X

How do I wheelie?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I wheelie?

Yup....the "do not ask how" question. But I have to be a bit honest.....we might as well start allowing it and explaining it.....seeing as we seem to be ok with the speed question. There are several posts on "how fast have you gone"....with quite a few of us admitting to 120mph+ speeds...myself included.
    Now which do you think is more dangerous.....dumping your bike while doing a 30mph wheelie, or wiping out at 120mph? Which do you think will bring the most negative response from non-bikers? doing a small wheelie at take-off....or flying by a car on the hwy, and doing it at twice the speed he is travelling?

So, I sort of think it is hypocritical to all share in the "I have gone this freakin' fast and loved it" posts, but making it sound taboo and squidly to discuss doing wheelies. Personally, I would like to be able to master the technique. I can go fast....I can lean....I can even drag a knee if needed....but I can wheelie for shit.

So I nominate that we don't make the wheelie topic so taboo anymore. It is just pure hypocritical to try to brake the sound barrier on your bike, but look at someone who raises the front wheel off the ground as a squid.
    It is time for a change of policy....and when I finally get my beast on the road and a slight twist of the throttle will bring my front wheel up like nobody's business, I want to know some tips and tricks to do it right.

it's just a thought...but admit it....I think we all would like to be able to bring the front wheel up with confidence. and I will be man enough to admit that some negative comments I have made towards the guy who can wheelie through 3-4 gears is from my own lack of ability to do so myself.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Long Live the D

Comment

there we go.....great vid. now i just need to drop a tooth on the front sprocket...and add 1 or 2 to the back and I can start tapping into some of my resources. there is NO rolling/throttle wheelie with my bike. geared too high for the weight of it. did the speed thing....now I want to try something new and different.

Comment

erm i think the ket i reved my 93 to about 6 grand to get her up in first...

start low work your way up work the rear break it keeps ya from loopin.. and well...

once you feel the bike to be totally weightless you have found the BP you can run all day long in 1st gear once you find the BP just be light on the throttle...
        Woody
        http://www.nationalcyclesupply.net
        http://www.ncsupply.com

Comment

and it'd probably be best to come down as softly as possible on a bike like a kat.

Long Live the D

Comment

Thats a very good vid. They do well to teach it in a resposible manner and explain the procedures in normal every day terms.

Ive known a couple people that have gone to the Star Boyz Wheelie school . http://www.superstreetbike.com/features/122_0336_s2n/

And came away with very favorable reviews of the instructors and skills they learned.

Comment

'07 SV1000S
              Power Commander III USB
              M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
              Driven 520 chain kit
              Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

I agree with you Mojoe, short wheelies are more fun than going fast IMHO. I like stoppies even more, but probably because I have an easier time with them (for whatever reason). I really don't stunt at all with the Kat because it's just not built for it. I'll do a wheelie here and there, but the bike is do darn heavy when it comes down I know I'm toasting my front end. Same with the stoppie on the Kat. Maybe that's why stunts in general are frowned upon here - most Kat riders didn't buy their bikes to stunt, but to ride, and many of us aren't in our 20s anymore

Now go to a Gixxer board and you'll see plenty of stunt talk . The Gixxer brings out the stunter in you, but the Kat really doesn't. Kinda like when you feel the urge to drive fast in a sports car, but not in a family sedan.

Good luck with the wheelie. I can get a rolling wheelie going on my Kat so maybe you just need to give it another try or two? I've never had the guts to wheelie out of first gear because of the weight of the bike - I don't wanna bring it down going 40 MPH...
                ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
                  ... and many of us aren't in our 20s anymore .
                  I'm not there yet...
                  I've done 1 roll on wheelie, and I bring it up often via clutch
                  and stoppies are fun

But, I'd like a lighter faster bike for more wheelies/better balance
                  Live and Lean.
                  When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                  "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                  Romans 3:23

Comment

I want to stunt Range's Daytona.

Comment

please wear a helmit

Comment

Beater

Why not go shares with some mates (always safer to have some one to watch out for you when stunting as well) or get your self an old beater. There are a lot of stunt days at tracks and outfits that will teach you stunts like wheelies etc, most provide bikes with anti flip bars and other safety bits.
                        It always more fun crashing someone elses bike.
                        1996 Suzuki gsx-f 750 fighter
                        1988 Yamaha tzr 250 with tt350 fourstroke fitted
                        2004 Schwinn stingray with 80cc twostroke fitted

Comment

I'm always in full riding gear, absolutely always
                          I'm rather attached to my skin
                          Live and Lean.
                          When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                          "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                          Romans 3:23

Comment

wasn't there a posting last summer about someone at one of these wheelie schools getting killed? I believe there was....a female if I remember correctly.

Comment

spent too much on the kat to do it with that...been thinking about picking up a dirtbike or a junked streetbike to play on...
                              -Tiny

'05 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X