No announcement yet.
X

Need katana help for friend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if he has $0 Dollars in it, then it may make for a good project. If the frame is good, then hell yeah. If you are going to replace the front forks, go with gixxer forks, makes for a meaner machine from what I have heard. Farings, go some used ones off ebay, and repaint them, along with the headlight assembly and everything. I bet he could get it back together in pretty good shape for about $1500 bucks, depending on how much of the work he can do himself.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I think everyone is guiding you in the right direction. I would completely tear down the meft over parts and have the frame inspected by a shop, umm, I think the word is magnaflow the frame. Shoot for a free bike, the least he could do is part it out and have enough money to put a down payment on a good bike.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
        the least he could do is part it out and have enough money to put a down payment on a good bike.
        Tru Dat
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Yeah...and I am first in line for Special K's forks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Wilson
            Hiya Pat! How's that Tillis doin??
            What this one?

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
              Well, if he has $0 Dollars in it, then it may make for a good project. If the frame is good, then hell yeah. If you are going to replace the front forks, go with gixxer forks, makes for a meaner machine from what I have heard. Farings, go some used ones off ebay, and repaint them, along with the headlight assembly and everything. I bet he could get it back together in pretty good shape for about $1500 bucks, depending on how much of the work he can do himself.
              You know..... I've got a set of RGV USD forks here.........

Comment

Dizamn..that beast gives me chills everytime I see it!

Comment

Hey , I got one of them Tillis' , too ! Same color and everything . Except I can't ride mine cause it's only 3 inches tall .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                    Yeah...and I am first in line for Special K's forks!
                    for your Triumph????????????
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

If nothing's been put into it and he got it for free, I'd definately take it in as a project bike... a long project bike to work on overtime. But that's just me, I've always been interested in picking up a cheap project bike to fix up. In the mean time I'd get a second inexpensive bike to fufill my riding needs.

BTW, beautiful Tillis!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                        ...have the frame inspected by a shop, umm, I think the word is magnaflow the frame.
                        It's Magnaflux and Magnaglo (www.magnaflux.com). You coat the frame with it to see imperfections, cracks and other damages that would be hidden under the powdercoat. If the use of either of those frame inspection systems indicates serious damages, part out the bike's good parts for $$ and get a different bike. I'd recommend starting with an used Ninja 500 for a beginner -- cheap, easy to find, will hold it's value if he doesn't total it. Look for one under $1500 in good shape.

On a different note, Suzuki made a GSX750 in some markets (not a GSX750F nor GSX750R, just GSX750 with no following letter) that is basically a naked version of the Kat. You might want to investigate that if you want something unique (at least unique in the USA) and don't want to buy full fairings and do a complete rebuild. Renntec makes engine protection bars for that (unfaired) bike. Here's a picture of the 1998 model:

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I was close and it is still the same process. LOL
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          Who knows what is next?

Comment

patracy:

I think the engein case looks busted by the timing cover (Front RIGHT). If that's the case, she's shot unless you know someone that is a true ARTIST with a mini-heliarc gun!

I have spare engines though for that bike, and they are pretty reasonable.

I don't have forks, actually looking for a couple of sets for me and Range......

I probably have all the rest or at leat 90% of what he'll need..........I can make up a list for him but it would be best to have him contact me......

I'll make him a package deal.

Where's he located?
                            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Court93Kat
                              BTW... did anyone else notice the front fender is mounted backwards? Just something that caught my eye.

It's NOT..........that's the way they are on the 98+ Kats.........the narrow part goes in the back, like in the first pic.

Comment

Tough to tell from the pics,but I'd guess the frame is fine. I'd inspect the welds around the front yoke to see if you can spot cracks in the paint......a telltale sign of stressed welds on these bikes, which woudl indicate bent main stem, or trashed frame!

I'd strip it down to the bare frame and engine, and redo everything. That's what I do! Takes about 2-4 hours to remove everything, and about 10-20 to put it all back on including cleaning time and such. Helps to have all the parts there when you start, and of course to know where everything goes

My best time to date: 2 hours to strip, 8 to totally rebuild, includign body. Only took 2 weeks off & pn to plan and layout 8)

ALTERNATIVE IDEA # 3:
                                If he's got a title, sell it to me & I'll sell him a completed one!

Comment

Working...
                                X