X

Best ways to remove katana and suzuki stickes/emblems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best ways to remove katana and suzuki stickes/emblems

Just wondering the best way to remove the suzuki sticker above the running lights and the crome katana emblem. Also if i remove the katana emblem are there any holes holding it on that i will have to get filled or is it just held on by adhesive? bike is a 99

dude....you want to be removing an emblem that many on here have to order over-seas? stick them in the "for sale" section and you will get enough to buy some filler for the holes (if there is any, which I don't think there is).
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

oops....not sure you are a dude. I just noticed your name. If you are female, my apologies. if you are a dude, wtf is up with that? I would find it more disturbing than "sexwax" or iwanndie".

Comment

one im a chick and two...i just want to clean my bike up so i need to find out ways to get rid of the stickers and emblems without messing it up!

Comment

heat the glue on them up with a cheap-o hair dryer.

the sticker type ones will just peel off once heated up.

i used a plastic scraper on my raised katana emblems once they were heated up and they came off fine too.

once you get them off you can remove the glue residue using Goo Gone and rags.

don't mess w/ the "suzuki" on the tank... it is under the clearcoat.
          I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
          http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

I was trying to get some of the "safety Stickers" off of my bike. I got it new a couple of weeks ago. Of course I tried the one on the top of the tank first. I tried getting under one corner and peeling it off but it seemed brittle and was crumbly. My attempts to use a razor knife went horribly wrong and I found myself cutting into the clear coat.

I eventually got it off, and removed the glue residue with lighter fluid. I used rubbing compound to diminish the gouges and the whle thing turned out well in the end.

I've got 4 more to take off but, my 43 year old heart can't take it.

Blow dryer you say?

Should I give it a go, or take it to a body shop. I really can't take the stress.
            "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

I've heard that you can soak a rag with goo gone or goof off and place it over the sticker to be removed. Leave for a while, and the adhesive should start to loosen up.

Gas or lighter fluid may eat the paint if you leave it on too long, or don't get it all off.

That said, I debadged my truck last week using a heat gun, and one of those plastic putty knives that came froma hole repair kit.

The stickers we just hit with a little heat and they came right off.

I havn't been able to get the warning lables off the bandito yet.... Every attempt has been in vain, and I'm a little concerned with using the heat gun on the gas tank!
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

what about the katana emblem? is it adhesive behind there or are there holes keeping it on?

Comment

Originally posted by BobKat2002
                  I was trying to get some of the "safety Stickers" off of my bike. I got it new a couple of weeks ago. Of course I tried the one on the top of the tank first. I tried getting under one corner and peeling it off but it seemed brittle and was crumbly. My attempts to use a razor knife went horribly wrong and I found myself cutting into the clear coat.

I eventually got it off, and removed the glue residue with lighter fluid. I used rubbing compound to diminish the gouges and the whle thing turned out well in the end.

I've got 4 more to take off but, my 43 year old heart can't take it.

Blow dryer you say?

Should I give it a go, or take it to a body shop. I really can't take the stress.
                  Sorry to hear about you scratching up your tank. If you are unsure of what to do when it comes to your Kat, come on-line and ask the experts here. That`s what I do before I act. I picked up an 06 Kat 750, removed all the stickers except for the 3D S on the tank and the metalic SUZUKI above the third eye up front.
                  Never use a harder material object than the paint surface to avoid damage. Slowly heat with a hairdryer, peel and scrape with a PLASTIC scraper, and remove glue residue with Sticker and Label Remover (Canadian Tire) and a clean rag. Not sure if we have Goo Gone in Canada, and I see you`re from the East coast.

www.3dflag.com

Comment

Originally posted by PussyKat
                    what about the katana emblem? is it adhesive behind there or are there holes keeping it on?
                    it's just adhesive... comes right off with a little (well... alot) of elbo grease. the main trick with all of them is getting the adhesive heated up enough that it all comes off in one "swoop" instead of picking away relentlessly one little chunk at a time.
                    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Oh my... my fingers and skin tingle just with the thought of your project to come.

I pulled off my emblems and stickers in a day and it was very frustrating, time consuming, and hurt-ing. I had a 1999 750 and I did really like the look afterwards, though.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The Katana emblem on the front fairing is only stuck on by glue, there are no holes. It has that puffy/foam kind of adhesive so you can actually just work your finger in there and pull it off. I rode the bike around for about 25 minutes to help warm it up then just tore it off. It breaks and leaves behind a lot of the foam, so you wont be able to reuse or sell them. Afterwards, you can roll off the foam with your thumb, fingers, and palm. Once all the foam is off you can get the rest of the sticky residue off with a rag and a bottle of goo-gone.

By now, your fingertips will hurt (possibly have a cut from the fractured plastic Katana emblem), your thumbs/palm will have no skin on them, and your hands will stink of orange peels from the goo gone.

The 750 on the tail is even tougher, if you can believe it. Since it is a metallic looking sticker, instead of just pulling right off, it constantly breaks and frays while you work on it. I ended up setting a stool next to it with a hair dryer pointed at it and would let it sit there for about 30 minutes, then i would move the dryer, put some goo-gone on it, and then go to town on it with a plactic sticker remover (it came with the goo-gone). I would get some of it off, but then it would cool and become impossible, so i would set the dryer back up rinse and repeat.

After this one your arms will be tired from scrapnig the hell out of your fairing with the plastic piece.

Like someone else said, dont even bother with the Suzuki on the tank, as it is under the clearcoat.

Goodluck and when you are done, wax it up to look nice and pretty!

Comment

Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh OH

If you dont want your chrome Katana emblem I will be MORE than happy to take them off your hands. Let me know

Comment

Originally posted by Najus
                          Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh OH

If you dont want your chrome Katana emblem I will be MORE than happy to take them off your hands. Let me know
                          They wont survive.

Comment

It is not a hard job, just take your time. heat the stickers with a hair dryer, start peeling starting on an edge and very slowly pull on the sticker, keep using the hair dryer. Your hands will get hot but the stickers will remove easier. soak a cloth in Goo Gone and lay the cloth over the sticky substance for a few minutes, then start the rub it off. I did my bike in an hour, in that time i removed all the stickers (warning, dealer, and chrome). It gives is a nice clean look, i did my car,bike, and snowmobile.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip
                              Originally posted by Najus
                              Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh OH

They wont survive.
                              I call bs. For sure they will survive if you do it right. I have removed countless badges from cars over the years while working with my dad. They are held on with 2 sided moulding tape. The way to remove them is with a METAL scraper with alot of finess. The trick is not to try to remove the emblem AND tape from the bike, but to remove the emblem from the tape first. A 3.5 to 4 inch long, thin blade scraper....or what I call a putty knife is the best thing. You want a solid, yet somewhat flixible metal blade about an inch or an inch and a half wide.
                              just work it under the edge of the emblem and rock it back and forth from left to right. Start at one end, then go from the other end....then the sides....just take you time and they will come off without braking. All my badges on my volvo are plastic, and I managed ok. The dirty work comes after....getting the tape off.

Comment

Working...
                              X