X

2 minutes on my first bike and

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 minutes on my first bike and

I almost got runover by an SUV in the Home depot parking lot.

I saw the lady in her SUV do a quick glance check before she turned left on
    a rolling stop, and right into my path.

It was all slow rolling and I saw it from the start. Easy detect.

I had been on my first the bike all of 2 minutes and I almost get run over

Jay Johnson

Unfortunately, this is what you can expect from now on. Good luck!
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Two tips:

Look at the drivers face (to look for eye contact)
      Look at the front wheels (too look for movement)

And
      Add a freeway blaster horn..
      Or two..

Comment

you did good. like kat-a-tonic said you will be there many time. when you come to stops, cross road or turns slow down. they could be looking at you and they still wont see you. when i do i flash my lites. glad you used your head and still on two wheels

Comment

that always happens to ne riders to make them aware. follw the tips given above and you will be fine.
          Bob

Pre 98's Rock!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&id=1593731870

http://www.myspace.com/bobbyma

Comment

i try to really watch the front wheels they can tell you alot. the drive might be looking one way, the wheels pointing the other slowly rolling. you know something is about to happen lol.
            03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by letsride
              you did good. like kat-a-tonic said you will be there many time. when you come to stops, cross road or turns slow down. they could be looking at you and they still wont see you. when i do i flash my lites. glad you used your head and still on two wheels
              I wouldn't flash your lights. Too many people take that as a sign it's ok to go ahead. I wouldn't want to risk them pulling out and me thinking they see me and are waiting. Normally, what I do is swing back and forth in the lane. The human eyes pick up movement exceptionally well. A straight line doesn't register as well as something moving side to side. It's saved me a few times already.
              Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
              -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
              -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie
                i try to really watch the front wheels they can tell you alot. the drive might be looking one way, the wheels pointing the other slowly rolling. you know something is about to happen lol.
                Exactly!!!
                Also the movement is more noticable..

Another tip?
                Watch the passenger..
                Where they point the car sometimes goes..

Comment

First one is out of the way. Only 10 million more times to go!!!LOL!!

Comment

yeah, watch out for that shit dude, I almost got hit today by an suv backing out of his driveway. I had to swirve around him, he NEVER saw me.
                    You shut your mouth when your talking to me!!

Spread the word!! www.bikerfriend.org

Comment

Yeah, provided you continue to ride you'll experience this again and again until it doesn't phase you anymore. You'll be more surprised when it doesn't happen.

Personally, I find parking lots to be the most hazardous places for MC riders. People are on the phone, looking for stores, looking for spots, looking for exits - looking for everything except motorcycles! Down here it's even worse because all the parking lots have these fancy hedges separating the parking rows that no one can see around until half their car is in the roadway . I find cranking the D&D while working the clutch to be an attention getter. I really should install a louder horn though. Gotta get my oil changed soon so maybe I'll see what the shop has in stock...
                      ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Why would you be riding in the Home Depot parking lot on Father's day weekend? Your just asking for trouble practicing there.

Comment

I'm a strong advocate for using the horn - ALL the time... I will hit the horn anytime I think someone is potentially unaware of me... usually just a couple of honks to make sure.

Ride like everyone is blind and out to get you!
                          Mr. Nice Guy
                          '04 Katana 750
                          Ride safe, live long!

Comment

I am a strong advocate of using the horn, then when they look, using the finger.
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

It's best to go ahead and assume everyone will be like your SUV driver there. Hang in there!

Comment

Working...
                              X