Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

White smoke - should I buy this Project Bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White smoke - should I buy this Project Bike?

Hi guys!

I am looking at buying a 1991 Katana 1100 project with 23,000 miles. The bike ran fine a few months ago, it allegedly raced a 700hp Mustang and beat it (legally I am sure ). The owner recently tried to start it and it was puffing white smoke out of one exhaust, idling rough, and he said it sounded like it was running without one of the cylinders. He has reported issues with the petcock leaking in the past.

My best guess is that the petcock leaked, dumped fuel into one (or more?) of the cylinders, and when he ran it the unburned fuel got thrown into the exhaust pipe where it burned and produced the smoke.

This is my first project bike; I am a mechanical engineer but don't have too much experience working on bikes. I have done a valve adjustment before, but want a project to work on. It sounds to me like this bike needs:

-Serious carb cleaning
    -New/Rebuilt/Fixed petcock
    -New plugs
    -Oil change
    -Hope that the fuel/oil mixing that has likely happened hasn't caused damage.

Does my assessment sound right to you seasoned experts? Do think the bad idle and white smoke could be caused by something else more serious?

The price is good. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

No thoughts on the smoke or state of the engine. But generally old motorcycles need tires, brakes, brake hoses, fork seals, chain, sprockets, improved front springs, rebuilt rear shock, lots of time and love.

Unless it has some of these then a project bike is maybe worth $600. Just something to think about. I have seen very nice Kat 1100 sell for $2000-3000. Likely nice ones are even less these days.
    '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

White exhaust = water
      Blue = oil
      Black = fuel.

So I wouldn't worry about the exhaust. But +1 to what you already think it'll need and to what ^ said. You'll likely have to drop a fair amount into it to make it safe and really rideable. Even if it was operating a few months ago, with miles that low it did a lot of sitting and probably didn't get much TLC.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I've never been able to tell a difference between white smoke and blue smoke. It all looks white to me.
        Anyway, my bike smokes some times at idle and it tends to heat up rapidly. It all seems to clear up and cool down when I run it around the yard. I guess the main jets are pumping at that point instead of the pilots. That being said, according to the repair manual (sticky thread) , leaned out fuel mixture can cause smoke. Causes, clogged pilot jet or fuel bowls/floats out of adjustment.
        Good thing about these bikes, you can always swap engines from early GSXRs, smaller Katanas or Bandits.
        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Go for it but be prepared to put more time and money in it then you want and you will be fine Thats my motto with my project lol.
          Follow my custom build thread! (check first post for major updates and to sell me parts!)

Free Parts

Comment

Thanks so much for all the advice guys,

Turns out he sold it minutes after we got off the phone. Brilliant!

I'm actually looking at another Katana, a 750 now - I will start a new thread. This one is from Nevada and I would have to register in California... here we go.

Comment

Working...
            X