Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Anyone Used 1200 Bandit Carbs On Their 1100F?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Used 1200 Bandit Carbs On Their 1100F?

Hello there folks,

Having given up on ever stopping my carbs from doing a 1st rate impression of the titanic I've bitten the bullet and won a set of 1200 bandit carbs. They come with twin oval kn filters and a stage3 dynojet kit already fitted,the rest of the kit plus all the standard parts are included also. I'm also hoping to land a full gsxr1100 remus exhaust to compliment the carbs.

Has anyone here used the 1200 carbs on an otherwise standard 1100f

Anyone got any tips or tricks for me?

Cheers,
    Daz.
    I'm Only 4 Fut 3, But I Look A Lot Bigger From A Distance?

In case you were unaware, starting info:
    1100 (1988-1993)
    Type BST34SS
    Main jets
    carbs 1 and 4 - 112.5
    carbs 2 and 3 - 110
    Main air jet 0.6mm
    Jet needle
    California 5DL16
    US except California 5DL11
    UK 5DL7-3
    Needle jet
    California and UK P-0
    All other P-2
    Pilot jet
    California and UK 42.5
    All other 32.5
    Pilot air jet
    California 155
    US except California 135
    UK 150
    Pilot screw setting
    US 1.5 Turns out
    88-90 UK 2-7/16
    91 on UK 2-1/2

Bandit 1200 http://www.postdiluvian.org/~mason/moto/jetting.html
    Have to scroll down a bit.

Good luck.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

The main difference is the bandit uses 36mm carbs so will probably need the matching inlet rubbers as for the exhaust my bike came with a gsxr exhaust which gave zero clearance to the sump plug and the front pipes had been welded to the doner system.
      If it aint broke polish it

1979 GS7/11 - 1990 GSX1100F

My Rebuild
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133928

Comment

The carbs went on with minimal fuss and faf. The bike they came off, a mk 1200 Bandit, had a nice healthy sounding free flowing micron race can on it. The carbs had been set up on a dyno, they had/have oval KN filters and a stage 3 dynojet kit was used to dial it in. I was expecting to have to do some serious messing with the jetting to get them running even close to right on the big kat. But not so! Its not 100% spot on, but its not that far off! I measured the down pipes on my mates 1200 bandit and the down pipes on the kat and the kats are a lot bigger! So I'm guessing that explains it.

The carbs fit the standard 34 rubbers easily, a little light oil and they slide in nicely. The gsx throttle cable can be used but ideally a bandit cable would probably fit better, but with a little glue and a bit of thought the kat cable works fine. The choke cable fits perfectly.

The throttle response is nice and snappy, the bike feels more eager to rev, but that probably says more about the condition of the old set than this one.
        So far I've only done 20 odd miles so cant really comment beyond that, I'm gunna be using it for work all week so I'll be in a better position to comment, mpg is something I'm hoping hasn't been to negatively effected.

Comment

That's good to know the carbs fit well which gives the option of fitting 10 year younger carbs.
          Forgot to ask, is the electrical gubbins on no 4 carb redundant on the gsx?
          Last edited by Locomotion; 11-29-2015, 01:23 PM.

My Rebuild

Comment

Wonderful news !
            Thanks for the info Bettyswolloks
            My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Well took here part way to work, I can get a lift the other half, and it was faultless
              Gunna be doing the whole 50ish mile commute tomorrow so that should show up and issues.

The electrical gubbings, the throttle position sensor, has to be removed to get them in there.

So far so good

Comment

Are you using the gsx airbox or the k&ns

My Rebuild

Comment

I'm using the KN filters, the airbox just wouldn't fit, the airbox side of the carb is a lot bigger than the 34's

One thing I forgot to mention, the 36's only have one fuel line so one of the outlets on the tank has to be blocked off somehow, all I did was find a bolt big enough to fit inside the petrol pipe to block the end of a small length of pipe, simples!

Comment

The edge of the filters are right against the top edge of the side panels, which sit just where me knees sit. Around 3/4k rpm the filters start to suck in some big air and actually suck's knees inwards! LoL!!

All Good So Far Still
                    Last edited by Bettyswolloks; 12-04-2015, 05:17 PM.

Comment

If your concerned with fitment, I've got these ebay cone filters on my bike. They fit really well since the cone shape is smaller in diameter. In my opinion they are better because they're independent units/don't share air flow with the neighboring carb. Plus, they seem to allow more air into the diaphragm since they're cone shaped which is better for tune up purposes. They are not cloth like the K&N filters. The fabric is a thin synthetic-man-made material, but it seems really durable. I've pressure washed mine several times and scrubbed them with a thick heavy duty brush. EDIT: Though I don't recommend doing that very often because there is a chance you may rip them. I usually use a tooth brush then submerge them in a 5 gallon bucket of warm soapy water. I know they aren't just going to just fall apart on you. Trust me, I've abused mine for about 6 years with out any complaints !
                      Last edited by katanarider; 12-04-2015, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Thanx for that. I'm not bothered about the fitment, they fit well and work really well. I've always used KN filters, if you look after them right they last a lifetime.

Comment

It may be a little much to ask, but can you record video of your Kat-11 running so I can tell if I want pod filters ?
                          EDIT: I want a GoPro or iPhone handle bar holder so I can record my ride.

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                            It may be a little much to ask, but can you record video of your Kat-11 running so I can tell if I want pod filters ?
                            EDIT: I want a GoPro or iPhone handle bar holder so I can record my ride.

I'll see what I can do for you, just brought my phone into the modern age with a new fangled iPhone thing, still getting used to it so give me a few daze

Comment

Thanks
                              Its just I've been told by several people that pods filters cause a flat spot in the torque curve..just thought I would ask.
                              Last edited by katanarider; 12-10-2015, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X