Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Why never to lube your chain with the engine running...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why never to lube your chain with the engine running...

NOT NECESSARILY WORK SAFE. RATHER GRAPHIC (post trauma emergency room pics of mangled fingers).

http://www.cbr600f4.com/secondary_pages/seajay.html

=-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

I knew a guy that did that a few years ago. He wasn't nearly as lucky as this guy. It took 3 fingers off above the second knuckle. They sewed them back on but they are pretty much just for show now.

Some things have a procedure for a reason!
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Wow, all I can say is thank goodness for the center stand and common sense !!

yeah, definately not pre or post breakfast safe !!

Comment

I bet he asks himself why?

"Why did I not use the bike stand and just spin the wheel"
        Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Ouch!
          Common sense is great, it's just not all that common.

Comment

I use the rear stand and run the motor all the time when I lube the chain. I don't understand why the hell someone would NEED to get their fingers that close.
            Ron
            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Okay, that is just plain idiotic!

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
                use the rear stand and run the motor all the time when I lube the chain. I don't understand why the hell someone would NEED to get their fingers that close.
                I have worked in a machine shop for 17 years, and I have seen a few stupid mistakes that caused injury. NEED is not what caused it most of the time. PANIC is. The injuries seemed to come from two common mistakes. Not paying attention, and panicking. When I say panic...I mean as in a rag getting caught in a machine for example. I have seen a few noobies get their knuckles rapped cuz they are afraid to break something when a rag gets caught and they try to grab it. You try to tell them that is what the big red PANIC button is for....but they just don't think of it.

If you trust yourself to do it that way meanstrk, then all the power to you. I am not saying I would never do it, but I just don't because when I am lubing my chain I use the opportunity to check a few other things at the same time...so the engine is always off.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Ouch. I guess he wont be doing that again.

A good rule of thumb (boo!!!) is not to have your hands in a position where they could get that close, just a good reminder that not everyone is smart enough to keep all their fingers.

Comment

I remember seeing those a while back, and thinking to myself

Why?

Did he think he would get a more even lube with it running?????

That has to hurt something feirce.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

A friend of mine in our machine shop blew the first finger joints out of his index and second fingers while polishing an o-ring groove on a lathe. They got hit by the chuch jaws and the cartlidge ended up in the chip pan. Seeing the glossy 8x10s a while later (looked just like "stumpie's"), I asked him "Did that hurt much?" (thinking he'd gone into shock and didn't feel much...), he said "Hurt like HELL all the time!!!". Hmmm. So much for mental pain managment
                      My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Looks like a guy I went to school with that was working on the table saw and tried to remove a scrap piece of wood from the saw while it was still running. The most excitement that school ever had. The teacher was running down the hall yelling "move, move, I have the fingers!!"
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Question

I don't understand how he got his fingers close to the chain. I use a areosol can and spray. I do it with the engine of but just after I ride so the chain and that are hot. And i turn the tire by hand. But still why was his hand in there.

Comment

probably trying to wipe the extra off the sprocket.
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I use the center stand and run the engine when i clean and lube my chain too. But i use an old toothbruch diped in kerosene.

Comment

Working...
                              X