Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Should lane splitting be legal everywhere?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should lane splitting be legal everywhere?

In california it is, but of course in so many others, like PA, where I live, it isnt. There are arguements for it either way..some people do it all the time and its all good..others never do it and never will.

What do you think?
    Yes
    100.00%
    No
    0.00%
    Doesnt matter to me
    0.00%

I lived in Cali for many years. Lane splitting is great on the freeway during rush hour. I'm ready for legal lane splitting in boston, but I'm not sure the other drivers on the road are. I guess thats the real problem getting other drivers to accept and be aware of lane splitters.
    '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

i wouldn't do it if it was legal! didn't you see Cyberpoet's thread on Ohio drivers!?! i don't trust those idiots any farther than i can throw them.

Comment

I don't think so, why make another opportunity of a rider being harmed. I don't think cagers are ready for the responsibilty, not necessarily the riders.
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Actually I have no clue if it's legal here... although they did give suggestions about how to do it safely in my driving theory book, so I guess it is... and most riders are doing it.
          - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

i do it all the time and its great. Think of lane splitting in this respect. You dont have to sit in traiffic behind POLUTING cars and breathe that crap. Its different in a cage cause you got WINDWOS., but during the summer its hotter than hell sitting in traffic then u got the polution to deal with. The other day i got caught behind a city bus. Now most of them are natural gas now with exaust coming out of top or bus, but this one was an odler bus and had the exaust in the bumber. SHOOTING RIGHT AT ME. I could not get in between the bus and the car next to it so it sucked bad.
            " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

I've seen people do it on the highway at speed many times. I don't make a habit of it, but in rush hour when traffic is moving at 5 mph I do. The thing you have to watch for is someone looking in their mirrors to do a lane change.

Comment

I've heard that lane-splitting is not exactly illegal , but rather it's just not on the books . But no , I wouldn't want them to all of the sudden say it's ok here . I just KNOW that all the goobers would take that as an excuse to go flying bettween cars all the time saying it's their "right" .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I'd love it. Its really when you get to lights and the such where you can sneak up to the front and get ahead of everybody. (I've been known to do that now if I'm in a hurray anyway )

IF it was legal and some dork decided to open his door on you or something, sure it would suck but odds are your not going fast enough to get hurt and who doesnt like someone elses insurance buying you a new bike =D

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    I've heard that lane-splitting is not exactly illegal , but rather it's just not on the books . But no , I wouldn't want them to all of the sudden say it's ok here . I just KNOW that all the goobers would take that as an excuse to go flying bettween cars all the time saying it's their "right" .
                    Actually in california it is legal. The dmv calls it lane sharing. There are limitations though. First a motorcycle can lane share with a car, while lane sharing neither vehical can travel 5mph faster than the other. And neither can exceed the speed limit.

So if the freeway is at a dead stop a motorcycle can only legally travel at 5 mph, but in my experience most riders are going 25-30mph. I've done it at over 60mph but I was younger and much stupider.

The craziest lane splitters have got to be the CHP, but I guess 'cause they're cops they're highly visible.
                    '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

I've never riden where it was legal, so I've never had to opportunity to even try it. Even if it was made legal here, I probably still wouldn't do it. There's enough crazies in cars on their cell phones, eating/drinking, and those that are just plain ignorant to see me already, I really don't want to increase my odds of an incident by sneaking up on them when they aren't expecting it in stand-still traffic (especially if they have never had to worry about it before). I also wouldn't want to be in the path of any of their drinks, cigarette's, spit, ect. that is constantly ejected out their windows at stop lights and stand-still traffic!

Comment

I must admit its kind of exhilarting to do it...its dangerous, so that in itself is somewhat intruiging to the human nature. However, im not sure I'd rather do it in slower city traffic, for fear of the tards that are mad becuz u are passing them and do something stupid. IF, Im gonna do it, I'd prefer to do it out on the highway, where I know I can zip thru b/4 they know what happened and give them time to react and do something stupid. Kind of a weird way to look at it I guess.

Comment

+1 with KatDan for Ohio, here in Phoenix it is legal under 35 miles per hour. I don't think I would unless traffic is at a dead stop. The majority of cagers hate us already that would just give them another reason to take one of us out. .02
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by floxera
                            I lived in Cali for many years. Lane splitting is great on the freeway during rush hour. I'm ready for legal lane splitting in boston, but I'm not sure the other drivers on the road are. I guess thats the real problem getting other drivers to accept and be aware of lane splitters.
                            EXACTLY. A New England cager is not gonna sit there and allow a motorcycle to pass, while they are sitting in traffic. I can see all the cars now, all turned diagonal in their lanes to stop the bikes from going through
                            Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

i'll do it when the traffic is at a dead stop. but i don't like to. i usually go in the middle of the pack that do it so i either don't get hit first or don't get pulled over first. but rarely do it. my buddy on the other hand will do it on the freeway just to be dumb. i don't understand.
                              if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Working...
                              X