X

Upgrade of the Day... Fuseblock & bracket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade of the Day... Fuseblock & bracket

First, a huge thanks out to Neoublie who took my blue-prints and quickly fab'd up a bracket to spec for me.

I bought a fuse-block and relay set-up a while back and kept meaning to install it, but was having issues on where to place it so as not to lose any underseat storage bin space (those who know me, know I travel with enough tools to get me out of virtually any situation). I pondered a while and decided the obvious place was over the battery, parallel to the existing fuse bracket. So I created the idea, documented it and got Neoublie to build it (fast turn-around), then finished it upon arrival and installed the set-up.

New set-up:
    Relay slaved to the battery, the battery charger, and the fuse-block. Uses a sense wire (not yet connected, will connect to the california fan plug) to switch off the battery charger and shut all the accessories off until after the engine starts.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

what are all the fuses for?

Comment

I'm feeling a little slow, but I think what CP does is run his accessories off of this added setup so that there is no chance of battery drain while the bike is off.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i understand that..... but i see he has 6 fuses..

Comment

6 accessories...
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

There are six fuses -- but not all are in use yet.
            When it's done, it will be:
            1 - Oil temp gauge
            1 - Voltage gauge
            1 - Chain luber

The other three are for future use; I expect to use one or two more for some other stuff.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

BLENDER!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i am just to worryed about over doing all the extras i would like to add some driving lights... and i have some neons and leds already

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
                  i am just to worryed about over doing all the extras i would like to add some driving lights... and i have some neons and leds already
                  You should be able to drive an additional 70 watts total without any serious issue -- but pushing an additional 130 or more (for all your accessories) would be putting you close to the borderline for discharging under normal circumstances.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

so i cant do a set of 55watt driving lights as that would be 110 watts right? i would need to something like 35watts

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
                      so i cant do a set of 55watt driving lights as that would be 110 watts right? i would need to something like 35watts
                      A pair of addition 55 watts lights is pushing it -- but using a single 55 watt under the nose, or a pair of 35 watt units should be fine. Since each bike has some variance, you can always check your electrical system with a 110 watt added load and see what is happening -- in general, you want to be in a positive charging state at all RPM's without the extra load and at least above 4k RPM with the extra load.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by KatDan
                        BLENDER!!!!!!!!!!
                        BWAAAAHAHAHAHA !
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                          Originally posted by KatDan
                          BLENDER!!!!!!!!!!
                          BWAAAAHAHAHAHA !
                          You guys...
                          I never saw that design-look-aspect until some pervert pointed it out...
                          Some people travel with coffee pots -- I prefer my iced frappe's on the road.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I did something similar but using a Blue Sea Fuse Block I bought at West Marine. It's also a 6 circuit and I'm already up to 7. I have one dubble up. I'm ready for their 12 circuit block. That should be plenty.

Last edited by squiggy; 11-08-2008, 10:19 PM.
                            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                              A pair of addition 55 watts lights is pushing it -- but using a single 55 watt under the nose, or a pair of 35 watt units should be fine. Since each bike has some variance, you can always check your electrical system with a 110 watt added load and see what is happening -- in general, you want to be in a positive charging state at all RPM's without the extra load and at least above 4k RPM with the extra load.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              I've run my high beams and my PIAA 1400 (2x55W) and my Hot Grips and sometimes my Gerbing jacket with no ill affect to the charging system.

I don't run an volt meter on the bike, so I can't say what charging state it is in when all of those conditions apply. I am considering one of those digital ones, though. It's usually in the winter time when I run all of those at the same time. But I can say I have never been unable to start the Kat or been stranded because of a dead battery.

That's my un-scientific opinion. FWIW.
                              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
                              X