X

Aggressive Driver Situation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressive Driver Situation

Ran into an odd situation last night while riding and wanted to see what others would do...

I'm riding a divided access-controlled highway (not interstate) through the plains (middle of nowhere--no houses, nothin'). Speed limit it 65, dry roads, good visibility, very little traffic. I'm doing about 72 mph cruising in the right lane. I come up on a Ford Explorer doing about 60 in the right lane. While he's still a ways off I pull into the left lane as I can see he's going pretty slow. He's weaving very slightly (staying in his lane), but enough to make me wary. When I get closer, I slow down a bit, time his weave, then accelerate briskly by him to stay out of his way. I don't blow by him, but I probably went from just over 60 to 70 when I past him.

He immediately speeds up and pulls next to me. I put on a bit more speed and he matches. Then I slow down to about 65 and he slows down to. I haven't made eye contact this entire time.

Question is, what do you do now? Put on the blazing speed? Flip him the finger? Brake hard? Ignore him and keep riding?
    Accelerate
    100.00%
    Ignore him / keep riding
    0.00%
    Slow down
    0.00%
    Stop
    0.00%
    "Sign language"
    0.00%

each situation is different and probably any one of those ideas (save for flipping the finger) would be ok. personally, i would have accelerated away. if you got stopped by a police officer for blowing past him, you may be able to argue your way out if you explain what happened. if not, then you get a ticket, but you're still alive. i'd rather get a ticket for speeding past a semi than having him not see me and possibly come into my lane. if one thing doesn't work, try another. but try to get away from that type of situation.

Long Live the D

Comment

It's hard to tell in a situation like that becuase you never know what he's thinking. The driver could be drunk, have a bad case of road rage, or maybe just wants to "play". Either way I'd have done the same thing initially by going by him a bit faster speeds just incase he starts weaving back and forth on the road more. If you're gonna pass somebody, no matter when it is, get on the throttle and pass em and get it over with. No sense wasting time as you dont want to give them any chance to try and merge without seeing you.

In that case when he sped up I'd have probably sped up alittle faster too, and then I'd have looked over to see if I could get an idea of what he's up too. At that point you either decide to blow past him and forget it, or drop back and wait for him to turn off somewhere. If you continue to speed up and he does too, then you're in a potential situation you may not want to be because your getting faster and faster, you're out in the country where probably alot of animals can cross at anytime, and he may try something stupid if he gets close to you.

That being said,Ive done both in the past..Ive slowed down and let them stay in front so I could keep an eye on them safely from a distance,and I've also just grabbed a handful of throttle and left em in the dust.

Comment

as Paradoxmd said, each situation is different.
        I prolly would have sped away. I want as much distance between an asshat like that as I possibly can get.
        I love my Kat!!
        2000 burgandy 750

Comment

I would've slowed down, let him have the feeling of having won. Then gone back far enough for him to relax, and eventually blown past him. No sense in asking for a head on challenge with someone who's being stupid.
          Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Accelerating would be the wrong choice in my opinion. Say you get up to 100mph with the guys still behind you. What then? Try to avoid speeding up. I would think in most cases if you ignore them they will get tired and go away. If you confront him (Finger) you will piss him off and things could elevate into some serious road rage.

Motorcycle + Automobile= Very bad things.

Comment

Well it depends on what type of driver was driving if i would have blown past him or not. My opinion is was he was drunk. I would have made eye contact with him then seen what he looked like if he was young and looked wild just stay back and let him take it. If he was older i would have blown past him for a couple of miles and i think he would have gave up.
              06 KAT 600

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous

Comment

I would have made eye contact, access his personality (as far as driving). Then hit the accelerator. If he continues tol accelerate as I do, then I would slow down to the point that I am behind him and let the nut have the road. Your life is not worth a defeat with some fruity cager.
                "Knowledge comes from finding the answers, yes, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom. Men who didn’t understand the difference have been the ruin of some of the world’s greatest civilizations." - Lionel Luthor

Comment

I would of kicked it up to somewhere around 80-85 and if he would of matched that, then I would have probably administered appropiate sign language followed by brisk acceleration.
                  05 GSX-600
                  89 zx750r
                  04 Honda TRX-450

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxmd
                    i'd rather get a ticket for speeding past a semi than having him not see me and possibly come into my lane. if one thing doesn't work, try another. but try to get away from that type of situation.
                    BINGO.

I see WAAAAAAAAY too many people doddling along when they pass people on the interstate. Both cages AND bikes. It's insane the amount of people that will sit in the blind spot of a semi for minutes on end.

Possibly the guy was a fellow rider and just checking out your bike. But, ya never know.

Accelerate. The guy is driving an EXPLORER.

Comment

I probably would have at least looked over to see if his expression was one of aggression. He may have been smiling and just having a look. Doesn't sound like it's out of the realm of possibility on a road such as what you describe. Hell, you may have just wakened him and he was just resuming speed.

If it is aggression on his face, get him in front of you ASAP. You don't want a nut on your six. If it wasn't, just wave and drive on. Obviously, intuition isn't something you can get a feel of over the net. You were the one with the vibes on the situation. We're relegated to armchair quarterbacking. Trust your gut, it's almost always right.

Comment

i would have taken off till i couldnt see him in my mirrors

Comment

The "correct" answer is to back off, slow down and keep this guy (possibly drunk or whatever) in front of you where you can see them and keep an eye on what they're doing. But I also would've probably just hammered the throttle, especially if the road conditions were as ideal as you say and made him disappear. I don't really consider that a "wrong" answer, just not the technically correct one.
                          ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                          Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

Two words: EYE CONTACT! You know NOTHING until you at least look at the guy- my first thought was he might have been checking out your bike. Maybe he knew and recoginzed you, wanted to say hi. By ignoring him personally, and focusing on his vehicle, you passed on the opportunity to know him, albiet on a casual level.

When I am being a nice guy (most, but admittly not all, the time) I try to establish eye contact, even if I have a smoke shield or sun glasses on. I am often suprised how often it seems to defuse what could have become a volatile situation. Then a quick nod to the other guy and a rush of acceleration, and the whole situation is over.
                            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

i definately would have stared him down. next i might've flipped him the bird, and then slowed down, taken next exit/ramp or turn off. if there wasn't one, and he kept slowing down to match my speed i'd have to burn him. as long as you tell the police officer if you get pulled over you tried to slow down and let him go and he kept slowing down and matching my speed, and you felt endangered there isn't much else you can do. right?

Comment

Working...
                              X