X

Beginner, have a few questions.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner, have a few questions.

Hey, I'm 16 years old from wisconsin and new to the forum which is a great place btw. I can't take the motorcycle safety course until summer because of school and my job, so I am going to be getting a bike next spring, and am just trying to price things up.

First off would I be fine starting off with a 1998-2001 Katana 600? Some people say its too powerful, but I think if i don't do anything dumb i would be fine, but I am asking because you guys know more than me.

I will have 2000-2800 saved up by spring, and would be able to take a loan of less than 1k for any extra of the bike.

A few other questions are... What price should I be looking to spend on a bike that is a good running bike from the years i mentioned? Also, about how much will insurance be for me at the age of 17 when i get my bike and living in wisconsin?

Thanks all in advanced, and even though it is a while a way, i hope i can get together with some of you for group rides next year.

Try doing a search on the forums and you'll find lots of peoples' opinions on this topic.

If you have a decent amount of control, you can start on a Katana 600. I did, though I was 22 at the time. It's relatively powerful, but if you keep the revs low, it's not too overwhelming for a beginner. You might want to think about starting on a Ninja 250/500 or a GS500 if you're worried it might be too much. The Katana is heavy and difficult to manage at slower speeds.

$2800 should be enough for the bike, title, tax, etc. It depends on your market, the kind of deal you get, the shape the bike is in, among other factors, so it's hard to say what to expect to pay. I'd factor in $250-750 for gear to get you started. Get good stuff. You can find competitive prices on good gear on sites like NewEnough.com. Check out their closeout section when the time rolls around.

I can't really tell you much about insurance either. I pay $374 a year for liability and comprehensive (including theft). I'm not getting the best rate due to various reasons, but being 17, I'd expect to pay more than that for the same coverage. Call as many companies as you can and get tons of quotes. Progressive is good insurance at a reasonable price. State Farm is generally very cheap but requires a car to be insured on the policy as well. You can also be denied for insurance based on the people you live with (even if they're not on the policy). I got in a nice fight with them today about it.

Anyway, this should get the conversation started. Have fun. Be safe. The Internet is great for researching. Get as many opinions as you can. I've seen posts like this on virutally every motorcycle message board I've visited. Don't worry about going fast (ie buying the Katana just because it has larger displacement than the other common starter bikes). A Ninja 250 can get you in trouble faster than you'd expect if you don't take motorcycling seriously.

Comment

thanks, that was helpful. Its not that im worried about the katana being too much, its just i posted on another site saying i wanted one and it seemed like everyone flipped and they kept saying its way to powerful. So i figured id ask here where the site is dedicated to this specific bike.

Comment

Wurd. I got my 2000 kat 600 for $2300.00 It had 17,000 miles on it and just a few minor scrapes and scratches. The tires were bald (the only draw back). But I figured I saved a good bit and the bike was what I wanted. Not a gixxer or an r6, but a GSX Katana. I love the way it feels. Remember that the kats weigh over 400lbs. Remember also that this makes it very forgiving over pot holes and bumps. Plus its hella comfy too. Take your time and try to test a few different ones first.
        I wouldn't be so paranoid... if everyone wasn't out to get me.

Comment

Nice to see someone as young as me wanting this bike!!
          Life's fast so you have to be faster, ride fast and take risks...

Comment

one more question. How many miles is alot of miles for a bike before it goes to hell? I know it depends on how well it is taken care of but there is a point where alot of vehicles start to die out.

Comment

Some say 20,000 miles on a bike and its over the hill.. which is a total crock. Bikes can live well past 50,000-70,000 and counting with no problem IF they are taken care of...but every single bike is different. You can come across a bike with 10,000 miles that was beat all to hell and will give you nothing but problems...just as easy as you can come across one with 40,000 miles that still runs like the day she came off the assembly line.

Comment

My first bike was 2001 YZF600R then I got stupid and raced doing 135mph and broke a few bones(Iwas going thru some tuff relationship problems) with that being said I learned my lesson I haven't been on a bike up until last month when I got a good deal buying a 2002 katana 750. I paid 2300 for it but put about a grand into it for new fairings etc...

With that being said any bike would be ok if you are smart would I pick a 600 for a first yes. Do you have friends that could have you possibly try their bike in a lot or something? I woldn't start with a 250 how much do you know about bikes? Everyone on this forum is pretty knowledgeable and can give you good advice. I enjoy the Kat yeah it may be heavier than other bikes and not as sporty as the GSXR but it is great on turns and I can ride for a few hours without my ass hurting(no comments lol)

It is also cheaper insurance than some others out there. I live in Albany NY and we have the want ad digest I am sure you have something liek that where you are from look into that. Just be safe and buy good gear my joe rocket jacket and helmet saved my life. Good luck maybe sit on a few bikes before buying. I liked the YZF but the kat is better for me and that is only a personal choice. 8)
                "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far. And jman, i don't have any friends that have bikes, but i rode my sisters ex boyfriends and he has a gsxr 750 or 1000, cant remember it was about a year ago, and i thought that bike was a bit much for me, and that is what turned me to the katana. I also don't know a whole lot about bikes, except i know how to ride them lol.

Comment

Holidayinn, I just bought my first street bike and I am coming from dirtbikes. I think the dirtbikes taught me allot and as long as you have the general knowlage and a sane and safe mind I am sure the 600 will be fine. I testrode a gsxr first and then the Kat. the power of the kat comes on nice and eazy compared to the gsxr. I got the Kat because it was so much smoother. I love it so far and cannot wait to really get it out. The rain sticks.

Comment

IMHO, Katana 600 is a good starter bike. I started on one myself. But, you need to know that it is a heavy bike, and you need to get used to it in the begining.
                      If you can't save up enough cash to afford a used one by then, don't take a loan. Bikes are not cheap to run. Between gas, tires, oil, and other scheduald mentinance you will find yourself spending more than what you are expecting.
                      Consider Ninja 250. It is a great bike, low maintenance, and cheap cheap insurance. Usually you can get a few years old one for around 2K. It is 3K brand new, but you should not have to get a new one.
                      Shop for insurance before you get the bike, so you will have an idea what is best for you.

Comment

Check this thread out:

I still believe that the Kat (at least a 98+) is not a great beginners bike.

Comment

I was in almost the same boat as you.. Except I am 23.. I took my motorcycle safety course last fall, and I am GLAD I did.. Before that I've only been on a dirt bike and because I was never shown how to properly ride it, almost killed myself. But, after taking the course, I felt much better about getting on a motorcycle. You want to respect the power of the bike, but don't be scared of it.

I just bought my 98 Katana, seen on profile, for $2200 on eBay.. It had 11,000 miles on it, and it runs great!

The past few days I've been taking longer trips and putting myself in different situations. When you're starting out, you don't want overwhelm yourself with dangerous situations, take your time and ride defensively. Nothing worse than having to do something on your bike you've never done before and you're in a life or death situation.

Buying this bike has been one of my best purchases, and I love it! Don't take the ability of riding for granted, have fun but be safe!

Comment

Before I make any suggestions, let's ask some very rudimentary, basic questions:

(A) How tall are you?
                            (B) How long is your inseam?
                            (C) How much do you weigh?
                            (D) Would you say you're muscular, pudgy, fat, skinny, scrawny, etc?

All of these play heavily into whether a larger, heavy bike like the Kat would be suitable.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CyberPoet is right, I am 6'0 and 185lbs.. A couple years ago I was only 165, and this bike would have been too heavy.. I would definately not want to be any lighter than I an now for this bike. I have a slim build, but I'm comfortable holding the bike with just my legs if needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X