X

another DUMP TRUCK story

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another DUMP TRUCK story

Had a little "road trip" on the bike...went to Sudbury on Tuesday (about 300 miles away)

Great road...hot weather...everything is perfect!

UNTIL

coming into North Bay on #17 (Trans-Canada Highway) which is a two lane Highway with several passing stretches where there is an extra lane for about a mile in some cases, well...I am behind a Dump Truck....he pulls out to pass a slower vehicle, but he STAYS in the passing lane (mind you, he is going a a fair clip) I am contented to remain behind him...and I am back an acceptable amount of space, when I start to contemplate moving over to the right hand lane for visability sake.

NO SOONER THEN I HAVE THIS THOUGHT:

then............

BOOM!

one of his tires explodes and come out the back of the truck about 5' in the air! It hits the pavement, and doesn't bounce...I narrowly glide through the mess (I had to swerve into the other lane...thank god I had just checked to see that it was clear).

all was well with me...except a little "puckerage".

This is why you should NEVER follow closely behind vehicles...especially large transports, and when passing them...do it with haste...never stay beside them if it is not necesary.

whew glad to hear the Gator didn't get you..especially flying off the truck that can really hurt and cause some damage.

As a truck driver I can personally say don't follow too close....although trucks are required to have mud flaps to limit stones and other debris being tossed back to other motorists, dump trucks especially stone haulers always seem to kick up alot fo stuff and I know I don't lkike to have my Baby all chipped cuz of following too closly to a truck.

Comment

Damn! Yeah, stay away from those things Range. I'd hate to see you wreck your Vulcan.

Comment

glad you okay

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Ive been behind trucks when their retreads came off while I was in my car, but never a blown tire while following on a bike. Those things come flying out like a shot just like Range mentioned

Way to stay on your toes Range, glad your ok man! Im telling ya these dump trucks are out to get us or something

Comment

Glad to read your okay.
            Bike is sold

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
              Ive been behind trucks when their retreads came off while I was in my car, but never a blown tire while following on a bike. Those things come flying out like a shot just like Range mentioned

Way to stay on your toes Range, glad your ok man! Im telling ya these dump trucks are out to get us or something
              I told Range the same thing I told you Wildkat...

You are riding a motorcycle.....PASS THE FRIGGIN DUMP TRUCK!

You guys are getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                Says the guys whose hair has almost all fallen out .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I'll remember this advice when I'm out on the highway. Thanks Range.
                  "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    Originally posted by Junior
                    Says the guys whose hair has almost all fallen out .
                    Sure I'm bald....but I'm still younger.

Comment

Good job.

I'm glad to be able to read it... from you.

Nick
                      My Karma ran over my Dogma.

Comment

Good to hear you didn't go down, Or get hit with any crap.

Comment

When are they gonna outlaw retreads?
                          I seem to see those things blow off of trucks all the time and I spend as little time behind or beside them as possible.

Comment

Gotta love road gators.

It is good to hear that you made it through without any harm.

Comment

way to stay alert, Dave. Glad you didn't end up in a really bad situation.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X