you it take you guys to swap out the motors on the 600 ?

how's your 771 project coming along?

Comment

It only took about 4 hours to do the swap from taking the fairings off to putting them back on.

The 771 is done and waiting to go in the frame. I'm painting the swing arm today and some misc small suspension parts. I'm going to mock up the rear end tomorrow with some extra parts I have laying around so I can get the engine in tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll have it running bu next Friday.

Comment

Re: The 2003 Katana transplant project

Originally posted by Mr. Clean
        OK as some of you know I'm working on my 2002 771 project. What others of you don't know is my roommate has a 2003 600 that we put a 98+ 750 motor in this winter. Well today was finally nice enough to get it out and thrash it a little on the interstate. This is a totally different bike now. I am amazed at the difference. The #1 thing I recommend anyone who has a late model 750 to do is change your rear sprocket to a 47 tooth like the 600. The stock 750 rear is a 45. I can't wait to finish my bike next month to see the difference a 1mm overbore with the 88/89 cams is going to make.
        Correction the rear stock sprocekt size on the pre98 750's is a 47 and not a 45. The set up is a 15/47 set up for the 750's. The 600's have a 14/45 stock set up if I remeber correctly.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Highsight2020
          Correction the rear stock sprocekt size on the pre98 750's is a 47 and not a 45. The set up is a 15/47 set up for the 750's. The 600's have a 14/45 stock set up if I remeber correctly.
          They changed it other the years. My 88 600 is 14/46 stock...
          - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Highsight2020
            there that is AGAIN

MY 750 came 15/45 stock (99)
            and Juniors 600 came 15/47 (03)

I tend to agree with this...since I saw it with my own eyes! (some people say it is a Canadian thing!

Comment

I know I have a 15/47 set up on my 2002 and my roommate's 2003 has a 15/47. I have seen a 2000 750 with a 15/45 set up. Those are the only years I can speak for 100%.

Comment

Yeah they went with different set ups it seems during odd years. I know that a 49 works great on the rear in the twisties. It sucks around town though. I have a 14/47 st up on mine right now..
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

47 on the rear is a must, IMHO, I will be getting a 50 for grunt power on a pre98 750. the 98+'s either were changed or suzuki just used what they wanted for said years. I personally think they were changed to the 47 for good reason, power.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Convo between 2 Suzuki plnat employees:

Joe: Hey sam...anymore of those 45's left?
                    Sam: No joe, we're all out...but here are some 47's.
                    Joe: Ok..give me those.
                    Sam: No, wait...they are 46's.
                    Joe: who cares...give'm to me.

That is probably how you all have different ones...hehe.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

roflmao
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Wow , what timing ! We're getting ready to try to stuff a pre 750 engine in a post 600 ! Would it be cool with you to ask for advice when we need it ?
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Sure. You shouldn't have any problems, it's all pretty straight forward.

Comment

Sure. You shouldn't have any problems, it's all pretty straight forward.
                            Thanks Mr. Clean, Its Matt and I that are planning on putting the Pre 98 750 motor in my '01 600 Frame. Just have to pull the motor out and see what exactly is wrong with it. Hopefully not much will be wrong with it and I'll be able to slap it in without spending too much money. But, if I come across any problems I'll send you and Keith PM's for sure. Thanks in advance
                            -jason

Welcome to Katriders! Click Here to Register

RIP ROB (AKA BREEZE)

Comment

Why a pre 98 750? Why not a Bandit 12 or a 98+ 750?

Comment

Working...
                              X