X

New to Kats, not to mechanics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Kats, not to mechanics

Hi all, Im Dennis. I just got an 88 1100FJ in a complete state of neglect. The whole bike is there, minus the lower fairings, but ALL of it needs refurbishing. At the moment I am dealing with the rusty tank and rebuilding the carbs. The front brake master cylinder is soaking for a few days, and the rest of the bike WILL get attention, but I have to start somewhere.

I made an introductions post if you'd like to know more about me, but I'm looking forward to getting some quality knowledge here and using it to build a quality bike.
    1988 GSX1100FJ
    sigpic
    Instagram @derdmn
    1976 Dodge Aspen 225 slant six
    2013 Chevy Equinox 2.3 EcoTec (plans for turbo system)

build thread in the long term projects page
    1988 GSX1100FJ
    sigpic
    Instagram @derdmn

Comment

What up hommie ? .... anyway, you need to know the Kat 1100 motor is made of bull shit, soft metal,...aluminum from out side the united states...
      That being said, I'm in the same sitution as you. If you want the Kat-1100 to live on a budget, you'll need to pay special attention to details ! My first injection, if your having trouble with your clutch....is to convert to a cable clutch, from a 600 or 750cc bike, "Katana"...you feel me? ~! Anyway, I'm drunk...so let me know if you need more assistance. PEACE BRO...
      Last edited by katanarider; 02-19-2017, 03:54 AM.
      My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
        PEACE BRO...
        thanks for the advice man. Yeah, I need to learn all the little things that only come from experience from youzguyz . hope youre feelin alright today!
        1988 GSX1100FJ
        sigpic
        Instagram @derdmn

Comment

Use Apple Cider Vinegar to de-rust your tank. Its a temp solution, but till you get the bike running proper...its a fix.
          P.S, if you want to part it...I may be interested in the fork stems.
          Peaaaaace, later bro !

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
            Use Apple Cider Vinegar to de-rust your tank. Its a temp solution, but till you get the bike running proper...its a fix.
            P.S, if you want to part it...I may be interested in the fork stems.
            Peaaaaace, later bro !
            Fork stems? Is that referencing the Upper tubes, or some other parts?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just the forks in general...the '88 doesn't have the cartridge inserts...I like those the best !
              EDIT: Really, most people say the '88 is the worst model, because of the suspension..., but I begg to differ. I like the '88 the most, because it has the old style front shocks. If you choose, you can switch to Kat-600/750 forks / fender ...tho they're shorter, lowers the front about 3 inches, I think ;-/
              Last edited by katanarider; 03-01-2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X