Need katana help for friend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need katana help for friend

Hello,

I started out on a bandit 600 a few years back. So I have a good idea of what makes the katana tick. I've got a co-worker that wants to get into riding. He was just given a 2000 Katana 600 that needs a lot of stuff. Anyone have parts for one? From the pics he sent me. He needs all the fairings, headlight, gauges, controls, timing cover, and possibly a harness. Here's what he's working with....

they're big.....

Originally posted by patracy
    Hello,

I started out on a bandit 600 a few years back. So I have a good idea of what makes the katana tick. I've got a co-worker that wants to get into riding. He was just given a 2000 Katana 600 that needs a lot of stuff. Anyone have parts for one? From the pics he sent me. He needs all the fairings, headlight, gauges, controls, timing cover, and possibly a harness. Here's what he's working with....

they're big.....

http://superbike.dyndns.org/superbike/112_1246.JPG
    Check with Special K, he can probably help out with some. Otherwise it might be a nice streetfighter project!

Are the frame and the wheels OK? Seems it hit something pretty hard in the front...
    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

ouch, what happened to it?
      Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Special K can probably help with some of that. I'm not sure about the fairings, maybe check ebay for those. Are the forks okay? I'd also have the frame checked real well, you don't want to take a chance with a bent frame, or a frame with stress cracks. Good luck.

Comment

It looks like you need to replace the entire front end . Those forks look bent and I would be concerned about the frame too. Check with special$k$ and see what he thinks
          Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Just a thought to put out there. The bike has upper frame damage. Looks just like it slid on it but I am willing to bet that it will not be insurable b/c of this. I guess if you can gt all the plastics back on and to line up right you can hide that. The other thing is was this bike totaled out? I bet it was and he will have to get a salavged title for it as well. I would get another frame and take everything that I could off this bike and put it in the new frame. Good luck helping your co-worker out.
            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

bent frames and bent forks ?? Yikes !! Between special K, & ebay, you could cosmetically fix it up nicely... But it would take a considerable amount of money to make it Safely rideable again.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                bent frames and bent forks ?? Yikes !! Between special K, & ebay, you could cosmetically fix it up nicely... But it would take a considerable amount of money to make it Safely rideable again.
                which makes me think, its probably a better idea to just buy a used bike that isnt totalled
                Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I agree 100% with what everyone else has already said. As long as the frame is good, and your friend is just learning how to ride, he might be better off making it a streetfighter until he gets good. I know it would be cheaper to leave it naked.

BTW... did anyone else notice the front fender is mounted backwards? Just something that caught my eye.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                  who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Re: Need katana help for friend

Originally posted by patracy
                    Hello,

they're big.....

http://superbike.dyndns.org/superbike/112_1246.JPG
                    is there a second post coming? :-m

Comment

Originally posted by Court93Kat
                      I agree 100% with what everyone else has already said. As long as the frame is good, and your friend is just learning how to ride, he might be better off making it a streetfighter until he gets good. I know it would be cheaper to leave it naked.

BTW... did anyone else notice the front fender is mounted backwards? Just something that caught my eye.
                      Yeah, there were something funny about that picture. Now I realize it too!
                      - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

If it was given to me, I think I would just part it out and buy one that needed less work. By the time he's done he would have spent almost enough to buy one that is ready to ride. 8)

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

It was given to him. It still has a clean title. He has $0 in it. That why I thought it'd be best to try and fix.....

Comment

Like Katdan mentioned..it almost be better to just get a different one..

Unless he's got the resources and is REALLY looking for a project bike...

Comment

Hiya Pat! How's that Tillis doin??

Comment

Working...
                              X